World Championship ... best adv stats teams?

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Describe what you're thinking of.

Since non-traditional metrics are typically used to project future performance, and since WC teams' turnover rates are significant, I'm not sure that I'm on board with what I think you're looking for.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
If I had to guess what TC meant, it'd be that, if we were to rank top NHL players by their advanced stats performance against NHL caliber players (a subjective ranking, I suppose, depending on what metrics you choose and how you weigh them), which projected World Championship team would have the highest average rank?

The thing is, advanced stats do not project well when you increase the talent level of all players involved. In fact, they change significantly. Some players can dominate against 80% of NHL players but play like garbage against the top 20%, but then there are some players who don't really dominate against any type of player but can find a way to score against or shut down the best players. It's weird, subjective, and fuzzy.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
If I had to guess what TC meant, it'd be that, if we were to rank top NHL players by their advanced stats performance against NHL caliber players (a subjective ranking, I suppose, depending on what metrics you choose and how you weigh them), which projected World Championship team would have the highest average rank?

The thing is, advanced stats do not project well when you increase the talent level of all players involved. In fact, they change significantly. Some players can dominate against 80% of NHL players but play like garbage against the top 20%, but then there are some players who don't really dominate against any type of player but can find a way to score against or shut down the best players. It's weird, subjective, and fuzzy.

Yes, something like that. We already know what Lombardi is going to do with Team USA, or can guess. We probably know Canada is gonna play puck possession. Is there a way to guess the style and then go after some advanced stats to fit the bill?

Because we know the cores of these teams. How do you fill them out? Or how will Lombardi and Armstrong and the other GM's fill out those rosters?

Last edited:

Beatle17

Jan 14, 2009
I don't think the US will be putting too much emphasis on the "advanced stats":

Torts about advanced stats:

"He’s never explained to me how his process works, but Tortorella has a way of looking at games through scoring chances. Breaking down how they happen gives him a true picture of what occurred. In a Tampa radio interview, Tortorella said he spent last season trying to learn about analytics. So what did he uncover? “You know what, not much…There are so many red flags going on with analytics. Corsi, Fenwick…(The year he coached in Vancouver), we were 10th in puck possession and finished 25th. Last year, LA was fifth and didn’t make it. It’s so media driven, it’s taken on a life of its own. It’s not Billy Beane, it’s an instinctive sport. It’s who you are playing against, and on a shot anything can happen. You have to be careful not to be controlled by numbers. You can’t sacrifice your beliefs to get along with the norm.”

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
I don't think the US will be putting too much emphasis on the "advanced stats":

Torts about advanced stats:

"He’s never explained to me how his process works, but Tortorella has a way of looking at games through scoring chances. Breaking down how they happen gives him a true picture of what occurred. In a Tampa radio interview, Tortorella said he spent last season trying to learn about analytics. So what did he uncover? “You know what, not much…There are so many red flags going on with analytics. Corsi, Fenwick…(The year he coached in Vancouver), we were 10th in puck possession and finished 25th. Last year, LA was fifth and didn’t make it. It’s so media driven, it’s taken on a life of its own. It’s not Billy Beane, it’s an instinctive sport. It’s who you are playing against, and on a shot anything can happen. You have to be careful not to be controlled by numbers. You can’t sacrifice your beliefs to get along with the norm.â€

Ugh, and he thinks Toews is the best player in the world. This Yank may have to root for Finland.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Some players can dominate against 80% of NHL players but play like garbage against the top 20%, but then there are some players who don't really dominate against any type of player but can find a way to score against or shut down the best players. It's weird, subjective, and fuzzy.

I'm not automatically disagreeing with you, but do you have any information that supports this? It seems intuitive, but I'm haven't seen any hard data on it.

Tortorella has a way of looking at games through scoring chances.

Sounds to me that Torts support analytics, just isn't on board with corsi/fenwick as some kind of God stat....which sounds perfectly reasonable.

Iain Fyffe

Hockey fact-checker
Which world?
The "Just Knows How to Win" World. The captain of a three-time Cup winner? How could he not be the best?

Sounds to me that Torts support analytics, just isn't on board with corsi/fenwick as some kind of God stat....which sounds perfectly reasonable.
Reasonable, unless he's rejecting it entirely because of that. His comment seems very dismissive, and he noted just a few examples of when it doesn't correlate to winning. That sounds like a naive understanding to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad