World Cup: World Cup personal experience

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I went to the 1998 WC in 98 as a kid (17) with my dad and his mate.
I went to the 2006 WC with my friends and to the 2008 EURO in Vienna with my work colleagues (company is owned by Austrians, still is).

I never experienced a tournament atmosphere outside of Europe, but in Europe, it's surreal.
All these fans, football culture, you feel safe and comfortable, etc. It was magic.

One of my friends is a guy who goes everywhere with the NT (or rather went, he's going much less often these days, has two kids)... But before that he went to S. Korea in 2002 and Brazil in 2014.
While it's exotic, he did say the overall atmosphere in Korea didn't match up, and that Brazil didn't really feel safe.

Last edited:
Reactions: maclean

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
In 2006 I tried to get tickets online. Yeah that turned out to be pretty much impossible. But I did go to the fan park events a few times. It was nice enough, but not my jam really.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Started watching football during the 06 World Cup... I'm 1/4 Italian and got into it that way. I remember being in a Halo 2 party chat of all places watching the final and the Zidane headbutt blew us all away haha.

2010 was special of course as a US fan, and I remember almost getting in trouble at work watching the Algeria match.

2014 I went to a watch party for 3 of the 4 US games in Minneapolis.

2018 I attended one match, the round of 16 Russia Spain match in Moscow. It was unreal and despite the US missing out in 2018, I'm so glad I got to experience it.

I went to the Women's World Cup in 2019 and saw the US/France quarterfinal in Paris. Again an incredible experience and being able to cheer on my country for the first time in person was special.

And now in 2022 I'm currently en route to Doha where I'll spend a week and get to see at least 8 matches in the next week. Going to be spectacular.

Reactions: robertmac43

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3