World Cup - Bobrovsky

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I was hoping someone would post a video of Bob's post to post robbery vs Czech Republic.

Sounds like you watched this one. I realize these are still exhibition games, but with their forwards how did Russia get so outshot by the Czechs?

Edit- Sorry. I saw Lee's video showing Bob's save vs the Czecks and crossed it with the OT loss (to Canada). Too much time on the beach and ocean gazing detracting from time from my tracking the World Cup action.

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
That could have been 6-2 for Canada without Bob. Really Bob stealing games is their only shot with that weak D in front of him.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
I watched most of the game last night. Bob was spectacular. Russia was outplayed significantly for most of the game, and Bob really kept them in it. Gives me some hope for this season.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I watched most of the game last night. Bob was spectacular. Russia was outplayed significantly for most of the game, and Bob really kept them in it. Gives me some hope for this season.

The Russian D move the puck well but they aren't strong enough to not get dominated when there are heavies like Getzlaf, Thornton, Tavares, and Crosby coming shift after shift. It was interesting to see the contrast in styles - the Russian attack moved the puck well through the seems, while the Canadian forwards just moved at will to whatever positions they wanted to. Bob had near-constant screens to deal with.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
This is the only thing I don't like about the World Cup, these guys burning themselves up for their country for a meaningless medal. Maybe this gets Bob ready to get off to a good start or maybe it burns him out. I'm going to guess there will be a lot of teams complaining about the World Cup before the season is over, because of injuries and/or earlier fatigue.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Solid performance vs Canada for Bob, he was the best Russian player on the ice, and he was better than Price.

A-

He gets an A if carries them to a W.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Bob has been great. Hope he can play this well for CBJ this season.

He has been outstanding, better than the numbers will show. The Russian D don't even bother to clear the net-front. The Jackets will give him better D. (not kidding).

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
He has been outstanding, better than the numbers will show. The Russian D don't even bother to clear the net-front. The Jackets will give him better D. (not kidding).
Living in Canada I'm watching the games on Sportsnet and they had him the 2nd star yesterday and 1st star today. Even the 3rd goal he allowed, he made a great save prior to the goal. Vintage Bob, hopefully he keeps up this play and has confidence going into the season.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Agree. Bob was great, especially in the first and third periods. And kudos to the youn guys for NA.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Bob was amazing. 42 saves, but that doesn't even begin to tell the story. The quality of those stops was really high. The NA team is stretching together amazing plays and it could have been 8 goals against with a goalie who isn't on fire like Bob.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Bob's stop on the breakaway was the single most important play of the game.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Yep, great game by Bob.

I think this is good news. The groin is a concern, but Bob is a goalie who gets better when he's playing lots. I think this bodes well that he may finally start a season on full cylinders.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Remember in the final minute of the last game in the 2013 season, against Nashville, when Bob stopped 3 or 4 in-close shots in 10 seconds, purely on reflexes? That's what the final minute of this game reminded me of.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
I watched a bit of the pre-game and most of the Russia vs. NA game. The announcers were going on in the beginning about team NA to the point they didn't even mention who was starting in goal for Russia. It wasn't until Bob made a more than routine save did they call his name. Then he goes on to be 1st Star. Nice performance Bob!!

As someone mentioned earlier, "past performance is no indicator of future results". But it certainly gives CBJ fans a reason for optimism.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
I thought he was out of sorts early on...he had no clue where the puck was coming from at times, but that's more of a positive to NA than a negative to him...once he settled down and got into the game he played well...

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I thought he was out of sorts early on...he had no clue where the puck was coming from at times, but that's more of a positive to NA than a negative to him...once he settled down and got into the game he played well...

That sounds typical for Bob. I'd love to see average GA by period for him.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
Bob kept them in the game until Russia finally woke up. I thought he looked good, NA really turned it on in the 3rd. I think this is good for him as he'll be ready to go for the start of the season. Lets just hope he's able to counter the damage Torts will eventually do to this team

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
Remember in the final minute of the last game in the 2013 season, against Nashville, when Bob stopped 3 or 4 in-close shots in 10 seconds, purely on reflexes? That's what the final minute of this game reminded me of.

I think it was in the first 10 minutes of the game actually.. But, I actually remembered it as the final minutes of the game in the past as well, so your forgiven lol. About 7 or 8 desperate saves in just 8 seconds.

I love going back to rewatch that play. One of the most electric atmospheres in Nationwide that I remember being in. Gives me goosebumps thinking about the end of that season (the numerous OT wins, streaking play, Nashville season finale, Vezina Bob)

jacketsgeek

Gimme some bread , man!
Sep 30, 2007
Pickerington, OH
I think it was in the first 10 minutes of the game actually.. But, I actually remembered it as the final minutes of the game in the past as well, so your forgiven lol. About 7 or 8 desperate saves in just 8 seconds.

I love going back to rewatch that play. One of the most electric atmospheres in Nationwide that I remember being in. Gives me goosebumps thinking about the end of that season (the numerous OT wins, streaking play, Nashville season finale, Vezina Bob)

I had to watch it again...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe0SCSkYuqg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad