World Championship 2016

NikoEhlers

May 2, 2013
Aalborg, Denmark
Difficult to say how this team is gonna look come crunch time, I wont put too much emphasis on test games, but right now Eller looks like a good addition

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
I habe said all along the team has shown some worrying tendencies. even with an actually pretty good team.

Think we will se some ugly hockey with maybe relegation play to follow.

Oh no, we are doomed....cause you are always right in your predictions....

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
what am I predicting? all I am basically saying is I wont be suprised if we have to play relegation games.
I dont think we will relegate, but I do think a QF is a far cry.

I also dont say relegation games are certain, I am saying I think there is a good chance we might get to play them. this is a hockey forum, I talk hockey just like you guys. And im fine with you guys finding me odd or pessimistic, but lately that tune has become a tad more passive aggressive, and that I do not like.

you guys gotta ease off on this hostility, its getting a little old.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
what am I predicting? all I am basically saying is I wont be suprised if we have to play relegation games.

I also dont say relegation games are certain, I am saying I think there is a good chance we might get to play them. this is a hockey forum, I talk hockey just like you guys. And im fine with you guys finding me odd or pessimistic, but lately that tune has become a tad more passive aggressive, and that I do not like.

I can only speak for myself but i have no hostility towards you..quite the opposite in fact..its just banter

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I can only speak for myself but i have no hostility towards you..quite the opposite in fact..its just banter

might have gotten the wrong leg out of bed and taken something to heart I shouldnt have. no biggie ill just keep quiet:laugh:

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Friendly bantering Nucks - we need to have you sharp for the Norway game ;)

There's no such thing relegation games. Is there?

My eyes are on keeping Kazahkstan at bay until the last game so we don't HAVE to win that game. And then hoping Hungary have a tough time in the other group.

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen

I don't think so as two teams are relegated. Even in the worst case scenario where Denmark is relegated, we would be guaranteed promotion the following year as we are hosting in 2018...

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Friendly bantering Nucks - we need to have you sharp for the Norway game ;)

My eyes are on keeping Kazahkstan at bay until the last game so we don't HAVE to win that game. And then hoping Hungary have a tough time in the other group.

I had a bad morning, I know, lame excuse:laugh:

Ill be as sharp as possible, yet still nervous, hate loosing to Norway :cry:

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
QF is always a long shot because there are so many teams on the same level as us...i was busy at work so i missed part of the game but it has been positive to see a new young center in aagaard...i agree that green is a problem in a big role...he is good on faceoffs and would still be good enough as a 4th center but having him plsy this much is really a big issue...Janne needs to convert somebody to center...

Can hansen play center? Ehlers and From looked a good pairing vs norway...

But the faceoff win % could be an issue like others have said..

But i cant wait for the wc to begin

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Sweet to see 22 skaters on that roster :D :laugh:

I'm not sure this roster has enough role players. Eller and Hansen are gonna play 1st line minutes(30-35%), 1st PP(60-70%), 1st BP(40-50 %)... They're gonna get some ice time.

I wonder if Mads Christensen at center is even an option. It doesn't help the faceoff woes if I recall correct, but at least the D-men will have an option up the middle to start a break out. Eller-Mads C-Madsen-Green would be my wish. Put Mads C with Bjørkstrand and either Morten Poulsen or Kiril Starkov to try and spark something(And get Green down in EV minutes).

There's some construction flaws with this team. Hope they fix them.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Sweet to see 22 skaters on that roster :D :laugh:

I'm not sure this roster has enough role players. Eller and Hansen are gonna play 1st line minutes(30-35%), 1st PP(60-70%), 1st BP(40-50 %)... They're gonna get some ice time.

I wonder if Mads Christensen at center is even an option. It doesn't help the faceoff woes if I recall correct, but at least the D-men will have an option up the middle to start a break out. Eller-Mads C-Madsen-Green would be my wish. Put Mads C with Bjørkstrand and either Morten Poulsen or Kiril Starkov to try and spark something(And get Green down in EV minutes).

There's some construction flaws with this team. Hope they fix them.

Sorry guys for being away awhile, but I'm back for some discussion on possible line-ups after we have the roster.

So the big question is do we put all our eggs in one basket or do we spread them out? One time before it utterly failed to max out our NHL players in a first line.

Ehlers - Eller - Hansen seems obvious as a first line, but Eller is by far our best center available and it means also best defensive center!

So we could have the first line with a center that can offensively provide for Ehlers and Hansen and then sharing the ice time burden with another line?

So maxing the top gives us:
Ehlers - Eller - Hansen
Christensen - Starkov - N. Jensen
Storm - Madsen - P. Bjørkstrand
Poulsen - Green - Bau Hansen.
Aagaard and From as reserves to start with.

So centers Starkov, Madsen and Green probably in that order, after Eller?

Spreading lines: This will perhaps look crazy, but see the reasoning below.
Ehlers - Starkov - Hansen
Storm - Eller - P. Bjørkstrand
Christensen - Madsen - N. Jensen
Poulsen - Green - Bau Hansen

Starkov is basically a natural offensive player (though he have been relegated to more defensive roles through the years I still think that he could thrive with "star quality").
Perhaps he can shine offensively with Ehlers and Hansen? Remember they are playing in Russia - it normally affects Russians in strange ways. At least give him one match and see if Starkov awakens (he has before playing against Russia been outstanding).
The question is off course his face offs.....but maybe this line could be brought onboard every time we have a change with flow in the game, where Ehlers and Hansen can use their speed?

If Starkov doesn't work out you could change with Madsen?

So Eller with some wings: With Christensen & N. Jensen is still very offensively focused. With Storm and P. Bjørkstrand you would have a defensively strong "energizer" line.
So for defensive zone starts and fighting out of trouble Storm - Eller - P. Bjørkstrand looks like a good option.

For offensive zone starts Christensen - Madsen - N. Jensen. This is mostly an offensive line with less skill in defense, though Madsen has converted into that roll the recent years so it might be enough to keep this from being overrun?
Also gives N. Jensen a chance to snipe after a face off.

Defensive zone relief. Poulsen - Green - Bau Hansen. Green is good at face-offs and Poulsen is hard working and Bau Hansen has some weight to push in when needed to fight at the boards.

Alternatively changing into this is basically equally good in my book:
Christensen - Eller - N. Jensen
Balanced more equally defensive wise.....

So totally crazy or what do you think??

It's many matches, so maybe Green only has gas for 4th line play.
Unless he plays max one match and then sit and change with Aagaard the next before returning...that is another possibility?

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen

Settle down please. I was trying to make a joke. Obviously I failed miserable. I appologize.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Sorry guys for being away awhile, but I'm back for some discussion on possible line-ups after we have the roster.

So the big question is do we put all our eggs in one basket or do we spread them out? One time before it utterly failed to max out our NHL players in a first line.

Ehlers - Eller - Hansen seems obvious as a first line, but Eller is by far our best center available and it means also best defensive center!

So we could have the first line with a center that can offensively provide for Ehlers and Hansen and then sharing the ice time burden with another line?

So maxing the top gives us:
Ehlers - Eller - Hansen
Christensen - Starkov - N. Jensen
Poulsen - Green - Bau Hansen.
Aagaard and From as reserves to start with.

So centers Starkov, Madsen and Green probably in that order, after Eller?

Spreading lines: This will perhaps look crazy, but see the reasoning below.
Ehlers - Starkov - Hansen
Storm - Eller - P. Bjørkstrand
Christensen - Madsen - N. Jensen

Starkov is basically a natural offensive player (though he have been relegated to more defensive roles through the years I still think that he could thrive with "star quality").
Perhaps he can shine offensively with Ehlers and Hansen? Remember they are playing in Russia - it normally affects Russians in strange ways. At least give him one match and see if Starkov awakens (he has before playing against Russia been outstanding).
The question is off course his face offs.....but maybe this line could be brought onboard every time we have a change with flow in the game, where Ehlers and Hansen can use their speed?

If Starkov doesn't work out you could change with Madsen?

So Eller with some wings: With Christensen & N. Jensen is still very offensively focused. With Storm and P. Bjørkstrand you would have a defensively strong "energizer" line.
So for defensive zone starts and fighting out of trouble Storm - Eller - P. Bjørkstrand looks like a good option.

For offensive zone starts Christensen - Madsen - N. Jensen. This is mostly an offensive line with less skill in defense, though Madsen has converted into that roll the recent years so it might be enough to keep this from being overrun?
Also gives N. Jensen a chance to snipe after a face off.

Defensive zone relief. Poulsen - Green - Bau Hansen. Green is good at face-offs and Poulsen is hard working and Bau Hansen has some weight to push in when needed to fight at the boards.

Alternatively changing into this is basically equally good in my book:
Christensen - Eller - N. Jensen
Balanced more equally defensive wise.....

So totally crazy or what do you think??

It's many matches, so maybe Green only has gas for 4th line play.
Unless he plays max one match and then sit and change with Aagaard the next before returning...that is another possibility?

You put some thought into this for sure. But from my - limited - view in the warm up games I'm not sure that Starkov is up to the task. What I've seen from him I'm not sure he's much more than a marginal upgrade from Morten Green offensively and perhaps a wash with Morten Madsen offensively. I agree that Starkov is offensively of type and perhaps he'll sparkle with NHL talent. But I'm not seeing it. That also has to do with break out being the primary problem. Starkov's more of an offensive zone player - perhaps more suited for a 3rd or 4th line where you can be more picky with how you deploy it.

Also Eller would make the line deployable in every zone - which would make sense if Ellers is gonna play big minutes. And Eller can win crucial face-offs. Which means we can ice Ehlers, Hansen and Eller in crucial situations. And it would not put our best assets - Ehlers and Jannik Hansen - at risk of not being utilized fully.

Counting them now I have eight(Ehlers, Eller, Hansen, Jensen, Storm, Bjørkstrand, Madsen, Mads C) top-9 forwards and Starkov and Morten Poulsen to fill out the last spot. I'd try putting Mads Christensen at center before making Starkov a top-9 center.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
The different combinations seem harder this year than in years past..there are just so few good possible centers...god we need the backhand of justice more than ever

I see where the starkov idea came wrong and we have seen glimses in the past but im a little skeptical...

Have hansen and ehlers on two different lines will probably be the best...we have quite a bit of talent on the wings...

I could see jensen and ehlers working quite well. Hansen and bjork maybe

We just have to wait and see but im getting nervous now

Last edited:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
You put some thought into this for sure. But from my - limited - view in the warm up games I'm not sure that Starkov is up to the task. What I've seen from him I'm not sure he's much more than a marginal upgrade from Morten Green offensively and perhaps a wash with Morten Madsen offensively. I agree that Starkov is offensively of type and perhaps he'll sparkle with NHL talent. But I'm not seeing it. That also has to do with break out being the primary problem. Starkov's more of an offensive zone player - perhaps more suited for a 3rd or 4th line where you can be more picky with how you deploy it.

Also Eller would make the line deployable in every zone - which would make sense if Ellers is gonna play big minutes. And Eller can win crucial face-offs. Which means we can ice Ehlers, Hansen and Eller in crucial situations. And it would not put our best assets - Ehlers and Jannik Hansen - at risk of not being utilized fully.

Counting them now I have eight(Ehlers, Eller, Hansen, Jensen, Storm, Bjørkstrand, Madsen, Mads C) top-9 forwards and Starkov and Morten Poulsen to fill out the last spot. I'd try putting Mads Christensen at center before making Starkov a top-9 center.

I agree with you that Starkov is not ideal, but it is a bit "dangerous" to become a total one-line team in a tournament with so many closely spaced matches.

If this line is our offensive weapon it can't also be our primary defensive weapon as well. At least not the whole tournament or they will run themselves into the ground.

How much has Mads Christensen been playing center?
I can see that left wing are where we have a lot of good players, so it's just a question of which of these we move to center. Madsen seem a dead certain to play center instead of wing, but probably more on a defensive line?

So Bank - you would perhaps go with this top 9 group:
Ehlers - Eller - Hansen (top line)
Storm - Madsen - P. Bjørkstrand (ok defensive line, with excellent work ethics)
Starkov - Christensen - Nicklas Jensen (very offensive line for offensive zone starts)
Aagaard and From reserves....

Splitting up Ehlers and Hansen, you had something like this in mind as a first line?
Ehlers - Eller - N. Jensen

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
I agree with you that Starkov is not ideal, but it is a bit "dangerous" to become a total one-line team in a tournament with so many closely spaced matches.

If this line is our offensive weapon it can't also be our primary defensive weapon as well. At least not the whole tournament or they will run themselves into the ground.

How much has Mads Christensen been playing center?
I can see that left wing are where we have a lot of good players, so it's just a question of which of these we move to center. Madsen seem a dead certain to play center instead of wing, but probably more on a defensive line?

So Bank - you would perhaps go with this top 9 group:
Ehlers - Eller - Hansen (top line)
Storm - Madsen - P. Bjørkstrand (ok defensive line, with excellent work ethics)
Starkov - Christensen - Nicklas Jensen (very offensive line for offensive zone starts)
Aagaard and From reserves....

Splitting up Ehlers and Hansen, you had something like this in mind as a first line?
Ehlers - Eller - N. Jensen

I believe that quality of offensive will be directly effected by the quality of defense for us in this tournament since our warm-up games has not given me a lot of faith in our possession game.

So in this is example the Ehlers-Eller-Hansen line would be deployed all over the ice. Storm-Madsen-Bjørkstrand(To use your example) could be deployed further back on the ice. Starkov/Poulsen-Christensen-Nicklas Jensen would be deployed more offensively. Ditto goes for the fouth line if it contains Starkov.

This gives you a couple of go-to-lines in every corner of the ice.

I'll grant you that we become easier to match up against. But if I'm the opposing coach and Starkov's between Ehlers and Jannik Hansen - I'm having a field day matching that up against a strong center and watching Ehlers spend all his game in his own zone. And I'd consider half my job done.

O Regin, O Jakobsen, where are thou! :help:

DK Rookie

May 9, 2013
Just dropping by (doing so every one or two years it seems! Where did the time go...)

Regarding relegation: Just saw Kim Pedersen's comments here:

Hvis Frankrig eller Tyskland slutter sidst, og eksempelvis Ungarn slutter på syvendepladsen, skal man sammenligne Ungarns pointantal med syvendepladsen i gruppe A, og så vil det hold med færrest point rykke ned sammen med ottendepladsen i gruppe A

Which doesn't match with the official tournament site, which I read a few days ago (being concerned about the situation with Germany and France too!)

Note: If the co-hosts for the 2017 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship (Germany and France) end up in positions 7 and 8 in Group B during the 2016 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship, only one team will be relegated – the 8th-ranked team of Group A – and only the winner of the 2016 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship Division I Group A will be promoted.

Just wanted to sprinkle some confusement onto our collective nervousness...

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Just dropping by (doing so every one or two years it seems! Where did the time go...)

Regarding relegation: Just saw Kim Pedersen's comments here:

Which doesn't match with the official tournament site, which I read a few days ago (being concerned about the situation with Germany and France too!)

Just wanted to sprinkle some confusement onto our collective nervousness...

Both claims appear to be true.

I can spot one difference in the two claims but I can't think of why the rules would be any different in those scenarios.

So Kim Petersen is speculating that Germany or France ends up as #8 in the other group. So let's say France is #8 and Germany is #4. In that case #8 in our group goes down with the worst of the #7.

In the IIHF-scenario Germany and France has taken both #8 and #7 in the other group. For some reason then only one team would be relegated.

But I don't see why the rules would change in that case, so I can't say with any conviction, that I think that's the case.

DK Rookie

May 9, 2013
Both claims appear to be true.

I can spot one difference in the two claims but I can't think of why the rules would be any different in those scenarios.

So Kim Petersen is speculating that Germany or France ends up as #8 in the other group. So let's say France is #8 and Germany is #4. In that case #8 in our group goes down with the worst of the #7.

In the IIHF-scenario Germany and France has taken both #8 and #7 in the other group. For some reason then only one team would be relegated.

But I don't see why the rules would change in that case, so I can't say with any conviction, that I think that's the case.

Right you are! Just me that's confused when half-heartedly reading news on the go... copy-pasting doesn't really help with understanding when you don't pay much attention!

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
Someone should explain to Bøjgaard that if either Germany or France finish last in the other group, there will be only one team relegated. So, regardless of the end result in the other group, there will never be more than one team relegated from Denmark's group.

Italy finished second in the Pool B championships, but won't know if they will be promoted until we know if either Germany or France finish last in their group.

Last edited:

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
See, I told you. Nothing to worry about :sarcasm:

Sebastian Dahm was gold with a 40+ save shutout. I expect Simon Nielsen will get the game against Sweden.

Oliver Lauridsen and Daniel Nielsen was huge for us. Played almost half the third period on their own. Big on BP.

Bødker and Lassen. Solid. Nothing unexpected in either direction. If we're nitpikcing Bødker is still a little ambitious in his passing out of the zone at times. Lassen's not gonna break any speed records exiting the zone either.

Jensen-Jensen. Jesper B. Jensen was great IMO! Nicholas B. Jensen did well on the psychical side but was a bit to slow at times for it to be a well-rounded defensive effort IMO. Like Lassen he takes his time getting the puck up the ice.

NHL-line. Did good IMO. The second goal was all them and Daniel Nielsen. Big minus of course is Ellers high sticks. Nicklas Jensen and Mads Christensen got away with the same but three times in one game is not gonna fly. It also caused their minutes to drop.

Storm-Madsen-Nicklas Jensen. Looked solid. Created a few chances here and there. Nothing sustained or consistent but when it gives you two goals - you can't complain.

Mads C-Green-Bjørkstrand. Great in their own end. Morten Green did well. Not to much of notice in the other end but I think Mads C and Green was the two most used forwards with all the PK'ing in third. Solved that splendid.

Bau-Starkov-Poulsen. No need to worry about the fourth line. Focused on keeping it simple and exiting the D-zone cleanly. Bau's strength starting to show even at this level.

That said first period showed how we can get ourselves into trouble when we take to long getting the puck up the ice.

Someone should explain to Bøjgaard that if either Germany or France finish last in the other group, there will be only one team relegated. So, regardless of the end result in the other group, there will never be more than one team relegated from Denmark's group.

Italy finished second in the Pool B championships, but won't know if they will be promoted until we know if either Germany or France finish last in their group.

I'm not sure that's how it works.

Last edited:

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
http://wmia2016.iihf.com/en/news/aut-slo/

I can only read that as no more than one team from Denmark's group relegated. And if either Germany or France finish last, the 7th placed team in their group will be relegated. If Germany and France finish 7 and 8, then no team from their group will be relegated and still only one team from Denmark's group. Of course the IIHF could go handball style and change the rules 8 times before the end of the tournament. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad