World Cup of Hockey '96

GuloGulo

Nov 16, 2005
trunkofacamaro
Fetisov's NHL success played a key role. Even though he was a shadow of his former self, he did win three Cups.

He "only" won two as he was traded from the becoming Devils champs to the Wings during the 95 season (and then lost to his former team in the final).

I concur with your post on all other points, especially Howe JR.

Correction: Fetisov also won one cup as assistant coach (total 3)!

Last edited:

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Sorry, but with the exception of three inductions (Tretiak, Fetisov and Kharlamov) it's been the NHL HOF for about 40 years.

A number of inductions have little or nothing to do with the NHL.Among others, Herb Brooks was not elected for his NHL career. Brian Kilrea was elected for contributions to junior hockey, etc.

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
Haha, are you kidding?

The NHL would MUCH rather do the World Cup of Hockey every 4 years rather than brace for a 3-week break in the season for the Olympics

That's probably true but it has little to do with what I said. From what I have read it seems a fact that there are no plans at present for a World Cup of Hockey in 2008.

GuloGulo

Nov 16, 2005
trunkofacamaro
A number of inductions have little or nothing to do with the NHL.Among others, Herb Brooks was not elected for his NHL career. Brian Kilrea was elected for contributions to junior hockey, etc.

But then he did write that "Voters do pay attention to the international stuff for builders. But rarely for players."

espo*

Colorado Springs 1962

79043_168_125.gif

really? How'd we do?

It's certainly time it came back here. 44 years since the worlds were in N.A.Something is seriously wrong with that. just goes to show,no reason for them to complain.

44 years.That's a long time,almost half a century,all in Europe. Hopefully the complaining will stop when they get a good look at how sweet a deal they have had for a long time.But i doubt it, They are already rankling about the small ice in Vancouver so the early signs are'nt positive.But i knew they would'nt be.

My point is,it's time to start playing hockey and not politics.Their teams already do it,now their fans have to.

We'll all be better off.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
But then he did write that "Voters do pay attention to the international stuff for builders. But rarely for players."

I didn't see that but the bottom line is that is called the Hockey Hall of Fame and not the NHL or North American Hall of Fame.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I didn't see that but the bottom line is that is called the Hockey Hall of Fame and not the NHL or North American Hall of Fame.
What it's called, and the voting trends that we've seen in the last 40 years, are two completely different things. If international accomplishments meant anything, then why is Sergei Makarov not in the Hall. Why are Yakushev, Borbov, Mikhailov and Nedomansky not in the Hall? Why did it take Kharlamov 20 attempts?

I'm not saying I agree with it. I don't agree with it. But it's reality. With three exceptions in the player's ward over the last four decades, it has been the NHL HOF. That's not the way it was created to be, but that's the way it is.

I think you do have to draw a line somewhere, or else you admit a guy like Ryan Smyth. I'm a big Ryan Symth fan. I love the way he plays the game, and the way he conducts himself off the ice. He's a decorated Canadian champion, and captained two teams to World titles. But even then, he's not Hall worthy. If international play was a factor, a guy like Adam Foote would likely be a lock.

I think it's great that Herb Brooks is in the HHOF. About bloody time. I think it's great Brian Kilrea's in the HHOF. He's a better coach than most coaches in the NHL, or in the HHOF. I think Dwight McMillian (second in all-time junior coaching wins, eight league championships and two national championships) should be in the HHOF. Again, a better coach than most in the NHL. If he wasn't a screamer (a style that gets tuned out now), he would have made it to the NHL.

Last edited:

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
With the recent inductions (especially Kharlamov) and the addition of Jan-Ake Edvinsson to the selection commitee (who's background is in Europe), I hope it is a trend toward broadening the scope of consideration for induction and that it truly will become the 'Hockey Hall of Fame' in name and in content.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
What went wrong?How come people hate this tourney now? Wasnt Marios goal in 87' a career highlight for him? Personally I love th World Cup and as a hockey fan I would love to see it in 2008.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
What went wrong?How come people hate this tourney now? Wasnt Marios goal in 87' a career highlight for him? Personally I love th World Cup and as a hockey fan I would love to see it in 2008.
I think one of the big reasons is the dissolvement of the USSR, and the disarray of Russian hockey right now. The Russians still crank out some of the most skilled players on the planet, but their hockey leadership is in turmoil, with poor leadership and a bevy of politics. They haven't won a gold medal at the Olympics, Worlds or the World Cup since 1993. That's unfathomable.

What made the late 70s/1980s Canada Cups so special was the Canada/USSR rivalry. There's never been another rivalry like it in international hockey. Canada won in 76. USSR won it in 1981. Canada beat the USSR in the semi-final in 1984, and in the best-of-three final in 1987. All four of those games were classics. That's what's missing from these tournaments.

Even in 1991, it didn't have that special feel to it. The USSR finished fifth at that tournament - a shockingly poor result. It wasn't a bad tournament, but it didn't have the feel of past Canada Cups.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
With the recent inductions (especially Kharlamov) and the addition of Jan-Ake Edvinsson to the selection commitee (who's background is in Europe), I hope it is a trend toward broadening the scope of consideration for induction and that it truly will become the 'Hockey Hall of Fame' in name and in content.
Keep in mind that Kharlamov got in during a week year for first-time inductees. (Mike Vernon is the only player from that class with a shot at the Hall). It looks like the committee decided to induct the two best eligible players not in the HHOF. Kharlamov's induction also coincided with the opening of a new, expanded international section the day before.

I agree that the addition of Jan-Ake Edvinsson is a step forward. But he's still one man on an 18-member selection committee, and players need 14 votes to get in. There's also a lot of strong years up ahead: Francis, Messier, Stevens, MacInnis and Oates are eligible for the first time in 2007. (Claude Lemieux is also eligible for the first time next year, and he will generate a lot of debate).

Yzerman, Andreychuk, Robitaille and Larionov come up in 2009. (I would not put Andreychuk in. I think Larionov will get in in 2009. Three Cup rings and a reputation as one of the true class acts in the sport's history). You're likely going to see guys like Hasek, Chelios, Leetch, Nieuwendyk and Fleury come up for admission within the next five years. Then you have guys like Anderson, Ciccarelli and Gilmour who have a lot of support, but were snubbed. I think Makarov will be inducted alongside Larionov in 2009.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I think one of the big reasons is the dissolvement of the USSR, and the disarray of Russian hockey right now. The Russians still crank out some of the most skilled players on the planet, but their hockey leadership is in turmoil, with poor leadership and a bevy of politics. They haven't won a gold medal at the Olympics, Worlds or the World Cup since 1993. That's unfathomable.

What made the late 70s/1980s Canada Cups so special was the Canada/USSR rivalry. There's never been another rivalry like it in international hockey. Canada won in 76. USSR won it in 1981. Canada beat the USSR in the semi-final in 1984, and in the best-of-three final in 1987. All four of those games were classics. That's what's missing from these tournaments.

Even in 1991, it didn't have that special feel to it. The USSR finished fifth at that tournament - a shockingly poor result. It wasn't a bad tournament, but it didn't have the feel of past Canada Cups.

Good point...anyways for those who rememebr the 96' matchup...Canada vs. Russia how come Nemchimnovs goal didnt count? Im watching it right now but it has russian commentary. Can anyone fill me in? Those of you who watched this game will also remember Lindros hit on Kozlov and Larionovs vicous slash on Lindros

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
:yo: Germany 7 - 1 Czech Republic :yo:

The German players were more interested in getting an autograph from Gretzky than playing against him in the quarterfinal. :biglaugh:

Rumour has it that quite a few of the Belarus players tried to get the autographs of Sundin and Co in 2002...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad