World Cup QF: Sep 6 GDT - Germany vs. Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eds

Aug 22, 2004
Helsinki
I wouldn't say this was a lucky victory for Finns; rather a bad game against an opponent who was weaker but knew exactly what they were doing. It was very clear in the first period that Germany wasn't even trying to play at all, just making the Finns skate into the defensive wall time after time. Then, they got themselves into the game by adding speed in the beginning of the second period against a frustrated and still somewhat unawake Finnish team. Very good from Germany, but in the end they just didn't have enough capable players to use the chances they got to put the puck in the net. I'd say it was the overall better skill (and that includes goaltending) that finally secured the victory for Finland. It wasn't pretty, but it brought us the tickets to the other side of the Atlantic.

And I'm rambling again. Someone stop me before the next game starts. :teach:

SChan*

Germany outshot Finland 28-24, and I also counted more scoring chances for them.

Finland was extremly lucky., and kipprusof saved them today.

Jamina

Dec 17, 2002
Helsinki
Visit site
Finland - German 2-1 (0-0,1-0,1-1) :lol

30.50 1-0 Hagman (Kapanen, Timonen)pp
53.58 1-1 Sturm (Goc)
56.38 2-1 Eloranta (Timonen, Jokinen)

FIN 2x2min, GER 4x2min

Goalies
Miikka Kiprusoff FIN 3+14+10=27
Olaf Kölzig GER 10+ 7+ 5=22

gib

Feb 3, 2004
SergeiK said:
I`m pretty sure that couple of players will jump out of the plane with parachutes when Raimo gets one his manic phases.

:lol

I wouldn`t be suprised if Summanen will be "delivered" to NA same way as hannibal lecter used to be delivered. Old goalie mask on his face, wearing orange straitjacket and handcuffs.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
gib said:
Exactly :lol I am starting to think Summanen is real a clown. Saying this was great game by us and we are now back on top of hockey world. My ass! With performance like this we are nowhere close to top! I am sure Summanen and boys will have enjoyable flyight to NA.

Sorry but this game put us in the top 4. If you did not notice, you are just ignorant. Nobody cares about style.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Germany was never even close to a win. You guys should get the grip already. All the top 7 teams can score on germany almost at will...they can keep the games close when they are underestimated and when they go defense first...but the differense is still huge.

gib

Feb 3, 2004
psycho_dad said:
Sorry but this game put us in the top 4. If you did not notice, you are just ignorant. Nobody cares about style.

Two days ago Summanen wanted his team to play exactly like he wanted. Strictly follow his game plan. Today the hole team was just battling for their lifes and they sure didn`t play like Summanen wanted em to play. But somehow it didn`t matter to Summanen today??? He was so lucky to get away of the panic sitution which Germany caused.

edit. And I am so happy if Finland will win WC with that kind of a play. Who cares about style?

Last edited:
psycho_dad said:
Germany was never even close to a win. You guys should get the grip already. All the top 7 teams can score on germany almost at will...they can keep the games close when they are underestimated and when they go defense first...but the differense is still huge.
Yeah. It was total Finnish domination all the way. Too bad Finns didn`t seem to want score.

Eds

Aug 22, 2004
Helsinki
psycho_dad said:

Precisely. Germany had their chances, but they didn't have the skill to put the puck in the net, except for once. If Finland could do it twice with less shots and less effort (and without any post-to-post-to-post-to-goal lucky shots) it's the better skill and efficiency that took the game home, not luck. Most of Germany's shots weren't even that dangerous.

If this had been some bigger team outshooting Finland 15-30, and the result for the Finns still 2-1, then we could be talking about serious luck.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
Anyway, congrats Finland!
Now only Russia has to beat the US so we can see a good semifinal game! :)

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
psycho_dad said:
So a 1-1 game with momentum and five minutes to play is not close. We have a difference of opinion on that one.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Eds said:
Precisely. Germany had their chances, but they didn't have the skill to put the puck in the net, except for once. If Finland could do it twice with less shots and less effort (and without any post-to-post-to-post-to-goal lucky shots) it's the better skill and efficiency that took the game home, not luck. Most of Germany's shots weren't even that dangerous.

If this had been some bigger team outshooting Finland 15-30, and the result for the Finns still 2-1, then we could be talking about serious luck.

Exactly!

If Germany would have scored 2-1 goal, Finland would have tied it, no question about it. The difference still is that big. Finland did what they needed, not what they are capable of. Finland beat the Czech 4-0, Czech beat germany 7-2. If Finns were REALLY threatened by Germany, it would have looked a lot different.

MeN_Ace2

Dec 22, 2002
Portland, OR
Visit site
Psycho Dad is right on the money.

Finnish team seemed to settle for the one goal lead until Germany scored... and Germany was trying to plug up and slow-down and frustrate the Finns the whole game.

Team Finland did what was necessary for the win. Expect to see a completely different Team Finland against Russia/U.S.A.

MeN_Ace2

Dec 22, 2002
Portland, OR
Visit site
PS. As long as this team wins; I say up yours to all of you Summanen haters.

Niinimaa quit on his TEAM-MATES, not on Summanen. I will never think of Janne the same way again.

EHCler

May 9, 2003
Visit site
Every German knows that we are not on the same level as the Top 7 Nations. :amazed:

It is just anoying to loose so many close games in the knock out stages starting at the Olympics in 1992.

I do not know what the expectations of some people here are, we are not gonna be able to outplay a top 7 side, today is just about as good as we can play. Yeah finns were in complete control. :shakehead

IF you score the winning goal with less than 5 Minutes to go that will include luck.

MeN_Ace2

Dec 22, 2002
Portland, OR
Visit site
EHCler said:
IF you score the winning goal with less than 5 Minutes to go that will include luck.

Germany played a good game; but only loosers talk about luck in a team sport.

Did you not see Finland sit back on their 1-0 lead and not even try hard? They did what they needed to win, and while Germany could have staged an upset with the late goal this was ALWAYS Finlands game to loose, not Germany's to win.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Let me just say that I'm ashamed by the couple of megahomering finns in this thread (you know who you are).

This was a very tough game for finns and without Kipper it could have gone either way in the end.

Kudos to germans for playing tactically mature (if boring) gamestyle, with better finishing they would have won.

Had Germans made it 2-1 near the end of 3rd it would have been full panic inside Team Finland, claiming anything else is simply wishful thinking.

Dale

Nov 22, 2002
Edmonton
Visit site
MeN_Ace2 said:
PS. As long as this team wins; I say up yours to all of you Summanen haters.

Niinimaa quit on his TEAM-MATES, not on Summanen. I will never think of Janne the same way again.

Cant agree. Janne has played for every national team that asked him which is the vast majority-even when beat-up, tired and hurt which he usually was when playing for the Oilers. Last year he played with a bad knee at the Worlds because he thought the his country's team needed him.

This year he gets left off the team and the likes of BERG are asked. Very hurtful for a proud Finn. Then they ask him to fill in for Jere, in fact phoning him more than once to convince him when he had doubts. They probably agreed not to do anything to embarrass Niinimaa AGAIN and undoubtably than is just what Summanen did.

If I were Janne I would have left too and I'm sure his teamates, being proud as well, understood where he was coming from.

He played well in the tournament to date and did not warrent benching if that was what happened.

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
Dan Galvin said:
Hoping for the German upset. :shakehead All the best games of the tournament haven't been televised by ESPN. :shakehead

Yeah I really missed that 5-2 game last night. :shakehead Geez ESPN takes more crap when they are showing 16 of 20 games. And even the games they arent showing they made it free on espn broadband which is usually about 30+ bucks a month. ESPN has contracts, but obviously its hard for some people to process the thought that ESPN has the obligation to show other sports than hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad