World Championships Prediction

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
Ok, its about time, all the rosters have been pretty much set,
the tournament starts on friday,
what are this years predictions for gold?

I would say Fin, Can, Rus have the best chances for gold,

Swe, Czechs, Slovaks for bronze,

Let me hear your thoughts! :handclap:

e-e

Mar 15, 2003
Bratislava
Ok, its about time, all the rosters have been pretty much set,
the tournament starts on friday,
what are this years predictions for gold?

I would say Fin, Can, Rus have the best chances for gold,

Swe, Czechs, Slovaks for bronze,

Let me hear your thoughts! :handclap:

so u thing that fin, can or russia takes gold and silver ans swe czech or slovak bronze?

what happnes to one of the fin, can or rus? final or nothing?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
IMO, it's a fairly medicore field this year. On paper, it looks like the Slovaks and Russians have the most talent, but can that translate to a medal? Canada will also be in the mix. The U.S. (as usual) doesn't have much of a star-laden lineup, but there's some talented youth, and a solid veteran goaltender in Grahame.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
so u thing that fin, can or russia takes gold and silver ans swe czech or slovak bronze?

what happnes to one of the fin, can or rus? final or nothing?

hey maybe can vs fin final or can vs rus final!

but I would like to see a swe vs fin final!

Crazyhorse

Sep 2, 2006
Gothenburg
The slovaks and russians have the most firepower and best players, but that doesn't mean they have the best _team_.

My favourites for gold are:

1. Russia
2. Slovakia
3. Canada

Bronze:

1.Swe
2.Fin
3.Czech

Last edited:

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
From what it looks like right now, I'd say the winner will be one of Finland, Canada and Russia. Slovakia has great offensive talent for two lines and one defensive pairing, but after that the whole thing falls a bit flat. It's a team game after all. At least they should have better goaltending than in a while.

I'd rank Sweden over Slovakia too, because they have a solid roster and it probably turns into a team more than slovaks. Czechs will also be good, and I would still rank them ahead of Slovakia.

Final: Russia-Finland (Russia will win)
bronze game: Canada-Sweden (Sweden wins)

hdw

Jul 9, 2006
Stockholm
I think the story will be basicly as usual.
Canada, Russia and Finland will bring the most talent and firepower.
Sweden, Slovakia and USA will go more with youth and hunger, seasoned with a sprinkle of old farts.

Czechia will keep the middle ground.

Canada will initially be slightly confused, then brilliant, but fall apart when stuff doesn't work, take moronic penalties and end up in the bronze game, which they don't care about and lose.

Russia won't get anywhere, tons of talent but waste all of it by nagging at eachother.

Finland will slowly and methodical wear down all opposition and enter the final without any losses.

Sweden will flounder, stumble, beg, borrow and steal but somehow end up on the other side of that final.

And everyone knows what happens when Finland is one game from success and Sweden is on the other side of the ice :)

1. Swe
2. Fin
3. Cze (or Slo)
4. Can

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Finland will slowly and methodical wear down all opposition and enter the final without any losses.

Sweden will flounder, stumble, beg, borrow and steal but somehow end up on the other side of that final.

You have been watching too much hockey world championships :D

Yeah I guess I can easily recognize that pattern.

CraigC

Feb 22, 2006
Burlington
I have ranked the teams the following way:

1.Canada
2.Russia--#1 if goalie is up to the task.
3. Slovakia
4. Finland
5. Czech
6. USA
7. Sweden

hdw

Jul 9, 2006
Stockholm
Another issue.

Who's number 8 this year?

Still Switzerland?

Hockey is the number one game that's sure, but just 7 nations is a bit boring.

Esp since the expansion to 7 was by one of the 6 dividing itself (in a very civilized way, kudos to both).

But when will the semifinals get really exiting?
When will Switzerland, Austria, Germany, Latvia and other get the edge?

CraigC

Feb 22, 2006
Burlington
I think your method was the "most regognizable names" one. Well thats fair but dont be too surprised when Sweden and Finland end up with medals.

I have Finland 4th so obviously wouldn't be to surprised if they medaled. I judged the teams based on talent, as I have no idea how they will all jell. Not sure what other method their is to use, my Crystal ball broke 3 weeks ago :(

ThinMcWhistle

Mar 26, 2005
Northern hemisphere
1. Finland (Not the most talented, but the most chemistry & heart will win them the gold)
2. Canada (Always a gold favourite, but are probably not as hungry for the big win as Finland)
3. Slovakia (A team much like Finland, plays with heart and has tons of talent - goaltending somewhat of a question mark)

Of course I am a homer, but I stand by my predictions! :teach: ;)

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
hopefully the U.S. will be a sleeper, very good young talent, not much established players should be their downfall. maybe Blake and Legwand will be added after the first round....fingers crossed ;)

Last edited:

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
I have Finland 4th so obviously wouldn't be to surprised if they medaled. I judged the teams based on talent, as I have no idea how they will all jell. Not sure what other method their is to use, my Crystal ball broke 3 weeks ago :(

You're going by "NHL talent" though......the international game is a whole different thing. I'd rank a guy like Peltonen right up their with Staal and Nash for this type of tourney.
However, I expect Canada to be in the mix for the gold.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Russia's offense is sick........good thing too 'cause their gonna have to score 10 goals a game to overcome the crappy defense they're gonna have in this tournament.:cry:

Dima_BLR

May 13, 2006
Good Old Europe
Gold - Finland
Silver - Sweden
Bronze - Canada
then Czech Rep, Russia, Slovakia, USA, Switzerland, Belarus, Latvia, Norway, Ukraine, [relegation group G: Austria, Germany, Denmark, Italy].

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad