World Championship Rosters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Here's the official Swedish WC-roster (3 goalies, 8 defensemen, 16(!) forwards).

Goalies:
Daniel Henriksson, Luleå
Stefan Liv, HV 71
Henrik Lundqvist, Frölunda

Defensemen:
Christian Bäckman, St Louis (NHL)
Per Hållberg, Färjestad
Niclas Hävelid, Anaheim (NHL)
Thomas Johansson, Linköping
Thomas Rhodin, Fribourg
Ronnie Sundin, Frölunda
Daniel Tjärnqvist, Atlanta (NHL)
Dick Tärnström, Pittsburgh (NHL)

Forwards:
Niklas Andersson, Frölunda
Per-Johan Axelsson, Boston (NHL)
Johan Davidsson, HV 71
Johan Franzén, Linköping
Jonathan Hedström, Djurgården
Jonas Höglund, Davos
Andreas Johansson, Nashville (NHL)
Jörgen Jönsson, Färjestad
Magnus Kahnberg, Frölunda
Magnus Nilsson, Luleå
Niklas Nordgren, Timrå
Michael Nylander, Boston (NHL)
Samuel PÃ¥hlsson, Anaheim (NHL)
Andreas Salomonsson, Modo
Fredrik Sjöström, Phoenix (NHL)
Mathías Tjärnqvist, Utah (AHL)

Official roster - DENMARK

Statistics to the right denotes GP, G, A, P for Denmark

Goaltenders
31. Peter HIRSCH, Malmö Redhawks (SEL) 91 - 0 - 2 - 2
30. Michael MADSEN, Herlev Eagles 35 - 0 - 0 - 0
90. Jan JENSEN, Esbjerg Oilers 134 - 0 - 0 - 0

Defensemen
3. Jesper DUUS, Herlev Eagles 178 - 39 - 61 - 100
5. Daniel NIELSEN, Herning Blue Fox 48 - 5 - 14 - 19
7. Jesper DAMGAARD, MoDo (SEL) 157 - 25 - 43 - 68
16. Dan JENSEN, Herning Blue Fox 127 - 8 - 31 - 39
17. Morten DAHLMANN, Rungsted Cobras 68 - 12 - 5 - 17
20. Christian SCHIOLDAN, Frederikshavn Whitehawks 29 - 1 - 4 - 5
25. Andreas ANDREASEN, Esbjerg Oilers, 89 - 3 - 12 - 15
47. Thomas JOHNSEN, Odense Bulldogs 68 - 12 - 5 - 17

Forwards
8. Thor DRESLER, Herlev Eagles 52 - 11 - 11 - 22
9. Bent CHRISTENSEN, Odense Bulldogs 56 - 5 - 12 - 17
10. Bo NORDBY-ANDERSEN, AaB Ishockey 94 - 16 - 27 - 43
12. Mads TRUE, Odense Bulldogs 165 - 31 - 46 - 77
13. Ronny LARSEN, AaB Ishockey 197 - 71 - 75 - 146
15. Frans NIELSEN, Malmö Redhawks (SEL) 42 - 8 - 20 - 28
18. Alexander SUNDBERG, Odense Bulldogs 53 - 12 - 10 - 22
19. Kim STAAL, Malmö Redhawks (SEL) 101 - 63 - 46 - 109
21. Michael SMIDT, AaB Ishockey 31 - 4 - 4 - 8
22. Mike GREY, Frederikshavn Whitehawks 125 - 25- 19 - 44
24. Kasper DEGN, Herning Blue Fox 31 - 2 - 8 - 10
27. Jens NIELSEN, Leksands (SEL) 179 - 111 - 119 - 230
29. Morten GREEN, MoDo (SEL) 95 - 22 - 54 - 76
33. Nicolas MONBERG, Rungsted Cobras 75 - 24 - 16 - 40

gopher

Dec 5, 2002
Europe
www.legioxv.org
Official roster - AUSTRIA:

Goalies:
Bernd Brückler (University of Wisconsin - NCAA)
Claus Dalpiaz (HC Innsbruck)
Reinhard Divis (St. Louis Blues - NHL)

Defensemen:
Andre Lakos (Vienna Capitals)
Philippe Lakos (Vienna Capitals)
Robert Lukas (Superfund BW Linz)
Sven Klimbacher (Superfund BW Linz)
Thomas Pöck (New York Rangers - NHL)
Johannes Reichel (KAC)
Martin Ulrich (DEG Metro Stars - DEL)
Gerhard Unterluggauer (DEG Metro Stars - DEL)

Forwards:
Christoph Brandner (Houston Aeros - AHL) *
Raimund Divis (Superfund BW Linz)
Christoph Harand (Vienna Capitals)
Philippe-Michael Horsky (KAC)
Dieter Kalt (Färjestads BK - SEL)
Roland Kaspitz (VSV)
Thomas Koch (KAC)
Philipp Lukas (Superfund BW Linz)
Markus Peintner (Superfund BW Linz)
Oliver Setzinger (HPK Hämmenlinna - SM Liiga)
Marc Szücs (Superfund BW Linz)
Matthias Trattnig (Kassel Huskies - DEL)
Thomas Vanek (University of Minnesota - NCAA)
Daniel Welser (KAC)

* questionable

Last edited:

gib

Feb 3, 2004
skatman said:
In his interview on March 12, 2004 with Dmitry Pavlovich from Soviet Sport
Nikolai Zherdev talks about his trial and other stuff:
I still want to represent Russia on international stage. I hope all this will be behind and I will have a chance to play for Team Russia again. It is unfortunate
that I missed my last chance to participate in World Junior Championships this year.
Shall I come to Russia this summer? I have not thought about this, but if I do, I know I might be taken to Russian Army and I want to play hockey! I plan to go to Kiev, Ukraine.

:help: Can someone explain me something about Zherdev and Ukraine/Russia thing. How old Zherdev was when he moved from Ukraine to Russia? Why do players from Ukraine prefer represent Russia than Ukraine? I have read that many players form Ukraine move to play in Russia. So they have born in Ukraine, but at some age they move to play in Russia and take Russian citizenship?

I am just curious because Ukraine would have pretty good lineup if their players wouldn`t move to Russia. In WC there would be one more fairly competetive team if guys who have born in Ukraine would represent their homeland. In my opinion guys like Nik Zherdev and Alexei Zhitnik (those are guys who I know are born in Ukraine but there can be more of them) playing in team Ukraine instead of Russia would be boost for WC (I think Russian hockey fans disagree with that ; ). In team Ukraine there is also one of my all time favourite players.......
:bow: Dimitri Khristich

Last edited:

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
Thoughts:
- Too bad for the Swiss and Germans that the Sharks moved on to the second round.
- Any reason why Telqvist and/or Steen weren't named to the Swedish team?? Steen had been with the Swedish national team all year if I recall.
- Slovakia would be absolutely amazing if they had anything near a top notch goalie.

gib

Feb 3, 2004
Douggy said:
Thoughts:
- Too bad for the Swiss and Germans that the Sharks moved on to the second round.

Is there Swiss players in Sharks?

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Douggy said:
Thoughts:
- Any reason why Telqvist and/or Steen weren't named to the Swedish team?? Steen had been with the Swedish national team all year if I recall.
- Slovakia would be absolutely amazing if they had anything near a top notch goalie.

lasak didn't work out for us in nashville, but if you look back at his international play, he's consistently one of the better goalies in the tournament. he somehow gets "in the zone" for these things, and sheds all of his confidence problems. the guy has some fantastic skills...he just doesn't have the mental game to match to play in the NHL.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Douggy said:
Thoughts:
Any reason why Telqvist and/or Steen weren't named to the Swedish team?? Steen had been with the Swedish national team all year if I recall.

The Leafs don't allow Tellqvist to go as long as they are still in the playoffs.

Steen only played one tournament with Sweden and one or two exhibition games. The competition is tough and there are several quality players that did not make the team. Steen is simply not good enough yet, but hopefully he'll make the team next season.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Daniel Alfredsson has been added to team Sweden, woho! :)
He will likely not the play the first two games (Denmark, Japan) but definitely against Russia on Tuesday.

Graham

gib said:
:help: Can someone explain me something about Zherdev and Ukraine/Russia thing. How old Zherdev was when he moved from Ukraine to Russia? Why do players from Ukraine prefer represent Russia than Ukraine? I have read that many players form Ukraine move to play in Russia. So they have born in Ukraine, but at some age they move to play in Russia and take Russian citizenship?
I don't know about the specific instances of the players you mention, but remember in the old Soviet days families were moved around the country at the state's demand. A Lithuanian once told me that a lot of the Russians in Lithuania were there because some Lithuanians were regarded as being involved nationalist activities. To stop the nationalist movement gaining momentum, the Lithuanian family were moved to some far corner of Russia and a Russian family came into replace them (should point out that the Russian family didn't want to be moved, either). As a result, you have a lot of people in the former Soviet states who regard themselves as Russian, even though they were born after their family were re-housed.

The largest population in Riga (capital of Latvia) is not Latvian. It is Russian.

Graham.

Simagin

Nov 18, 2002
Graham said:
I don't know about the specific instances of the players you mention, but remember in the old Soviet days families were moved around the country at the state's demand. A Lithuanian once told me that a lot of the Russians in Lithuania were there because some Lithuanians were regarded as being involved nationalist activities. To stop the nationalist movement gaining momentum, the Lithuanian family were moved to some far corner of Russia and a Russian family came into replace them (should point out that the Russian family didn't want to be moved, either). As a result, you have a lot of people in the former Soviet states who regard themselves as Russian, even though they were born after their family were re-housed.

The largest population in Riga (capital of Latvia) is not Latvian. It is Russian.

Graham.

:handclap:

popperbolt*

gopher said:
Official roster - AUSTRIA:

Goalies:
Bernd Brückler (University of Wisconsin - NCAA)
Claus Dalpiaz (HC Innsbruck)
Reinhard Divis (St. Louis Blues - NHL)

Defensemen:
Andre Lakos (Vienna Capitals)
Philippe Lakos (Vienna Capitals)
Robert Lukas (Superfund BW Linz)
Sven Klimbacher (Superfund BW Linz)
Thomas Pöck (New York Rangers - NHL)
Johannes Reichel (KAC)
Martin Ulrich (DEG Metro Stars - DEL)
Gerhard Unterluggauer (DEG Metro Stars - DEL)

Forwards:
Christoph Brandner (Houston Aeros - AHL) *
Raimund Divis (Superfund BW Linz)
Christoph Harand (Vienna Capitals)
Philippe-Michael Horsky (KAC)
Dieter Kalt (Färjestads BK - SEL)
Roland Kaspitz (VSV)
Thomas Koch (KAC)
Philipp Lukas (Superfund BW Linz)
Markus Peintner (Superfund BW Linz)
Oliver Setzinger (HPK Hämmenlinna - SM Liiga)
Marc Szücs (Superfund BW Linz)
Matthias Trattnig (Kassel Huskies - DEL)
Thomas Vanek (University of Minnesota - NCAA)
Daniel Welser (KAC)

* questionable

brandner will NOT play
I'm hyped about vanek,koch,trattnig,welser,setzinger - they played huge against denmark

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Jussi said:
He wasn't good enough?
Gee Jussi, thanks for the detailed analysis :lol . I was thinking looking at their projected roster that Hemsky had a decent shot of making the team and was looking for some perspective as to how the team was made up and decided on.

As an example people talk about Dopita being on the team and Kraft being on the team. Maybe someone could provide some insight because certainly Hemsky should at least be considered as skilled as some of the players on the team.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
bizoncol said:
Russia roster so far:

goalie: Egor Podomatsky (lokomotiv-Yaroslavl), Maxim Sokolov (Avangard-Omsk) и Alexandr Fomichev (Siberia)

9 defensemen: - Dmitry Bykov, Vitaly Proshkin, Vasily Turkovsky (all- AkBars-Kazan), Alexandr Guskov, Dmitry Yushkevich (both – Lokomotiv), Dmitry Kalinin (Buffalo-NHL), Maxim Kondratiev(Lada-Togliatty), Oleg Tverdovsky (Avangard-Omsk), Andrey Skopintsev (Dynamo-Moscow)

14 forwards - Vladimir Antipov, Slava Butsaev (both - Lokomotiv), Maxim Afinogenov (Buffalo-NHL), Andrey Bashkirov (Lozanna-Switzerland), Valery Zelepukin (SKA), Sergey Zinoviev (Ak-Bars), Ilja Kovalchuk (Atlanta-NHL), Sergey Mozjakin and Nikolay Pronin (both - CSKA-Moscow), Alexey Morozov (Pittsburgh-NHL), Alexandr Ovechkin (Dynamo), Alexandr Prokopiev, Maxim Sushinsky (both - Avangard-Omsk), Alexandr Skugarev (Lada).

Possibly Alexey Yashin, Samsonov, Gonchar or Chubarov.

How did Baskirov make the team?

Slick Nick

Oct 29, 2003
Montréal
Visit site
gib said:

I am just curious because Ukraine would have pretty good lineup if their players wouldn`t move to Russia. In WC there would be one more fairly competetive team if guys who have born in Ukraine would represent their homeland. In my opinion guys like Nik Zherdev and Alexei Zhitnik (those are guys who I know are born in Ukraine but there can be more of them) playing in team Ukraine instead of Russia would be boost for WC (I think Russian hockey fans disagree with that ; ). In team Ukraine there is also one of my all time favourite players.......
:bow: Dimitri Khristich

You have to take in considaration that Ukraine as a country never really existed before 1992. It was a part of the russian empire at the begging, anexed to the Polish-Lithuanian empire where they actually became Ukrainians, and then back to Russia. (it's really not all that simple, but overall it looks like that). When the borders of the former USSR were drawn, they were arbitrary, and they were done from a bureaucratical view, not an historical or logical view. So after the USSR crumbled, a lot of the traditionnal russian territories as Crimea and eastern Ukraine were lost the Ukrianians. The language spoken by most poeple in Ukraine is Russian. And more than 10 million of Russians (ethnicly wise) live in Ukraine. So when you take exemples like Zherdev, well is he really Ukrainian? I don't know, because I can't really determine what is Ukrainian and what is Russian, since more than 200 ethnical groups live in Russia...I think he's both, Born in Ukraine, Russophone, Russian name...bla bla

As for why Ukrainians go to Russia in order to play hockey, it's quite simple. There's practicly no indoor hockey rinks in Ukraine, and the weather is pretty warm in winter so they don't really get to play outside neither. So most of the talanted kids from Ukraine go to Russia, because of it's rinks and also because of it's hockey schools.

I hope I didn't insult any Ukrainian or anything like that. I just wanted to explain basicly what's the situation out there. Because a lot of people do not know about the realty of countries like Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Belarus and other former USSR republics.

Slick Nick

Oct 29, 2003
Montréal
Visit site
montreal said:
How did Baskirov make the team?

I fell on my arse when I saw his name on the roster. Andrei who? the headless chiken style Bashkirov? man, I hope he improved since last time I saw him play, otherwise I doubt about Russia's chances :cry:

Slick Nick

Oct 29, 2003
Montréal
Visit site
I couldn't find anything for Kazakhstan, but I got that from the rench boards on the IHWC site.

Goals
Cristobal Huet
Fabrice Lhenry
Pat Rolland

Dйfenseurs
Baptiste Amar
Vincent Bachet
Allan Carriou
Nico Favarin
Chris Pouget
Nico Pousset
Lilian Prunet

Attaquants
Ben Bachelet
Sйbastien Bordeleau
Arnaud Briand
Brice Chauvel
Olivier Coqueux
Xavier Daramy
David Dostal
Laurent Gras
Anthony Mortas
Franзois Rozenthal
Maurice Rozenthal
Jon Zwikel

gib

Feb 3, 2004
Thanks to Slick Nick and Graham for your answers. Well this conversation is going out off tobic, but learning history of other countries is always good. Even if I am from Finland I didn`t know really much about Ukrainian history. I have of course read about Russian history in school, but it doesn`t really handle Ukraine. Even we are neighbours with Russia and Russia has common history with Ukraine. But Slick I want to add something to your post. This is from world fact book.

"Ukraine was the center of the first Slavic state, Kievan Rus, which during the 10th and 11th centuries was the largest and most powerful state in Europe. Weakened by internecine quarrels and Mongol invasions, Kievan Rus was incorporated into the Grand Duchy of Lithuania and eventually into the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. The cultural and religious legacy of Kievan Rus laid the foundation for Ukrainian nationalism through subsequent centuries."

Nationality quoestions can be pretty complicated. It seems that only Zherdev himself knows is he Ukrainian or Russian. Maybe he`s more Russian cause he wants to represents Russia. About Zhitnik I have read that in the olympics Russia had game against Ukraine and Zhitnik refused to play in that game (He was in team Russia).

Slick Nick

Oct 29, 2003
Montréal
Visit site
gib said:
"Ukraine was the center of the first Slavic state, Kievan Rus, which during the 10th and 11th centuries was the largest and most powerful state in Europe. Weakened by internecine quarrels and Mongol invasions, Kievan Rus was incorporated into the Grand Duchy of Lithuania and eventually into the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. The cultural and religious legacy of Kievan Rus laid the foundation for Ukrainian nationalism through subsequent centuries."

This is true and false at the same time. Kievan Rus was the largest and most powerfull state in Europe, but it hasn't anything to do with Ukraine. It was one of the Kingdoms that gave birth to the russian empire, along with other ones like Novgorod or Vladimir. The apparition of Ukrainians came only about 6 centuries later, so I can't see any link betwen the two, exept that Kiev is today Ukraine's capitial.

Anyways, we are really getting off topic. I want to wish you Finns the best of luck, and at the same time thank you for Saku koivu who is our greatest leader in Montreal!!!

Good Champs everybody!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad