Workouts to Improve Hockey Shooting

HowToHockey

Hey guys, just wondering what some good workouts are for improving the power of your shot. I found a bunch of good ones in a hockey conditioning book that I posted in my newest article workouts to improve hockey shooting power

I want to hear if you guys have any that helped you improve your shot.

The number one workout for me....was actually shooting the puck! It helped me improve my slapshot by 20MPH. I think I have maxed out at 75MPH so I am going to stick to these workouts and see if I can break 80

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
strength your wrists, squeeze a tennis ball or the hand trainers.

step up to twisting a bar with a weight attached by 3 foot skate lace up and down. start with a five pound weight and hold bar in front of you chest high and twist the bar so the lace winds up and untwist.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
As long as you're a fully grown man who hits the gym somewhat often and not a total twig, I really do think shooting is almost entirely about technique, not strength. I've seen plenty of skinny guys who can blast the puck as hard as anyone. Look at guys like Mike Ribeiro and Kyle Wellwood, they have NHL level shots despite having the muscle mass of 12 year olds. As beavboyz said, I think just shooting the puck a tonne is the best way to improve your power, you'll naturally strengthen the muscles you need a bit, and dramatically improve your technique.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
That's a fascinating post, Bee.

That's also why poor skaters should take skating lessons rather than hit the gym and work on squats.

I'll always think back to one of the best skaters I ever played with, a 17 year old kid that was about 6' and maybe 140 pound soaking wet. Legs were like twigs and his socks were always falling down. But he would get across the ice in half a dozen strides, was the smoothest stickhandler, and had a bomb of a shot. He played at the highest junior level in the US, not sure what it was, but that taught me technique is far more important than strength.

HowToHockey

That's a fascinating post, Bee.

That's also why poor skaters should take skating lessons rather than hit the gym and work on squats.

I'll always think back to one of the best skaters I ever played with, a 17 year old kid that was about 6' and maybe 140 pound soaking wet. Legs were like twigs and his socks were always falling down. But he would get across the ice in half a dozen strides, was the smoothest stickhandler, and had a bomb of a shot. He played at the highest junior level in the US, not sure what it was, but that taught me technique is far more important than strength.

Sounds like Gretzky, but in Canada. He didn't have any muscle mass.

droller*

Best way is to do just that, shoot. It'll improve your technique, build muscles in your wrists and will also give you a good cardio workout if you do it for an extended period of time.

Power in shots comes from ones ability to transfer weight in a smooth motion. The better you are at transferring weight, the harder the shot (especially wrist/snap shots).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad