GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
10400640-ff63-0131-6fed-0add9426c766.gif

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Blatantly breaking the rules seems like a pretty lousy PR move, and burning the CBA is hardly in the interest of the players either.

You keep posting like you know this was strictly the Panthers decision, like they didn’t consult Barkov at all. What if Barkov was the one that decided not to go, and they released the statement the way they did, would Barkov not be blamed?

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
You keep posting like you know this was strictly the Panthers decision, like they didn’t consult Barkov at all. What if Barkov was the one that decided not to go, and they released the statement the way they did, would Barkov not be blamed?

That's how they communicated it all by themselves. Besides according to the rules the decision belongs to the player alone.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
That's how they communicated it all by themselves. Besides according to the rules the decision belongs to the player alone.

So would you be happier if the tweet was worded differently?

“On behalf of Barkov, the Florida Panthers would like to inform @Albatros directly, that Barkov will not be participating in the Wolrd Championships.”

Would that make you sleep better tonight? Again, you don’t know whether or not this was his decision. If it was, and they, including Barkov, informed the IIHF that he would not be participating, then I doubt they care about a tweet.

Reactions: PantherboyHTR

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
No, the Panthers do not have the right to make the decision in any form as it is solely a matter between Barkov and the Finnish federation.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I wanted Barkov there more than anybody but how do we know that Barkov didn’t decline himself? Tallon can’t force him not to go. I’m sure they talked and discussed about the possibility. You think Tallon wants to piss off the captain and get on bad terms with him? Doubt it. Barkov is probably exhausted and going to rest up to have an even better season next year. We need Barkov to come in healthy and ready to shit on the league.

Reactions: Montsy14

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
No, the Panthers do not have the right to make the decision in any form as it is solely a matter between Barkov and the Finnish federation.

Go talk to a lawyer then and sue them, since you know for a fact this wasn’t Barkov’s decision lmao. No, you don’t know, so stop talking like you do. Nowhere does it say a team can’t tweet that a player is not playing in the WCs. If Barkov informed them, before the tweet, that he wasn’t player, WHO CARES what the team tweeted.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
It seems obvious to me that there was open communication between Tallon and Barkov regarding this. I highly doubt Tallon would just arbitrarily announce that the won't be participating. This is the Captain and franchise player we're talking about here.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
It seems obvious to me that there was open communication between Tallon and Barkov regarding this. I highly doubt Tallon would just arbitrarily announce that the won't be participating. This is the Captain and franchise player we're talking about here.

But the tweet, the tweet! What about the tweet!?!?!? LMAO.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Go talk to a lawyer then and sue them, since you know for a fact this wasn’t Barkov’s decision lmao. No, you don’t know, so stop talking like you do. Nowhere does it say a team can’t tweet that a player is not playing in the WCs. If Barkov informed them, before the tweet, that he wasn’t player, WHO CARES what the team tweeted.

The Panthers tweet literally says that "after careful consideration the Panthers have declined" as well as "we've determined". It doesn't get more clear than that.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
The Panthers tweet literally says that "after careful consideration the Panthers have declined" as well as "we've determined". It doesn't get more clear than that.
Provide proof that they can't. Especially if Barkov has an injury.

If Barkov has an existing injury, and it gets worse at the Tournament, the team is still liable as it is considered as a hockey injury.

Reactions: CHGoalie27

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
It seems likely to me that this was a good way for Barkov to be able to decline the invite to rest and heal, and for the team to take any heat for it.

Superstar players need to be kept happy, especially when they are young guys on very cheap contracts. If he really wanted to be there, I think they would have let him be there. Not out of any sort of altruism, but because it's good business to do so.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
CBA 24.6 lists the conditions. Besides Barkov is not even IR/LTIR.
For the IIHF World Championships, the Clubs shall permit a Player to play for his
National team provided:
(a) The Player's Club either did not qualify for the NHL Playoffs or was eliminated in
an early round of the Playoffs.
(b) No agent or representative of the Player's National team inquired as to whether
the Player would be willing to play for his National team until after his Club was eliminated
from the NHL Playoffs and any such inquiry was only made with simultaneous notice being
given to the General Manager of the Player's Club and the Player.
(c) The IIHF or the Player's National team agree to provide such insurance to cover
the remaining value of the Player's SPC.
(d) The IIHF or the Player's National team agree to provide such additional insurance
to cover the Player's loss of earning capacity as the Player may require.

Wait a tick.

It doesnt say the team can't say no? In fact, it looks like the GM has to be notified by the National Team.
It's only guidelines on what is needed to be done for a player to be ABLE to play...where does it say the team is unable to decline?

WaitingForThatCab

Mar 11, 2017
The use of the word 'shall' is where it says that. Shall is a prescriptive word; it prescribes the required course of action.

Assuming that criteria a, b, c, and d are all met, the team SHALL permit the player to play. Not may, shall.

Reactions: StrangeVision

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
Yeah, it seems like the decision is in the hands of the player and their national team. All they need to do to get their player is notify the NHL club of their intention and pay for insurance, not high bars. If the Finnish program didn't notify the Panthers we probably would have known about it, and the Panthers statement would not have been necessary. That said, I don't know what other sections (if any) apply to this situation.

Hopefully, as was said above, the team is just providing PR coverage for Barkov's decision to skip.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hinterland

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
For the IIHF World Championships, the Clubs shall permit a Player to play for his
National team provided:
(a) The Player's Club either did not qualify for the NHL Playoffs or was eliminated in
an early round of the Playoffs.
(b) No agent or representative of the Player's National team inquired as to whether
the Player would be willing to play for his National team until after his Club was eliminated
from the NHL Playoffs and any such inquiry was only made with simultaneous notice being
given to the General Manager of the Player's Club and the Player.
(c) The IIHF or the Player's National team agree to provide such insurance to cover
the remaining value of the Player's SPC.
(d) The IIHF or the Player's National team agree to provide such additional insurance
to cover the Player's loss of earning capacity as the Player may require.

Wait a tick.

It doesnt say the team can't say no? In fact, it looks like the GM has to be notified by the National Team.
It's only guidelines on what is needed to be done for a player to be ABLE to play...where does it say the team is unable to decline?

They can absolutely decline. As it says in the tweet Barkov has been playing through nagging injuries, needs to heal and hence the team has decided to decline the invitation.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
The use of the word 'shall' is where it says that. Shall is a prescriptive word; it prescribes the required course of action.

Assuming that criteria a, b, c, and d are all met, the team SHALL permit the player to play. Not may, shall.

But then there is also this

A Player participating in the IIHF World Championships will be deemed to be
participating in a hockey-related activity pursuant to his SPC, and will be protected for injury to
the same extent as if he were participating in an NHL Game.

If he does have injuries, it sounds like the team is able to have jurisdiction as it is considered an "NHL Game."

Boothinator

@MrBoothinator
Sep 19, 2009

participating in a hockey-related activity pursuant to his SPC, and will be protected for injury to

If he does have injuries, it sounds like the team is able to have jurisdiction as it is considered an "NHL Game."

Yeah they have an insurance police which has to be covered

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007

That just means the national team has to cover any injuries during the tournament that the NHL team would ordinarily cover during the NHL season.

WaitingForThatCab

Mar 11, 2017

That's very vague. I'd have to look through like the entire NHL collective bargaining agreement to form an opinion on that one.

And I'm not even a lawyer, so I shan't be doing that. Also I'm lazy, fat, and stupid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad