World Cup - Bobrovsky

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
As I keep going over this team, so much of the coming year will depend upon Bobrovsky. Is he healthy? Can he stay healthy? Can the new "Groin Whisperer" make a difference? Can Bob stop the puck?

Then I realized that Bobrovsky is going to get some serious high-level competition backstopping the team from Mother Russia in the World Cup. So then I wondered if this would be a good thing or a bad thing? If Bob does great, that would do nothing but build hope. If Bob gets shelled, he could start CBJ camp with a strike against him. Neither scenario would be be a guarantee of what the CBJ would get, but human nature would expect any trend to continue. About the only thing that would bring certainty would be another groin injury <shutter>.

What say you? What do you expect from Bob in the World Cup and will that influence your expectations of him as he returns to CBJ camp?

Last edited:

Inquiring Minds

Jul 12, 2007
Grandview, Ohio
"Past performance is no guarantee of future results."

If I remember correctly, two of the worst starts in CBJ history were preceded by near perfect pre-season records.

Improved D will help tremendously.

Still, aside from groin injuries, our season lies largely between Bob's ears.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
i was hoping he'd pass it up to focus on ensuring he's healthy for game 1...but I get it, you don't get many chances to represent your country...

if he gets shelled, it will help the "we should have traded him" crowd
if he stands on his head, it will help the "that's why we kept him" crowd...

lots of scenarios to play out here...if he gets hurt in the World Cup, we can write off the season

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
He appears to usually get off to a slow start - so may as well have him get that start with Russia.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Yeah I'm gonna try not to draw too many conclusions about how his play at the tourney will affect his play in the NHL regular season. The injury thing does make me nervous, though.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
It usually takes Bob a good amount of games to get into a solid rhythm between the pipes. We've seen it a few times during his time in Columbus (most notably in '12-'13 before Mason was dealt and '14-15 during the 15-1-1 stretch.) Here's to hoping that he gets a nice warmup in during the WCH and preseason.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
If he can complete the WC in good health, it will only be a good thing for his CBJ season imo.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Bob usually starts terribly, so if he can get that out of the way early I wouldn't mind.

It's Torts double commitment I'd worry about.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
If a good performance boosters his confidence .. great!

If he has a bad performance.. well.. lets just hope we don't have to think about how he responds.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I don't have any particular feeling on the World Cup, but I am very concerned about Bob in general.

The past two seasons he ranked 19 out of 45 (2014-15) and 38 out of 48 (2015-16) in save percentage of goalies who played in a minimum of 25 games. Korpisalo outplayed Bob in terms of GAA and save percentage last season, so there is a viable alternative to a slow-starting or injured Bob. However...............Bob is in year two of a four year $7.425m per season deal and he'll get every opportunity to prove he's worth that kind of money-even if it is a detriment to the team. The CBJ aren't fundamentally different from most other teams in this regard. There is a very good chance that Bob's best days are behind him. It's my hope that he plays near to his Vezina form, but if it's clear that that's not in the cards, then it's vital to recognize that and play (or not play) him accordingly.

It's a very interesting situation with him this season. In my view, it's a make or break season for Bob to re-establish himself as a premier goalie. If he doesn't, then he's just another really bad contract on a team already loaded with them. He'll be very hard to move, not even taking into account his NMC clause, if he spits the bit again this year.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Varlamov is also good competition.

Bob has consistently outperformed him on the National team. Don't really expect that to have much of a positive or negative effect on him.

If it allows Bob to shake off rust and adjust I suppose it'll be good for him. He needs to start the season on point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->