World Cup Format

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I know that most would like to move away from the gimmicky format that we saw and will most likely see again, myself being one of them. That being said, I had a broken foot over the summer and out of sheer boredom decided to create my own. I posted it on the main boards thinking that it would be a fun summer thread but it didn't get any traction, so I'll attempt it here, where it probably should have been in the first place. So if this looks familiar to you it's because it is a shameless re-post.

I’ve created 10 teams from the following regions; Ontario, Canada West, Canada East, USA West, USA East, Russia, Sweden, Finland, Czechoslovakia (CR and Slovakia combined) and Germanic countries (Germany, Switzerland and Austria combined). I have only used players currently involved in NHL systems playing in NA.

There are obvious omissions from teams like Ontario and Sweden where the depth at certain positions made it very difficult to choose. I’ve also most likely accidentally forgotten someone, so please feel free to yell and scream.

Players are on the team from the region of which they were born in for the most part, but there is the odd case where that doesn’t apply.

USA EAST

Gaudreau—-Eichel—-P. Kane
Connor—-Larkin—-Atkinson
Debrincat—-Hayes—-Saad
Pacioretty—-Hughes—-Kreider

Warensky—-Carlson
Pesce—-Hanifin
Krug—-McAvoy

Gibson
Hellebuyck

USA WEST

M. Tkachuck—- Matthews—-Wheeler
Keller—-Pavelski—-Kessel
Lee—-Nelson—-Oshie
Guentzel—-Mittelstadt—-B. Tkachuk

Slavin—-Jones
Byfuglien—-Trouba
McDonagh—-Suter

Bishop
Miller

ONTARIO

Monahan—-McDavid—-Couture
Stamkos—-Tavares—-Marner
Seguin—-Scheifele—Duchene
Jenner—-O’Reilly—-Giroux

Burns—-Doughty
Subban—-Pietrangelo
Ellis—-Giordano

Murray
Binnington

CANADA EAST

Marchand—-Crosby—-Bergeron
Huberdeau—-Mackinnon—-Marchessault
Drouin—-Couturier—-Perron
Gourde—-PLD—-Mantha

Vlasic—-Letang
P. Myers—-Matheson
Savard—-Chabot

Fleury
Crawford

CANADA WEST

Benn —-Point—-Stone
Hall—-Barzal—-Eberele
Schenn—-Toews—-Gallagher
E. Kane—-Domi—-Debrusk

Rielly—-Weber
Dumba—-Spurgeon
Morrissey—-Barrie

Price
Holtby

CZECHOSLOVAKIA

Pasternak—-Hertl—-Voracek
Tatar—-Krejci—-Frolik
Vrana—-Zacha—-Simon
Palat—-Faska—-Nicas

Gudas—-Chara
Sekera—-Polak
Kempny—-Cernak

Halak
Rittich

FINLAND

Laine—-Barkov—-Rantanen
Kakko—-Aho—-Kappanen
Armia—-Kotkaniemi—-Teravainen
Granlund—- Haula—-Lehkonen

Heiskanen—-Ristolainen
Valimaki—-Vatanen
Lindell—-Maata

Rask
Rinne

GERMANIC

Meier—-Draisaitl—-Fiala
Niederreiter—-Hisher—-Grabner
Raffl—-Baertschi—-Vanik
Bokk—-Kondelik—-Kuhnhackl

Weber—-Josi
Mueller—-Holzer
Seider—-Siegenthaler

Grubauer
Greiss

RUSSIA

OV—-Malkin—-Kucherov
Panarin—-Kuznetsov—-Tarasenko
Svechnikov—-Anisimov—-Radulov
Gusev—-Dadonov—-Kovalchuk

Sergachev—-Provorov
Zadorov—-Orlov
Kulikov—-Zaitsev

Bob
Vasilevsky

SWEDEN

Nylander—-Backstrom—-Ardvisson
Landeskog—-Zibenejad—-Karlsson
Forsberg—-Petterson—-Johansson
Rakell-—Backlund—-Lindholm

Karlsson—-Hedman
Lindholm—-OEL
Klingberg—-Dahlin

Lundqvist
Lehner

Last edited:

Jahara

Sep 25, 2018
Still missing Team Europe. Much better than Germany actually.

Just wonder why people keep making rosters containing only 20 players like this? I know that you are able to dress that many players but World Cup rosters do contain 23 players and to the Olympics it is 25. This is a thing NHL should change and make it possible to bring 22 skaters for every game.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
My Finland

1st team

Patrik Laine - Aleksander Barkov - Mikael Granlund
Teuvo Teräväinen - Sebastian Aho - Mikko Rantanen
Roope Hintz - Mikko Koivu - Kasperi Kapanen
Erik Haula - Valtteri Filppula - Joel Armia
Henrik Borgström
Kaapo Kakko

Miro Heiskanen - Rasmus Ristolainen
Esa Lindell - Sami Vatanen
Markus Nutivaara - Henri Jokiharju
Olli Määttä - Juuso Riikola

Pekka Rinne
Tuukka Rask
Antti Raanta

2nd team

Artturi Lehkonen - Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Joonas Donskoi
Harri Pesonen - Sakari Manninen - Teemu Pulkkinen
Markus Granlund - Antti Suomela - Jesse Puljujärvi
Joona Luoto - Jori Lehterä - Marko Anttila
Eetu Luostarinen
Miikka Salomäki

Mikko Lehtonen - Juuso Välimäki
Sami Niku - Oliwer Kaski
Ville Heinola - Urho Vaakanainen
Niko Mikkola - Jani Hakanpää

Juuse Saros
Mikko Koskinen
Joonas Korpisalo

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Still missing Team Europe. Much better than Germany actually.

Just wonder why people keep making rosters containing only 20 players like this? I know that you are able to dress that many players but World Cup rosters do contain 23 players and to the Olympics it is 25. This is a thing NHL should change and make it possible to bring 22 skaters for every game.

Obviously Team Leftover Europe would be stronger but I was attempting to group the players geographically. I even created a northern Europe team comprised of players from the remaining Scandinavian countries, Baltic countries, Belarus and Benelux (even taking liberties and including Sean Day haha) but it wasn't a pretty sight. I'll post it when I get home for laughs.

As far as the roster size? It's just a fun list man!

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I know that most would like to move away from the gimmicky format that we saw and will most likely see again, myself being one of them. That being said, I had a broken foot over the summer and out of sheer boredom decided to create my own. I posted it on the main boards thinking that it would be a fun summer thread but it didn't get any traction, so I'll attempt it here, where it probably should have been in the first place. So if this looks familiar to you it's because it is a shameless re-post.

I don't wanna discuss your teams' selection, and your approach to it is pretty questionable. I just want to say, it should be a very short tournament, because it's going to be held in the middle of NHL season. I doubt there will be more, than 8 teams.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I don't wanna discuss your teams' selection, and your approach to it is pretty questionable. I just want to say, it should be a very short tournament, because it's going to be held in the middle of NHL season. I doubt there will be more, than 8 teams.
How so?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I would not like to see such a tournament, however this is a fantasy roster for Canada East:

Huberdeau Crosby MacKinnon
Marchand Bergeron Mantha
Danault Couturier Perron
Marchessault Dubois Joseph
Drouin, Killorn

Vlasic Chabot
Matheson Letang
Girard Savard
Myers, Scandella

Fleury
Allen
Domingue

Couldn't find space for any players from PEI or Newfoundland. Maybe Dobson and Newhook soon. Very shallow goaltending these days. I'm actually surprised that this team does have just enough to compete with the others.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I think, there is a risk of a big political ****storm around such a selection, especially in Canada. I doubt, NHL will ever do it.
I'm still not quite understanding who would cause the shit storm in Canada when they've used similar formats for international junior tournaments in the past.

If there should be any political shit storm you would think that it would be from team Czechoslovakia, considering they fought to separate from each other. Or the unification of Germanic peoples. That didn't go over very well the last time that it was attempted. :laugh:

Regardless, Team Europe and NA Young Guns were formed to spotlight as much talent as possible. This was was I was attempting as well.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I would not like to see such a tournament, however this is a fantasy roster for Canada East:

Huberdeau Crosby MacKinnon
Marchand Bergeron Mantha
Danault Couturier Perron
Marchessault Dubois Joseph
Drouin, Killorn

Vlasic Chabot
Matheson Letang
Girard Savard
Myers, Scandella

Fleury
Allen
Domingue

Couldn't find space for any players from PEI or Newfoundland. Maybe Dobson and Newhook soon. Very shallow goaltending these days. I'm actually surprised that this team does have just enough to compete with the others.
I tried forming teams from each province and one from the m
Maritime provinces plus Newfoundland but they ended up pretty weak.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I'm still not quite understanding who would cause the **** storm in Canada when they've used similar formats for international junior tournaments in the past.

If there should be any political **** storm you would think that it would be from team Czechoslovakia, considering they fought to separate from each other. Or the unification of Germanic peoples. That didn't go over very well the last time that it was attempted. :laugh:

Regardless, Team Europe and NA Young Guns were formed to spotlight as much talent as possible. This was was I was attempting as well.

Thete is a distinct regional division in Canadian youth hockey, you can't say the same about professional one.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Thete is a distinct regional division in Canadian youth hockey, you can't say the same about professional one.
Ok, fine. You still haven't explained why there would be an issue at the professional level. If I don't care if Mete plays for Montreal as someone from York region, why would I care if Rielly represents Canada West as a Leaf fan. I'm probably way off here, but I'm totally unsure of what I'm arguing against because your posts have been so vague.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I get it. Everyone hates the gimmicky bullshit. I do too. I clearly stated as much in the OP. I was hoping for roster discussions more than anything out of this.

It's obviously an NHL tournament so the North American depth will be greatest. I was looking for discussion on whether the split NA countries or the combined European countries could compete with Russia, Finland and Sweden.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad