World Championship 2019 - Panthers

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
This is national pride for players like Barkov and Dadonov. It’s different for these guys than it is for Canadians. It’s jsut how it is.

Believe me, I understand that. I live in Greece and see how they get with national pride. I still think the tournament is irrelevant. If it was the Olympics or the World Cup, then I’d understand.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Believe me, I understand that. I live in Greece and see how they get with national pride. I still think the tournament is irrelevant. If it was the Olympics or the World Cup, then I’d understand.
Yeah I know but those players see this as a huge opportunity to represent their country. A lot of these kids just want to play for the national team growing up and them making the NHL doesn't change that.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I agree that it’s irrelevant to you and to a lot of other people. But it’s not irrelevant to these players. I think they should be allowed to play (and I’m sure it’s part of their contracts).

Now, don’t misunderstand them. They’d RATHER be in the playoffs than in the world championship. All of them would. But in past years, players like Ovi have joined their team after losing in the playoffs.

ScottyMascotty

Dec 24, 2017
St. Petersburg
I'm surprised Dadonov is going as it was reported earlier he didn't want to go
Maybe it was just misunderstanding? Dadonov always wanted to play for his national team, and a few days ago he confirmed in interview (in russian lang.) that he'll play if he get the call

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
This is national pride for players like Barkov and Dadonov. It’s different for these guys than it is for Canadians. It’s jsut how it is.

Thx American or Canadian People cant understand this, they know their NHL League rest is unimportant. But for a lot of Players like to play for their Country with pride and it is by far the most important Tournament on the european continent. With all their Players able to play with Friends meet the Family and play Hockey as you would play Playoffs.

Reactions: CHGoalie27

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany

You dont understand it otherwise you wouldnt make that former post of an unimportant, sorry irrelevant Tournament. That is also a important Tournament for the EU market and Fans.
So your former post shows me u dont know it.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
I agree that it’s irrelevant to you and to a lot of other people. But it’s not irrelevant to these players. I think they should be allowed to play (and I’m sure it’s part of their contracts).

Now, don’t misunderstand them. They’d RATHER be in the playoffs than in the world championship. All of them would. But in past years, players like Ovi have joined their team after losing in the playoffs.

I would find some more simple Words for it, they want to play Hockey. I mean Player want to play Hockey. If its for a World Cup or Stanley Cup, i mean even Ovi, Malkin and all other superstars travel straight after PO out to this Tournament to represent themself and their Country.

This Tournament is where you hit the EU Market as NHL, with a lot of NHL Stars playing there.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Doesn't matter, according to the CBA as well as the agreement between the NHL and the IIHF the club explicitly does not have the authority to forbid its players from participating.

The Panthers either don't have a clue what they're doing or don't care, neither is a good look.

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
Doesn't matter, according to the CBA as well as the agreement between the NHL and the IIHF the club explicitly does not have the authority to forbid its players from participating.

The Panthers either don't have a clue what they're doing or don't care, neither is a good look.

It is just a PR-move... It is really hard for european players to declined those events, so they have a statement from the Panthers just so Barky doesn't look selfish to Finland...

Reactions: WaitingForThatCab

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Blatantly breaking the rules seems like a pretty lousy PR move, and burning the CBA is hardly in the interest of the players either.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Blatantly breaking the rules seems like a pretty lousy PR move, and burning the CBA is hardly in the interest of the players either.

Nobody in NA really cares about ice hockey WC. I don't see how thats a lousy PR move and anyways it seems every NHL players from Finland has declined as there are ZERO full time NHLers going for Finland from any team

Reactions: IM Clutcm

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Even if one does not care about the World Championships one would be expected to care about other consequences of breaking agreements.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad