World Cup Format

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I tried forming teams from each province and one from the m
Maritime provinces plus Newfoundland but they ended up pretty weak.

The Atlantic region can't really come close to making a team that is even fully staffed by NHLers. Strangely the region has three elite players, one all star level player, and then nothing of value. Canada East becomes team Quebec with a much needed infusion of elite talent up front.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
My Finland

1st team

Patrik Laine - Aleksander Barkov - Mikael Granlund
Teuvo Teräväinen - Sebastian Aho - Mikko Rantanen
Roope Hintz - Mikko Koivu - Kasperi Kapanen
Erik Haula - Valtteri Filppula - Joel Armia
Henrik Borgström
Kaapo Kakko

Miro Heiskanen - Rasmus Ristolainen
Esa Lindell - Sami Vatanen
Markus Nutivaara - Henri Jokiharju
Olli Määttä - Juuso Riikola

Pekka Rinne
Tuukka Rask
Antti Raanta

2nd team

Artturi Lehkonen - Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Joonas Donskoi
Harri Pesonen - Sakari Manninen - Teemu Pulkkinen
Markus Granlund - Antti Suomela - Jesse Puljujärvi
Joona Luoto - Jori Lehterä - Marko Anttila
Eetu Luostarinen
Miikka Salomäki

Mikko Lehtonen - Juuso Välimäki
Sami Niku - Oliwer Kaski
Ville Heinola - Urho Vaakanainen
Niko Mikkola - Jani Hakanpää

Juuse Saros
Mikko Koskinen
Joonas Korpisalo
That second team would have a hard time. If you spread them evenly they would be more competitive.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
The Atlantic region can't really come close to making a team that is even fully staffed by NHLers. Strangely the region has three elite players, one all star level player, and then nothing of value. Canada East becomes team Quebec with a much needed infusion of elite talent up front.
The Atlantic region has a population of under 2.5 million. The fact that Quebec is so weak is mind boggling. They have a population somewhere between that of Finland and Sweden and would not fare well in a 7 game series against either team. It has to be a grassroots issue. Can anyone here from QUE attest to that?

FullOnSportsFan

Oct 4, 2019
Taking annual hosting turns mostly over the Atlantic, renders Bonafide Games to Canada, USA, Europe, Asia and the NHLPA.

i) Mere 32-Team Playoffs
ii) 4 groups of 4, with 1+2 progressors and 60 min matches, also make every game matter for the Championship
iii) Mere 8-Nation Round-Robin under World League every 5 years, or alternatively the 5 Rings

Otherwise, fan lockout at arenas and TV audiences every Dec. will pressure into True World Championships for our world sport.

DrPabloRamirez

Nov 23, 2010
Who have I omitted? I'll gladly change a lineup if you make a strong argument.
Halak is the best czechoslovak goaltender in the league and the most experienced of course. Panik could be there (4th line). Marincin out, Cernak in.

Babula

May 31, 2012
Can not read that mistakes in spelling some of the Cze-players... Faska it means Faksa, Nicas is nickname for Nečas, and of course Pasternak means Pastrňák.

Funny is that, Jachym Kondelik is on Germany list. he has played WJC-20 for Czech team.

Last edited:

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Not literally-as in war. But fought as a people to have their own sovereign nations.

The separation was rather unpopular at the time and had there been a vote most people in both countries would have opposed it. Joining Slovakia with Hungary would be significantly more controversial.

Hiukafen

Sep 14, 2016
Would be nice to see some updates of these teams. Not maybe Team Finland, Sweden and Russia as you can find them from other threads already.

Ontario
East Canada
West Canada

East USA
West USA (Wisconsin, Illinois, Missouri, Arkansas, Louisiana in West)

Czech + Slovakia
Europe (Denmark, France, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Slovenia, Latvia, Belarus etc.)

Russia
Sweden
Finland

How about the ranking of these 10 teams?

swissdude

May 18, 2019
Would be nice to see some updates of these teams. Not maybe Team Finland, Sweden and Russia as you can find them from other threads already.

Ontario
East Canada
West Canada

East USA

Czech + Slovakia
Europe (Denmark, France, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Slovenia, Latvia, Belarus etc.)

Russia
Sweden
Finland

Nobody outside of north america would give a s**t for that Team Europe, if you really think people in Germany and Switzerland would root for a mixed team your delusional, it doesn't work like in Golf with the Ryder Cup but probably you guys never understand the meaning of national teams in Europe, It seems as if the intellectual horizon ends at the borders of your continent

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016

Ontario
East Canada
West Canada

East USA

Czech + Slovakia

Russia
Sweden
Finland

OMG.
Please no:laugh:

Hiukafen

Sep 14, 2016
Nobody outside of north america would give a s**t for that Team Europe, if you really think people in Germany and Switzerland would root for a mixed team your delusional, it doesn't work like in Golf with the Ryder Cup but probably you guys never understand the meaning of national teams in Europe, It seems as if the intellectual horizon ends at the borders of your continent
I also personally don't want to see teams like that playing in any tournament. I am not Canadian or American I am Finnish. And this thread wasn't my idea just wanted people to create teams that way. If there would have been Sweden+Finland I could probably try to think about the possible roster with Swedes and Finns even I would not personally like to see that Team playing. Didn't want this to be taken so seriously. But anyway would like to see maybe those other teams then. Let's skip Europe.

Last edited:

swissdude

May 18, 2019
I also personally doesn't want to see teams like that playing in any tournament. I am not Canadian or American I am Finnish. And this thread wasn't my idea just wanted people to create teams that way. If there would have been Sweden+Finland I could probably try to think about the possible roster with Swedes and Finns even I would not personally like to see that Team playing. Didn't want this to be taken so seriously. But anyway would like to see maybe those other teams then. Let's skip Europe.
ah ok in this case you could just as well form teams based on their mother tongue, francophones (swiss, french, canadian), german (swiss, austria, germany), italian (italy, swiss, us/can italian origin) etc. :)

Reactions: Hiukafen

Hiukafen

Sep 14, 2016
ah ok in this case you could just as well form teams based on their mother tongue, francophones (swiss, french, canadian), german (swiss, austria, germany), italian (italy, swiss, us/can italian origin) etc. :)
Then maybe Finland, Estonia, Hungary and some 5-6 small monority groups from Russia. :D

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany

I kind of like it as a theoretical exercise, to look at and discuss which players from each nation would make a combined team, and how strong that team would be.
But would I want to see it compete in a World Cup or something like that? The answer would be "hell no!"
I want to see Germany and Switzerland play each other, because it's a great rivalry.

Reactions: Hiukafen

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
few things

1. Czechs and Slovaks did not fight to seperate. It was peaceful a seperation as you will ever seen.

CZECHOSLOVAKIA

Pasternak—-Hertl—-Voracek
Tatar—-Krejci—-Frolik
Vrana—-Zacha—-Simon
Palat—-Faska—-Nicas

Gudas—-Chara
Sekera—-Polak
Kempny—-Cernak

Halak
Rittich

This team has 4 Slovaks on it. I'm not sure how Chara, Cernak, Halak and Tatar would somehow turn us into a threat to Canada? Eliminating 2 weaker teams to make 1 weaker team doesn't make hockey better, it makes it worse.

Using your roster... I could replace Chara with Hronek, Cernak with Rutta, Halak with Mrazek and Tatar with Zadina. Is the team that much worse? Don't get me wrong, I'd welcome all 4 if they were Czech players... it's not that I think they are bad. But I'm not seeing how this makes the Czech team that much stronger?

If you want to give us 4 players then I'll take Vasilievsky, Makar, McDavid and Josi.

FTR.. love my Slovak's and their hockey. I want them independent and succeeding. Combing with us doesn't help them at all.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
The NHL can't have it's own "international" tournament organized properly and what's more important fairly. Just live with it. This is even more ridiculous than what they had with Team Europe and Team NA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad