OT: World Cup of Soccer and General Soccer Talk

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Looks like it's going to be an all Canada Eastern Conference Final as Canada will be now 1 step closer to saying "Soccer is Canada's game" should Toronto or Montreal win the MLS Cup.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
I threw up my soccer hands last week when Seattle beat Dallas 3-0 in the first leg. Winning the US Open Cup and the Supporters Shield is, by any objective measure, a great season. But damnit ...
Looks like it's going to be an all Canada Eastern Conference Final as Canada will be now 1 step closer to saying "Soccer is Canada's game" should Toronto or Montreal win the MLS Cup.
I severely doubt one season's playoff success will result in any significant portion of their population proclaiming ownership of soccer.

:help:

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
I threw up my soccer hands last week when Seattle beat Dallas 3-0 in the first leg. Winning the US Open Cup and the Supporters Shield is, by any objective measure, a great season. But damnit ... I severely doubt one season's playoff success will result in any significant portion of their population proclaiming ownership of soccer.

:help:

Perhaps, but still, soccer is really growing up in Canada and no doubt having 2 teams from there making it this far is huge for Canada.

Especially the MLS, which sucks.

They're other leagues that are better but the MLS still has some good soccer to watch.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
Especially the MLS, which sucks.
... said the uninformed. Average attendance in 2015 beat Argentina, France, Holland, Brazil, Belgium and Russia, and it beat Germany and England's 2nd divisions. MLS has too many rules enforcing parity for the top clubs to beat the Americas and Monterreys and Cruz Azuls from Mexico, but MLS is probably the most competitive league in soccer and it's a much higher standard than people think. I have a handful of German friends who follow MLS alongside the German Bundesliga and none of them "look down" on it at all.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
MLS is a lot of fun. One of the few things I miss about the time I spent in the Chicago area is holding season tickets for the Fire. Always had a blast and the road trips to Columbus, Toronto and Dallas were awesome.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
... said the uninformed. Average attendance in 2015 beat Argentina, France, Holland, Brazil, Belgium and Russia, and it beat Germany and England's 2nd divisions. MLS has too many rules enforcing parity for the top clubs to beat the Americas and Monterreys and Cruz Azuls from Mexico, but MLS is probably the most competitive league in soccer and it's a much higher standard than people think. I have a handful of German friends who follow MLS alongside the German Bundesliga and none of them "look down" on it at all.

I was half-joking, when I said it sucked.

However, I'm still not much a fan of the MLS, because as a personal preference, I much prefer to watch best-on-best competition, when it comes to professional leagues and would rather see the top athletes regardless of parity levels. That's why I've never been very interested in the KHL, or most college sports (despite college leagues not being professional leagues, technically speaking).

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
MLS will never be relevant with the way US Soccer is run and the ownership structure.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
MLS will never be relevant with the way US Soccer is run and the ownership structure.

You must be referring to the time when AEG owned most of the league. That hasn't been relevant in years. All MLS clubs are now owned by different entities though AEG still owns LA Galaxy.

The local USL side appears to be undergoing the promised re-brand. There's allegedly going to be an "announcement" tomorrow and it looks like it might be this:

http://www.empireofsoccer.com/usls-arizona-united-file-trademark-for-phoenix-rising-fc-55901/

US Soccer has fired Jurgen. I don't think the Bruce Arena band-aid will change much. They should have secured someone else for the interim and they likely could have landed a bigger fish. I'd have preferred they made an attempt to lure Hiddink out of retirement or just gone with a fresh face like Caleb Porter, Dominick Kinnear or Claudio Reyna.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
The local USL side appears to be undergoing the promised re-brand. There's allegedly going to be an "announcement" tomorrow and it looks like it might be this:

http://www.empireofsoccer.com/usls-arizona-united-file-trademark-for-phoenix-rising-fc-55901/
Phoenix Rising? Really? I hope that's for a youth team or something, because that name belongs in the NWSL. Really awful.
US Soccer has fired Jurgen. I don't think the Bruce Arena band-aid will change much. They should have secured someone else for the interim and they likely could have landed a bigger fish. I'd have preferred they made an attempt to lure Hiddink out of retirement or just gone with a fresh face like Caleb Porter, Dominick Kinnear or Claudio Reyna.
I'd much prefer Porter or Dom Kennear over Arena, but rather have Arena than Hiddink. Five years ago, instead of Klinsman? Absolutely. But Hiddink has been on a working holiday since he left the Russia job in 2010. And he's 70. I'd be curious to see the alternate universe where they hire him in 2006 instead of Bob Bradley and hand him the keys and give him 10 years to shape the thing, but chances are pretty good Guus Hiddink will be dead in 10 years. He's not the man to make the organizational changes needed to make US soccer the world power that it should be.

That said, Arena will do a good enough job getting results out of his players. He'll get us through the hex and to Russia 2018, which is the most pressing need at the moment. The larger problems -- lack of continuity in US pro / club / NCAA development standards ... that an economics professor has a side gig as the head of US soccer -- are for another day.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/colombia-authorities-responding-plane-crash-43836931

A chartered plane with a Brazilian first division soccer team crashed near Medellin while on its way to the finals of a regional tournament, killing 76 people, Colombian officials said Tuesday. Five people survived.

The British Aerospace 146 short-haul plane, operated by a charter airline named LaMia, declared an emergency at 10 p.m. Monday (0300 GMT) because of an electrical failure, aviation authorities said.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Seattle wins it in sudden death on penalty kicks despite getting outshot in the game and Toronto had 2 big chances in the last 15 minutes of extra time.

Lots of people will be whining about how it's stupid to decide a game in penalty kicks.

Last edited:

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Seattle wins without registering a single shot on goal in the game. That seems really odd to write.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
http://www.12news.com/sports/phoenix-added-to-mls-list-for-possible-expansion-cities/393670036

Arizona could see a Major League Soccer team sooner than expected.

Thursday, Phoenix Rising FC announced that Phoenix had been invited by MLS to bid for an expansion team after a meeting between the league and the team's ownership group last week in New York City.

Applications are due next Tuesday, Jan. 31, and at least 10 other cities are competing for two MLS expansion franchises.

Would be nice to have a team here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad