World Cup officially expands to 48 teams

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Yes, the expansion kicks in after Russia(?) and Qatar. I'll boycott the WC in Qatar for different reasons.
With 48 teams in the tournament there will be matches between Jamaica and Burkia Faso (no offence). Good luck with that.

I have boycotted 2014 and will boycott 2018 and 2022 that much is certain, beyond that depends on what FIFA does going forward. This expansion has no effect on my decision one way or another.

I know I am one of very few people, but a match between Burkina Faso and Jamaica would interest me a lot more than watching France vs. Spain, Brazil vs. Italy or Germany vs. Argentina for the umpteenth time.
But that is just me.

It will be interesting to analyse in a few decades if this turns into to a success, or if FIFA finally found a way to do something that will actually hurt their product in a way that will cost them money. Because so far they were able to do whatever they wanted and we were still watching it all and making sure that the money kept flowing into some of the right and all of the wrong pockets.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Very fair point.

I can't believe how such a rich and relatively populous country can suck so bad. Especially when it is the most played sport in the country and has been for 2 decades.

I know why, but it is still mind-boggling.
Really poor coaching.Especially at the lower levels.If you can't teach the basics properly, you're not going to produce superstars.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
If that allocation is correct, New Zealand would be pretty much guaranteed a spot in the world cup.

For now it seems like it, but by the time the expansion happens other teams like New Caledonia, Tahiti, Solomon Islands, Fidschi or Samoa may have a decent shot. It's not like New Zealand just walked all over the competition last time. While they won every game in the final round, some of the results were quite close.

Subban signed e5

Jun 21, 2012
For now it seems like it, but by the time the expansion happens other teams like New Caledonia, Tahiti, Solomon Islands, Fidschi or Samoa may have a decent shot. It's not like New Zealand just walked all over the competition last time. While they won every game in the final round, some of the results were quite close.

Maybe even Australia could try to get back in OFC?

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Really poor coaching.Especially at the lower levels.If you can't teach the basics properly, you're not going to produce superstars.

Agreed. We have great soccer "athletes" (strong, fast, etc), but we are very poor technically and tactically. Until coaching AND the structure for the elite improve, we will continue to suck on the Mens side and we will start sucking in the Womens game very soon (European countries have PRO leagues sponsored by their D1 teams where their girls can earn a living playing soccer). The pro academies in Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver are a nice start, but there are not enough. Hopefully CPL helps fix the problem.

Christine Sinclair, our best player ever male or female, has played more NT games than club games in her career. That's quite sad.

Just Win

Nov 3, 2008
Stuttgart
And after 2-3 tourneys, they will probably "realize" that 16 groups with 3 teams sucks and use that as excuse to expand to 64 teams.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
There is a good chance IMO that Canada will be awarded the bid with the US and Mexico.

Yeah pretty much this. Think we'll see the entire North American region (ie Canada/US/Mexico) host.

2022 is now the last time Canada has a chance of qualifying for a legitimate World Cup, because this is nothing more than a cash grab joke. Half the joy of Canada struggling forever to qualify is at least that if they were to qualify, they'd have to truly earn it.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Can't wait to watch those exciting 3-team groups consisting of crap teams from Africa and Asia.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Can't wait for Canada to be utterly destroyed by Germany or France. At least we have a shot at making it now :laugh:

German sports magazine kicker say 6,5 teams from North- and Central America. Mexico and USA are better than Canada. Is Canada better than Panama, Costa Rica or Jamaica? Even if not, you only need to finish at 6.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Maybe, hell no and no to those three. Costa Rica is closer to #2 in CONCACAF than #4 (which is Honduras), and then some jumble of Jamaica/Trinidad/Panama/El Salvador/Guatemala/Canada get to fight for irrelevance.

My question remains, everyone laughs at CONCACAF for getting 6.5 spots but what the hell has Africa or Asia done to deserve 8-9 spots? Costa Rica went farther than all but...2 (1?) African or Asian teams ever have at a World Cup. I'd take my shot on El Salvador putting on a better show than UAE or some crap.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Maybe, hell no and no to those three. Costa Rica is closer to #2 in CONCACAF than #4 (which is Honduras), and then some jumble of Jamaica/Trinidad/Panama/El Salvador/Guatemala/Canada get to fight for irrelevance.

My question remains, everyone laughs at CONCACAF for getting 6.5 spots but what the hell has Africa or Asia done to deserve 8-9 spots? Costa Rica went farther than all but...2 (1?) African or Asian teams ever have at a World Cup. I'd take my shot on El Salvador putting on a better show than UAE or some crap.

I won't play the corruption card, but...

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
But we were so good at corruption before. Now that a Canadian's in charge we've gone soft :(

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
This. I guess I wont even bother to watch any other games beside the semis and final.

When I started watching WC games back in the day the tournament contained 16 teams. Well, times change and Asia or Africa developped since then. But 24 teams should be the max.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
The idea of 10 Asian teams at the World Cup is hysterical. The few they send now can hardly cut it. Did they even win a game in 2014? CONCACAF outside of the main three are completely useless as well.

The quality of this tournament is going to be diluted far more than what we saw at Euro 2016.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad