B
Too much coasting after the 1st
Pittsburgh's crap pushed us hard until the end
Dahlin with some serious mistakes, costing a few goals

U
Girgensons
Vesey
Blowing leads

Hopefully Krueger is ready to give some harsh words, and Botterill is prepared to waive some veterans if they continue to play bad (Girgensons, Vesey, Scandella)

Still, hockey is back!

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Good:

HOCKEY!!
Smoking a lineup they should smoke for two periods.
Nice to see Sheary lighting up his old team yet again.
That Dahlin hesitation and feed to spring Sheary was subtle and so sexy.
Solid PP stuff - Tage doing netfront like he spent all off-season working on hit. Oh. Wait. He did. Good job, kid. Keep it up.
Gilmour with a productive night.
That Joker sequence where he both started and finished his play was great.
Jack sends the loyalists home with a win.

Bad:
My laptop hesitating like Dahlin on a stretch pass.
Dahlin in his own zone was an adventure
This Pens lineup. Eeek.
Buffalo not smoking a team they should smoke through regulation.

Ugly:
Hope they got that ugly goal stretch out of the way with the first game. Some definite oxidation to knock off out there.

Reactions: Dahlin 2 Eichel

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
If you've ever played hockey you've been in games like this. Dominate and go up early against an unmatched opponent, start to take them lightly, get lazy and stop making quick plays, watch them come back due to your lack of attention and effort, then panic at the end and try to overpower them with talent. Happens at all levels.

First game after three days of practice with a new coach and a lot of new players. This should be a warning to Sabres/B who play tomorrow.

I was very impressed with Gilmour/Lazar/Miller/Cozens/Joker. The rest were kind of eh - about what you'd expect in a preseason game after very little practice. Maybe better that they came back and the Sabres saw that they have to keep it up all game then if they cruised to an easy win and they ended up learning nothing. Get those bad habits out now.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
*Posted this is the Game Thread*
Quick little rundown.

I thought Cozens played well, Thompson showed some good.. Eichel and Skinner arent in hockey mode yet.. Dahlin still overthinking in critical situations going -4 tonight, hopefully the coaches sit him down and show him his gaffs for an hour (it will probably take that long). I liked the speed from Gilmour, Sheary looked decent (but he always does against the Pens), Goaltending made me puke.

Good learning curve for Krueger to see, has to keep his players heads in the game. Jack gets frustrated easy so hopefully he can get thru to him.

We went from the Defense Whisperer to the People Whisperer, hopefully the latter does better.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Will just point out the biggest standouts to me, but overall there was more good than bad.

Three Stars

1. Tage Thompson - If he plays like that the rest of the preseason he will earn his opening night spot. That's the type of game he needs to play to be successful.

2. Colin Miller - I know he has an offensive side, but I was really impressed with his defensive and physical game tonight. He will be a great addition.

3. Conor Sheary - As usual, a good offensive outing against the Pens. If he could bring that game consistently, he could be a decent fit next to Skinner-Eichel.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Any video of the goals?

Edit: also, for those who watched does the official boxscore of 47-18 shots in our favor seem accurate? I feel like I looked at it a minute ago and they had ours in the 30s, so I don't know if they're just making it up as they go along.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Awesome:
Hockey is back, and that’s all that matters

Good:
Thompson
Lazar
47 shots - 5 goals
Gilmour
Miller

Bad:
Girgensons
Larsson
JJ - 10 or 11 shots against - 4 goals
Eichel
Skinner
Vesey
E-Rod
Sheary

Ugly:
Dahlin - terrible night
Eichel-Sheary reunion in OT after playing all game. Didn’t work that great in 2018-2019; continues to stink today. Let’s hope that’s the last time we see them together.

Other thoughts:
Thought this reminded me of last years team. Had an inconsistent time cracking the opposition’s defensive zone structure, even when our 2-1-2 was “working”. Best line to crack that was the Thompson line. This was against Pitts bottom 6. We had a mixture of top line all the way to 4th line. The coaching staff has a ways to go.

Not liking the lack of use of Cozens in OT. Could’ve used another guy that can skate. I liked Cozens game of stopping at the crease. If he continues to do that he will have success in the league.

Wasting a home preseason game in an arena filled with the opposition’s fans. Must be pregaming for the Leafs “home” game on Friday, essentially giving us 1 home preseason game. It’s nothing big, just something that irritates me.

Not enough dangerous chances for the amount of shots we have.

Reactions: hizzoner

Sansbacon

Sep 26, 2006
Westchester, NY
Any video of the goals?

Edit: also, for those who watched does the official boxscore of 47-18 shots in our favor seem accurate? I feel like I looked at it a minute ago and they had ours in the 30s, so I don't know if they're just making it up as they go along.
In regards to the shots, they had something like 38 after 2 periods, so 47 sog sounds about right.

Reactions: Montag DP

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It seems like a couple of bubble players had good energy tonight. Gilmour seemed more impressive than Lazar. I was left wondering if Elie even played.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
It seems like a couple of bubble players had good energy tonight. Gilmour seemed more impressive than Lazar. I was left wondering if Elie even played.

I try to put players in b and u that I actually have expectations for. 81 is basically a non-entity to me unless he somehow loses the game for us. He should be in the first cut wave.

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
Love what I saw from Miller. Cozens made a few nice passes, like the one to Ellie.

Lazar is fast, and looked pretty good.

Joker played well I thought.

Dahlin -4 was very crappy.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I try to put players in b and u that I actually have expectations for. 81 is basically a non-entity to me unless he somehow loses the game for us. He should be in the first cut wave.
I think they have to whittle down the roster quickly so they have a small enough group to teach their system too. I don't believe the coaching staff has nailed down the system they will play but they have a good idea about what they want to do. If I were making the decisions: Unless a guy who's not waiver eligible knocks my socks off, he's going down. I wouldn't lose any sleep over cutting a 4th line player that turned out to be better than someone I kept. You can call players back up. It makes for a nice sound byte when coaches talk about having an open competition, but the sooner they get their roster set, the sooner they can learn to play like a team.

Last edited:

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
A much better Sabres team dominated a scrubby Pens team early on in a game a few days into training camp. It was hardly surprising they let a team of tryhards back into it. There is basically nothing at the team level to take from this in my opinion.

Tage looked really good by his standards. I was thinking earlier today how much I think he has more potential as a two-way player than as a scorer. A game like this shows he is trending well in being a solid all-around NHLer, if he keeps it up. Cozens did well in his first pro game.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I noticed Elie's hair. Reminded me of Jordan Nolan. For all the praise about his play Lazar was -3 . Gilmour looked good. If Krueger doesn't see him in the top 6, I want to see him playing wing.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I noticed Elie's hair. Reminded me of Jordan Nolan. For all the praise about his play Lazar was -3 . Gilmour looked good. If Krueger doesn't see him in the top 6, I want to see him playing wing.
Lazar showed some speed but I agree he didnt stand out in any other way really or then putting up a -3, ouch

He's a feel good story IMO, that's it, happy guy, has speed, can drive the net with no scoring touch and a defensive game that's meh.

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
My take from last night this game is about the bubble players.The core players I wont comment on because they are trying to just get in game shape. The good..Thompson, Couzens, Gilmour, Lazeer, Joker. The bad..Sheary,Erod Girgs. I thought Thompson used his size and was engaged all night.Couzens has great speed and kept it simple was hoping to see more PP and OT with him.Lazeer showed nice speed and for checking really used his body.Gilmour is tremendously fast and jumps in well and joker showed nice creativity in offensive zone.Sheary is not a good hockey player and is going to take a spot on team from someone who should be there like Smith.I couldn't believe Krueger had him with Eichel in OT? WTF?.Anyway it will be interesting to see who plays tonight that played last night

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad