World Championships 2018

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Actually Stanley Cup is not “best on best“ either.
Cap makes it impossible for NA-teams to roll super squads, like Barcelona or Real Madrid in football.
But still people are glued to watching it........same as some are glued to watch WC.

Some people that only like Champions League might say that Superliga football are far from best on best, but it still had a devoted following.

You want to see what “your“ team can do with the roster available.
“Best on best“ will often never be achieved because hockey is an injury prone sports, so many super stars will be out even at Olympics.

So it's just a matter of taste. I don't care if the best players are there or not. I love to see teams being able to surprise with inferior rosters, but fighting their butts off.
In Football WC/EC I love seeing teams you otherwise never see in big tournaments - being it Bolivia, Costa Rica, Latvia, New Zealand, always hoping they make an upset.

Paaske

Apr 10, 2013
Copenhagen
It can be a problem if you are relying on the same group of people filling both arenas. I was at a lot of games at the recent WJC in Malmö and there were a lot of fans hurrying from one arena to the other trying to catch more games on the same day. Let's face it, the Danish hockey community is not that big, so allowing the fans to attend games in both arenas on the same day would be a huge plus.

I'm sure having Sweden play in Copenhagen will draw a lot of Swedish fans. Maybe the same would happen with Germany in Herning?

I wouldn't even care if Denmark played in Herning or Copenhagen. Insisting on Denmark playing in my city is not the point of my argument.

A lot of the complaining in 2010 was from the teams and the journalists. And those complaints were the main reason the quarterfinals are now played within the same group instead of crossing over.

I was at the 2010 World Champs and I stayed in Cologne throughout, even though Denmark played in Mannheim. I guess I just like to combine my hockey with a bit of tourism and Herning doesn't have much of a draw for me as a tourist destination.

I think Denmark could do a solid job hosting with a Herning/Copenhagen combo, I just think the Copenhagen/Malmö option would be even more intriguing and unprecedented. Still, the thing that is the most disappointing is that they settled for a 10,000 capacity in the new arena. It really should have been at least on par with the one in Malmö.

New Arena can hold 12.500 , its larger than boxen which is only around 11k for hockey

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
I can't be unhappy with the capacity. We have the wc which was unthinkable a few years back. Boxen is a great arena and I think there could be great atmosphere....

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Congrats on the WC guys,even though im a bitter you stole it from us,im sure youll be great hosts and WC will help improve hockey in Denmark,cheers!

member 498sixnine

As written on the previous page, I'd rather seen a Danish WC in a non-olympic year. Personally I'm also much more interested in club hockey than national hockey.

That being said, it is of course stil exiting to see Denmark as a host and even more since I live less than 3 kms from the Herning arena.

The host organization has a lot of work in front of them, ensuing this will be an successful event. First and foremost all the basic things has to work as smootly as possible, things like hotels, transportation and so on. Here I have no doubt Denmark is able to do well.

Next big issue is filling the arenas. I'm already now beginning to fear this a bit when I read (HERE) that the ticket prices will be DKK 144 to 1,152 (€19-155). Although 144 kr is not THAT much, I still think it's too high to fill arenas for low profile games. It does seem awfully early to decide on ticket prices, hopefully these aren't set in stone.

An article like this, Dansk garanti til kritisk IIHF-chef: Vi skal nok fylde de arenaer, does bring back hope that they'll do anything possible to fill the arenas though. Specially the part about working with schools and companies seem good, the big money are not to be made on the low profile games anyway.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Congrats on the WC guys,even though im a bitter you stole it from us,im sure youll be great hosts and WC will help improve hockey in Denmark,cheers!

Thanks! :)
Hopefully it can boost some rink-building around the country if it becomes a success.
Maybe you can win it the next time...just keep asking for it. Missing 2017 & 2018, maybe 2019 or 2020 ?!

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Next big issue is filling the arenas. I'm already now beginning to fear this a bit when I read (HERE) that the ticket prices will be DKK 144 to 1,152 (€19-155). Although 144 kr is not THAT much, I still think it's too high to fill arenas for low profile games. It does seem awfully early to decide on ticket prices, hopefully these aren't set in stone.

An article like this, Dansk garanti til kritisk IIHF-chef: Vi skal nok fylde de arenaer, does bring back hope that they'll do anything possible to fill the arenas though. Specially the part about working with schools and companies seem good, the big money are not to be made on the low profile games anyway.

yeah I really hope they keep prices low. You have to entice people to get interested in a sport they would never normally see or go to, so if prices are too high, nobody will come and it will be like the Sweden WC - perhaps even worse.
Idea with school and companies sounds good (on paper - but it was to work in reality as well).

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
yeah I really hope they keep prices low. You have to entice people to get interested in a sport they would never normally see or go to, so if prices are too high, nobody will come and it will be like the Sweden WC - perhaps even worse.
Idea with school and companies sounds good (on paper - but it was to work in reality as well).

I hope they will just eat the deficit and make the best possible tournament instead of trying to maximize profit in Denmarks matches or matches with the big nations. Surely that will lead to this turning into a disaster, but lets see what DIU comes up with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad