U18: World Championship, Lappeenranta & Imatra, Finland

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
and there was continued talk of it today by the U18 coach who said a NTDP for U18 and U20 is the best route to take. It will be interesting to see where it goes...

I'd like to see Canada give it a trial run just out of curiosity.

It wouldn't make sense for Canada, with 60 CHL teams + whose kidz are so geographically spread out to try to hothouse U18's IMO. Plus CHL is doing just fine developmental wise. So if it ain't broke don't try to fix it..

What I don't understand is Hockey Canada's rule that once a kid has suited up for our U20's, he can't play in U18's...So in other words, a phenom like McDavid might be one ( U18 WC ) and done...Aren't we labouring under enough of a disadvantage at U18 WC as it is? Isn't HC in it to win it? Or is the U20 WJC ( read the almighty dollar ) as some seem to be insinuating here, the be all and end all ?

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
It wouldn't make sense for Canada, with 60 CHL teams + whose kidz are so geographically spread out to try to hothouse U18's IMO. Plus CHL is doing just fine developmental wise. So if it ain't broke don't try to fix it..

What I don't understand is Hockey Canada's rule that once a kid has suited up for our U20's, he can't play in U18's...So in other words, a phenom like McDavid might be one ( U18 WC ) and done...Aren't we labouring under enough of a disadvantage at U18 WC as it is? Isn't HC in it to win it? Or is the U20 WJC ( read the almighty dollar ) as some seem to be insinuating here, the be all and end all ?

I don't think Hockey Canada is necessarily in it to win all tournaments. Not all are created equal. Obviously the Olympics (with NHL participation) is the priority along with the U20 tournament, added bonus is that the U20 is HC's printing press for crisp, shinny new dollar bills. as for the rest, I really don't think they give a flying ****. Hlinka maybe...but as a summer U18 tournament who really takes that nonsense seriously besides HC.

And yes, it is a ridiculously stupid rule to have a "graduation policy" for players and to further handcuff the U18 tournament...but I'm not surprised...I mean a lot of the people making up the rules at Hockey Canada are not what you would call sharp minded people.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad