World Cup 2020

Theroalder

Jul 21, 2016
I just realized that supposedly the next world cup is scheduled for september 2020 and the CBA expires September 15 2020.

The NHL really hates this tournament.

:laugh: That's actually one of the saddest things ever.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Same thing happened in 2004. Final was on September 14, the CBA expired the 15th.

As a result I always found it funny that the sign Team Canada posted on their dressing room door after the final ("Practice is cancelled tomorrow. No one else left to beat") kind of had two meanings: that they won the tournament, and the next day couldn't play anymore because they were locked out.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I thought there was just an opt out clause in 2020, I didn't think the CBA expired until later than that.

10 year agreement signed in Jan.2013 with an opt-out after 8 years.

so, if the opt out is exercised by either party, then the current CBA will expire on Sept.15 2020.

I would imagine after the less than stellar World Cup that recently concluded, a scheduled World Cup in 2020 with the opt out clause already exercised would be a complete disaster.

How was WCH by the way? I didn't catch any of it. Looks like I didn't miss much.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
10 year agreement signed in Jan.2013 with an opt-out after 8 years.

so, if the opt out is exercised by either party, then the current CBA will expire on Sept.15 2020.

I would imagine after the less than stellar World Cup that recently concluded, a scheduled World Cup in 2020 with the opt out clause already exercised would be a complete disaster.

How was WCH by the way? I didn't catch any of it. Looks like I didn't miss much.

North America games were quite fun, they played like a bunch of kids on a pond. The rest of the tournament was boring trap hockey. Leftovers excelled at it, went to the final, almost took Canada to a game 3. USA tried to play bully hockey against Canada, lost to the Czechs and Leftovers. :laugh:

Nobody really cared about the result. Canadians expected to win, Americans didn't watch, Europeans just sort of shrugged. Attendance was terrible, even though all the tickets sold. I think final profits are in the $100 million range.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
North America games were quite fun, they played like a bunch of kids on a pond. The rest of the tournament was boring trap hockey. Leftovers excelled at it, went to the final, almost took Canada to a game 3. USA tried to play bully hockey against Canada, lost to the Czechs and Leftovers. :laugh:

Nobody really cared about the result. Canadians expected to win, Americans didn't watch, Europeans just sort of shrugged. Attendance was terrible, even though all the tickets sold. I think final profits are in the $100 million range.

well, that sucks...but in the end perhaps USAH now understands not to bring a sledge hammer to a chess game. Forever be gone, Brian Burke.

Hopefully it means USAH is pissed and U.S. players are sufficiently pissed that players decide to give the WHC a run in May. but I won't be holding my breath waiting for that to happen.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
I just realized that supposedly the next world cup is scheduled for september 2020 and the CBA expires September 15 2020.

Now that s a fantastic find.

Maybe the 2nd WC is in the old CBA already, and they put it on the lockout time on purpose? Makes it very hard to get an overseas contract if you get snagged mid season.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
well, that sucks...but in the end perhaps USAH now understands not to bring a sledge hammer to a chess game. Forever be gone, Brian Burke.

Hopefully it means USAH is pissed and U.S. players are sufficiently pissed that players decide to give the WHC a run in May. but I won't be holding my breath waiting for that to happen.

Problem is they picked players who often say no to the world's and didn't pick players who often say yes.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010

The World Cup 2016 was an expedient to help deflect attention from abandoning the Olympics in 2018/2022. By 2020 it will be a non-issue, and the World Cup will again quietly die. For those who love the game, please see that it stays moribund.

Bernie Marners

Feb 13, 2020
Hello, guys.

As I am deeply weird, I plan to simulate the fictitious World Cup 2020 with NHL20, using my custom created jerseys (except for Canada, as they are fully licensed) and 20 minute period sliders (I have tested them before, and found them pretty good), and ofc, NHL-sized rinks.

So my question is, if I would upload these matches to YouTube, would anyone be interested in following this experiment? We could have a full, faked WCoH2020 experience that the powers that be never gave us!

Ps. Naturally no Team Europe or North America.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Hello, guys.

As I am deeply weird, I plan to simulate the fictitious World Cup 2020 with NHL20, using my custom created jerseys (except for Canada, as they are fully licensed) and 20 minute period sliders (I have tested them before, and found them pretty good), and ofc, NHL-sized rinks.

So my question is, if I would upload these matches to YouTube, would anyone be interested in following this experiment? We could have a full, faked WCoH2020 experience that the powers that be never gave us!

Ps. Naturally no Team Europe or North America.

It sounds more worthwhile than the 2016 world cup at least.

member 305909

If they had kept the thing going at four year intervals since 1996 when the competition started (unless you count Canada cup the same competition) the competition would have by now gathered some tradition and canceling it for no good reason like a global pandemic would be out of the question.

Zero Pucks Given

American Hero
Mar 21, 2015
Southern CA
If they had kept the thing going at four year intervals since 1996 when the competition started (unless you count Canada cup the same competition) the competition would have by now gathered some tradition and canceling it for no good reason like a global pandemic would be out of the question.

WCH tournaments in 2000, 2008, and 2012 could've produced some decent best-on-best hockey in their own right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->