World Cup: Aug 30 GDT - Czech Republic vs. Finland (0-4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petey21

Dec 19, 2003
Sweden
www.geocities.com
kissmeimasensfan said:
What the heck's a fartsbot?

I'm so immature. :p:

Fartsbot is Norwegian (it's a Norwegian article) for a speeding ticket, the guy got a speeding ticket ($50.000) for cruising with his bike at 200 km/h (125 mp/h), and it seems as he's one of the richest guys in Finland, that's probably why the speeding ticket was that big.

Cat Called Bobcat

Dec 3, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Badman said:
It's norwegian and it means "speeding ticket". But I can see that it is funny to english speakers. What the article says is that this Jussi Salonoja-character received a world record speeding ticket of 1.5 million norwegian kroner (approx. 215 000 US $). The fines in Finland are based on what you earn... :amazed:

:amazed: is right!

Thanks for letting me know, and thanks for the other interesting info. :)

Cat Called Bobcat

Dec 3, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Petey21 said:
Fartsbot is Norwegian (it's a Norwegian article) for a speeding ticket, the guy got a speeding ticket ($50.000) for cruising with his bike at 200 km/h (125 mp/h), and it seems as he's one of the richest guys in Finland, that's probably why the speeding ticket was that big.

Thank you, too :)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I wish there was replay at night because I was working today, but good for Finland winning at home, and Kiprusoff getting a shutout!

jstreet

LETS GO PREDS
Jan 15, 2004
FL via Nashville
www.twitter.com
bert said:
Reichel as the captain. No letter on Jagr's jersey.

Jagr will have to step it up and show a bit of passion or some sort of leadership.

Czech offense = :banghead:

Hentunen opened the scoring and had a solid game. Werent people on here saying that he didnt deserve a roster spot?

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Nobody dissed Hentunen when he got a roster spot, he's been magical for Finland in every tournament he's been in. His nickname, Joroisten Härkä, suits him perfectly.

Czechs were absolutely awful. Worst Czech performance on ice since the 92 World Cup. Czechz were worse in every area of game, need to work on getting motivated, and actually turning up on the ice.

If Czech play like this, they'll lose every game again, because even Germany will beat a Czech team playing like that.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
This was a carbon copy of 96. I wonder why a team with this much talent would have Reichel, Vasicek and Dopita amongst their top 4 centers. What a great way to slow down what should be a blistering attack. Compliments to Finland for a well executed gameplan. If i am Germany i abandon my 1-4 check and up the tempo against the Czechs, they clearly were not up to it in the D zone. What a putrid start to the tourney and i am optimistic it will improve. Hoping for a decent Swe/German game.

broman

Mar 9, 2003
HEL's antechamber
Badman said:
The fines in Finland are based on what you earn... :amazed:

The word is "means-tested" and it's not that odd actually, fines are adjusted in a similar fashion in several European countries. What's unique about the Finnish system though is that it extends to relatively minor misdemeanors, such as speeding more than 15 kph over the limit. Also, there is no upper limit on fines. As a result, if you have high income, you'll end up paying in six figures or so.

It happened to Selanne several years ago when he got a bit carried away behind the wheel. Also, a Nokia exec gained worldwide fame just recently when the police clocked his Hog cruising off the lights in Helsinki city centre at a downright irresponsible 65 kph or so on a 40 kph blanket zone. He had just pocketed a gazillion worth of Nokia stock options. :D He took the ticket to the courts though and managed to trim it down a bit.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
I liked the fact how Selänne said his income was around 900K per year at the time (was making 9.5M or so back then) and the court couldn't prove him wrong because U.S tax officials don't give that information unless there's a serious crime involved.

Finnish speeding-fine system makes Taliban justice look lenient.

Pepper said:
Finnish speeding-fine system makes Taliban justice look lenient.
What`s the point giving a millionaire like Jussi Salonoja 200 euro fine for speeding? He`ll just pick his pocket, and throw 400 euros it to policeman`s face and continue speeding.

This is case equality under the law. Some argue that this is unequal that criminals have to pay different sums of money for the same crime. Finnish legislator thinks that the real case is not about the actual sums but the punitative effect.

If you don`t like the system, drive according the law.

broman

Mar 9, 2003
HEL's antechamber
This has been debated ad nauseaum but I will take the bait anyway: Great, but why stop there? Why shouldn't we seek equality in more serious forms of punishment as well, such as imprisonment? Shouldn't a single, unemployed drifter be given two, three times the jail time that you would give a family man with a day job and several dependants? After all, the latter has so much more to lose, and we are only interested in the punitive effect on the individual, right?

In fact this is exactly what the notorious higher courts in Savo did just a year or two ago. A convicted rapist and assailant or whatever was given significant reductions in his sentence because of exactly that. His employer even came up with a sworn statement, stating how going to jail might well have an adverse effect on his job prospects (no duh!) It caused a huge outcry all over the nation. How come? What's the difference?

If unlimited means-tested fines for minor speeding offences are the only way to keep our roads safe, I can't for all my life figure how pedestrians all over the world dare to cross a street. Think of the Norwegians with all that oil money to burn. Must be an open season for millionaires in their BMWs hunting mothers and old women on the open roads.

Can't you think of any other form of motivation for a guy like Salonoja to live and drive by the rules?

broman said:
Can't you think of any other form of motivation for a guy like Salonoja to live and drive by the rules?
So for the normal people the movation is fear of punishment and for Salonoja we have think something else? Should we give him tax cuts if he agrees to obey the rules?
Why would millionaire follow the rules if breaking such a rule is punished with salary that he makes in five seconds? I`m more willing to question the petty fine system where 100 euro fixed fine really weakens some poor man economical situation and put him on a tight spot. For Salonoja 100 euros is something he uses for toothpicks per day. Fines are suppose to be penalties rather than compensations.

Are you comparing the amount that Salonoja was fined for your own income? I don`t believe that Salonoja had to move to smaller apartment due to that...

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
The point is that driving 65kmh on a 40kmh zone is not a crime big enough to warrant ridiculous fines like that. Some people are better off than others, they have to pay equally ridiculous taxes already so giving them speeding tickets like that is nothing but typical finnish jealousness.

The fines can be bigger for rich people but there has to be some sort of cap.

Pepper said:
..taxes already so giving them speeding tickets like that is nothing but typical finnish jealousness.

The fines can be bigger for rich people but there has to be some sort of cap.
I disagree and I agree.

I disagree with the idea that "jealousness" is behind this law. The fact that someone is paying high taxes doesn`t mean that he/she has different rules. The concept of "Finnish jealousness" is very far-fetched. If our legislation is formed by such characteristic how come we don`t have punitative damages as they have in States?

I agree with that there has to some limit to how high these fines can go. But other than that this is very fair law and I`m proud that have such a legislation here in Finland. And yes I myself have been fined substantial amounts sometimes.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
joolzie said:
Who do you suggest instead?
I would certainly try to enhance one of my lines by adding Havlat or Sykora to the middle. Not both but one to give some balance to the top two lines. Pick two of Reichel/Dopita/Vasicek for the third and fourth lines. Its not as though the bigger centers were an asset in the D zone- they lost most of the battles to a far hungrier Finn team. Kaberle and Hamrlik just have to be in the lineup if for nothing else to have some distribution out of the zone. Skoula/ Malik/Spacek totally wilted under the pressure. I'm not saying kaberle is incredible but he has more puck poise. What a wakeup call for the Czechs. Will they respond?

broman

Mar 9, 2003
HEL's antechamber
This is getting very very very far off the topic but I will risk mod wrath this one more time. Aristotle defined envy as "a certain kind of distress at apparent success on the part of one's peers in attaining the good things that have been mentioned, not that a person may get anything for himself but because of those who have it." I am having a strong hunch the great man was a Finn after all. If not that, then he must at least have been the first Social Democrat in known history. :)

Anyways, Finnish press reports that Selanne found out during the 2nd interval that both his blades were indeed cut in two with as much as a 5 mm gap separating the halves. One blade was cut clean across, the other had an S-shaped fracture at the same point. He entered 3rd period with a loan pair of skates but came off the ice after just 20 secs cursing them. Luckily the team kitman found a pair of used blades and fitted them on Selanne's skates there and then, allowing him to return to play. Does anyone have a recollection of something like this happening before?

Edit: Reminds me of those kiddie trainer skates with as many as four mini-blades in rows of two. :D

teme

Feb 28, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
broman said:
Anyways, Finnish press reports that Selanne found out during the 2nd interval that both his blades were indeed cut in two with as much as a 5 mm gap separating the halves. One blade was cut clean across, the other had an S-shaped fracture at the same point. He entered 3rd period with a loan pair of skates but came off the ice after just 20 secs cursing them. Luckily the team kitman found a pair of used blades and fitted them on Selanne's skates there and then, allowing him to return to play. Does anyone have a recollection of something like this happening before?
Jokerit coach Hannu Jortikka who was doing commentary mentioned that it has been happening a lot with Jokerit and also that the trainers are getting calls about similar incidents all over the country. Must be some bad batch of skates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->