World Cup officially expands to 48 teams

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Then as anyone who played knows, kids' coaches barely coach at all. I'm not even sure we ever practised, if so once a week max. Here in the Czech Republic my son has three practices a week, then one or more games each weekend, though he doesn't always get nominated for them because only the best kids get nominated, which is another difference. As a kid I was definitely glad that everyone got a chance to play, but at the end of the day a more demanding system produces better players. On my son's team they are expected to be able to juggle the ball, to know dekes, etc. Nobody cared about that when I played as a kid in Canada.

This is changing but its a long, arduous process (and isn't helped by the generally high amount of moron parents who care not for player development and only about winning U-9 trophies).

senators101

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
It is most played by kids but often just as a gateway sport that gives way to other sports when kids get older. I remember around age 11-13 people stopped wanting to play soccer at recess and wanted to play basketball or american football. By high school we didn't even have a school soccer team for boys, just for girls.

Then as anyone who played knows, kids' coaches barely coach at all. I'm not even sure we ever practised, if so once a week max. Here in the Czech Republic my son has three practices a week, then one or more games each weekend, though he doesn't always get nominated for them because only the best kids get nominated, which is another difference. As a kid I was definitely glad that everyone got a chance to play, but at the end of the day a more demanding system produces better players. On my son's team they are expected to be able to juggle the ball, to know dekes, etc. Nobody cared about that when I played as a kid in Canada.

Also, in Canada people put their kids in soccer but never played seriously themselves. In strong soccer countries there is much more continuity - kids' fathers are good at the game and pass along skills to kids from a young age. And to exaggerate slightly, every male adult played the game as a kid has something to pass along.

The last thing I would say is that in Canada people tend to live far away from each other. This makes it harder for pick-up games to happen. In Europe and elsewhere kids who like football are often able to play it every single day, every single free moment. When I was a kid I had no one to play with when I wasn't at school or an actual game.

Training schedules have always been based on level. I used to play provincial until university (12 years ago) and we had three full training sessions a week (one of them being over 3 hours).

But things are definitely changing more now and it's becoming a lot more technical, which is great to see.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Also don't forget the politics between the different provincial associations.

There's no unity between them.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I cannot put into words how much I hate the 3 team groups and penalty kicks after 90.

They should have just said "**** it" and expanded bigger so that we could have 4 team groups again.

Or do a bracket tournament instead.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Hard to say what happens 8-9 years from now, but a team like India didn't even qualify for a 24-team Asian Cup, they aren't even a top 15 team in Asia to be honest and probably won't be for a while. China is a different story, they are down right now but with the finances they are putting into their academies you would like to think 10-20 years from now they should field a competitive team
The teams that will benefit from this change in Asia are the middle eastern teams like Iraq and Iran.

As is the pecking order in Asia works as such.

1. Japan/Korea They typically have some decent players and play actual football with European based players.

2. Australia They play bearable football with a couple European based players sprinkled in.

3. ME teams, Iraq, Iran, Pakistan, Oman, UAE, Saudi Arabia, ect, ect...They play with decent organization but little real skill. They will just park the bus at the WC level and will drag down the competition.

4. China. They suck and mainly play rugby style garbage, but they're at least better than...

4. Southeast Asian teams which are horrible and literally dream of having K/J league level players.

Get ready for lots of park the bus desert football guys.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
My least favourite part of this expansion is the fact that it ruins the amazing story that comes around every few world cups where a Nation heroically makes into the tournament. Now there are going to be so many mediocre teams making it in, taking away from its prestige.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
The expanded Euro last year was hands down the worst football tournament I've seen in my life. And these third tier European teams like Northern Ireland and Albania are miles better than a whole bunch of teams that will now qualify for the World Cup.:laugh:

If Canada, as is, can qualify for a WC, that tells me it's a very very poor tournament.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Itália 90 was still worse.

Top 3 worst of all time

1. WC 2002 (not because of play level only but the competition as a whole was utterly **** from reffing to level of play)
2. Euro 2016
3. Euro 2004

HM: WC 90

Euro 2000 remains the best I've ever seen. WC 86 was also amazing although I was too young to watch live.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
The expanded Euro last year was hands down the worst football tournament I've seen in my life. And these third tier European teams like Northern Ireland and Albania are miles better than a whole bunch of teams that will now qualify for the World Cup.:laugh:

If Canada, as is, can qualify for a WC, that tells me it's a very very poor tournament.

I don't disagree, but you also got Iceland (can't remember but I guess the might have potentially qualified with the old format through a playoff).

I wonder what FIFA will use all the money for. Seems so completely useless this expansion.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
UEFA asks for 16 places (one team for each group). That number was also what was rumored anyway when the expansion was made official so not really an over-reach by UEFA

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Infantino says that the Trump immigration ban will prevent the US hosting the WC 2026.

Trump won't be president by then any way.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Italia 90
South Africa 2010

Total snooze fests

The best WC my dad has ever watched - to this day - is the 1970 WC; he told me there was virtually no weak team

Yes his idol is Pele, so he might be biased, but he remembers watching some classics like West Germany vs Italy or Brazil vs England live and according to him it was a special experience

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I highly doubt this bid will be bribe-based.

Even if they are still as corrupt as ever, which I'm sure they are, it's just simply under too much of a microscope after the big scandal to get away with it for this bid.

Yeh, 1994 was a success, all the arenas are pretty much built already (I guess), no chance of crowd trouble (hoooligans know someone might pull a gun on them), general public is more in to the game than in 1994. Guaranteed success. They should've gotten to host in 2022 already...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad