DJIncognito

Jun 9, 2007
2014-SeasonSchedule-newV4_0.jpg

2014-TFC-SeasonSchedule.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

LeafsTFC

Mar 3, 2011
The Annex
This team is just like the Leafs in their own way. Great offense, terrible defense.

Difference being this team is losing away to one of the best teams in the league but creating a lot of chances.

Versus losing at home to a terrible team and getting outplayed :laugh:

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
you think theyre taking defoe (slight pain) out cuz its over anyway?
nm...

he's coming back to the bench , thats good

Last edited:

bursilym

Jan 9, 2014
We are getting outpossessed every game. We have like <40% possession in each game we played.

LolungoReboundo

LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs
Jan 28, 2011
Brampton
The lack of depth shows but you could tell how good Real Salt Lake was today they were making amazing runs taking advantage of the spaces the defenders and the midfielders were giving them.

And to the poster who said they lack defense this is the first game they had a bit of defensive issues other 2 games they've been solid and sound defensively

thehockeysong

Nov 1, 2009
TFC's depth was always going to be an issue. Building a football club is a process and I think they've done an excellent job so far. First bringing in big names like they have will make them competitive, but it will also make them a destination for non-designated players. If they can add depth over the next couple of years and keep osorio and henry, they'll be a dynasty. Can't complain as a TFC fans these days :)

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
Just like leafs this team also plays a run and gun system with no passion in possession game. DeFoe and Bradely were good, but the rest of the team couldn't put it together. Ceaser was bad if you ask me.

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
People need to stop with these hockey/soccer possession comparisons ASAP

Possession time actually counts in soccer. Pick any league and check out whether they consider the possession game or not. All I see yesterday was clear the ball when they come in our zone and give it back to them.

LolungoReboundo

LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs
Jan 28, 2011
Brampton
Possession time actually counts in soccer. Pick any league and check out whether they consider the possession game or not. All I see yesterday was clear the ball when they come in our zone and give it back to them.

The person you're replying to has it right possession time isn't AS important in soccer because if you're never caught in possession its hard to get scored on. This team does need to hold the ball a bit better but the one time we tried to move up in possession it got us scored on in Seattle lol. If a team isn't built to pass the ball around well you need to utilize their strengths and use high ball pressure and counter attack properly.

I'll agree the defenders and that Hall dude did not do well last game they looked like they had no interest in making a proper pass but I'm not so sure that holding the ball for long periods of time and then turning it over to get scored on is the greatest strategy either.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto

I agree with the second part of that, but as the guy above noted we're not the type of team that's going to keep the ball on the ground and pass it into the back of the net. I'd expect we're going to get out possessed in the vast, vast majority of road games and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

What we needed last night was
1) More support for the defenders via flank play - the right side of Bloom/Orr was a total joke, and Rey was pretty terrible yesterday too. Nakajima-Farran was decent hopefully when he gets match fit he'll get a better look, and they definitely missed Jackson

2) They got absolutely dummied in the middle of the park. Osorio was clearly missed...even when we got possession, there were a lot of quick turnovers and counters that resulted in the last two goals as well as a couple of cards against Henry/Caldwell.

3) Defoe isn't the striker who holds up possession, so Gilberto needs to do it. He...didn't do it at all

This team isn't built for possession, especially if the focal point of the offense is Defoe whose greatest strength is to run onto the ball and take on the far inferior MLS defenders one-on-one. As such, the optimal strategy is to put men behind the ball, try to force turnovers and then link up with Bradley/Osorio --> (Gilberto) --> Defoe on the counter. Once we start keeping a ton of possession and slowly working the ball up the pitch we pretty much lose the best aspect of our offense.

And honestly, I didn't even think they were that bad defensively at least compared to prior years. The first goal was a penalty where the striker's back was turned to goal, the second one took two extremely fortunate deflections to get in, and the third was the only real defensive lapse. It was more concerning that there were multiple other times where the ball was just bouncing around the box and it looked like no one knew where to go.

LolungoReboundo

LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs
Jan 28, 2011
Brampton
I agree with the second part of that, but as the guy above noted we're not the type of team that's going to keep the ball on the ground and pass it into the back of the net. I'd expect we're going to get out possessed in the vast, vast majority of road games and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

What we needed last night was
1) More support for the defenders via flank play - the right side of Bloom/Orr was a total joke, and Rey was pretty terrible yesterday too. Nakajima-Farran was decent hopefully when he gets match fit he'll get a better look, and they definitely missed Jackson

2) They got absolutely dummied in the middle of the park. Osorio was clearly missed...even when we got possession, there were a lot of quick turnovers and counters that resulted in the last two goals as well as a couple of cards against Henry/Caldwell.

3) Defoe isn't the striker who holds up possession, so Gilberto needs to do it. He...didn't do it at all

This team isn't built for possession, especially if the focal point of the offense is Defoe whose greatest strength is to run onto the ball and take on the far inferior MLS defenders one-on-one. As such, the optimal strategy is to put men behind the ball, try to force turnovers and then link up with Bradley/Osorio --> (Gilberto) --> Defoe on the counter. Once we start keeping a ton of possession and slowly working the ball up the pitch we pretty much lose the best aspect of our offense.

And honestly, I didn't even think they were that bad defensively at least compared to prior years. The first goal was a penalty where the striker's back was turned to goal, the second one took two extremely fortunate deflections to get in, and the third was the only real defensive lapse. It was more concerning that there were multiple other times where the ball was just bouncing around the box and it looked like no one knew where to go.

QFT

Osorio and Bradley together have looked excellent this year the mor they play together the better its going to get. I'd say this team needs a better RB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad