Wootlief Chat On ESPN.com Tues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
He tends to answer questions about players he likes. It will be interesting to hear what he says about Robbie Schremp, if someone asks about him.

RDriesen

May 22, 2002
Visit site
i know a few CBJ fans, myself included has sent him questions on schremp for the usa one, and i just sent one for espn's

Dr_Chimera*

Dear Kyle,

Join me for a drink at the after-draft party. I have something to show you.

Sincerely,

Robbie Schremp

butchers_dog

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
MrKnowNothing said:
:D

I knew when I mentioned the words Lauri Korpikoski I was in! :D

Kyle Woodlief: (12:25 PM ET ) I'd be stunned if he lasted beyond the top 15. Frankly, he should be selected within the first 12. You can quote me on this: there is zero chance that Lauri Korpikoski will be on the board when the Penguins pick at No. 31.

sorry Dave

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Yep. :cry:

Nice question by our own George B here, I assume. About the strength of this draft being underrated due to last year. Woodlief says, "this draft falls right in the average range."

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
MrKnowNothing said:
:D

I knew when I mentioned the words Lauri Korpikoski I was in! :D

Same here! Here's mine (of this Woodlief ass raging on me). :lol

Darren, Vancouver BC: You're very high on Finnish forward Lauri Korpikoski after his performance at the under 18 tournament. Is there cause for concern for teams picking in the mid-1st round that he really came out of nowhere? And that his only real dominating performance was playing alongside Lauri Tukonen and Petteri Nokelainen?

Kyle Woodlief: (12:55 PM ET ) Came out of nowhere? What planet have you been on? He's been in Red Line's top 25 for five months now. Everyone in the scouting community has known about him at least since the middle of the season. And by the way, it's Korpikoski who was the catalyst of that line, not Nokelainen or Tukonen. Korpikoski was the one doing it on his own without either of them at the Five Nations in Pori, Finland, back in early February. I suspect people who don't know about him only read the posers and wannabes like the folks at the hockey news, who don't employ any scouts and never set foot in junior rinks anywhere around the world, yet pretend to know something about the players they write about.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
MrKnowNothing said:
Yep. :cry:

Nice question by our own George B here, I assume. About the strength of this draft being underrated due to last year. Woodlief says, "this draft falls right in the average range."
I have been wondering about this "weak draft" rhetoric for the entire year. When I looked at the whole thing overall, I couldn't agree. Look at the entire 1st round...when you look at several mock drafts, Smid falls to 20th? You could see as many as 5 or 6 future number one goalies. I just couldn't buy into a "weak draft" scenerio.

BTW, anyone else catch the "wannabe and posers at the hockey news" shot....very unprofessional. :(

Duff88

May 7, 2002
George Bachul said:
BTW, anyone else catch the "wannabe and posers at the hockey news" shot....very unprofessional. :(

I agree, he talks like Redline would be the only serious scouting agency in the world... :banghead:

Dr_Chimera*

Woodlief shows that he has no class whatsoever.

The Hockey News is way more respected than this joker.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
George Bachul said:

It is a total joke compared to any of the real indepedant scouting publications. I buy it because it's less than $5 but I don't put much stock into at all. And the profiles don't really give you an accurate idea of how the players play.

I think he's telling it like it is. Obviously their information is 2nd hand and obviously not even remotely comparable to the ISS draft guide or the Redline draft guide.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Alfredo_Garcia said:
Woodlief shows that he has no class whatsoever.

The Hockey News is way more respected than this joker.

Respected for their draft profiles? Surely not.

It's a great publication but you really can't compare THN's draft preview to any independant scouting guide. I'm assuming you haven't bought one or that would have been obvious to you.

TVanek26*

George Bachul said:
I also just dropped in a question about Robbie Schremp. I hope he gets to it... :D

It's gonna take 10-20 minutes...I asked my question at 12:50 and didn't get answered until 1:16

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Anyone remember this Woodlief gem from last year...

Grey,Maine: What is the major difference between major junior hockey and NCAA and could the new major junior team here in Lewiston beat UMAINE if they were ever allowed to play ?

Kyle Woodlief: The major difference is that the NCAA is run by a bunch of antiquated dinosaurs and fossils whose main interest is in short-sighted and narrow-minded protectionism of their own little fief-doms.
Major Junior hockey is faster and more physical, and there's a lot more depth in quality, skilled players.
The other problem in scouting college hockey is that nowadays, most U.S. kids don't enter college until they are 20 or 21 years old and have played a couple of years in junior leagues in the U.S. (usually at the request of the college coaches who are recruiting them). Therefore, most college kids are no longer eligible for the draft. True freshmen such as Vanek, Parise, Jessiman, Stuart, Kessler, and Eaves are the exceptions today, rather than the rule. It's much more common to watch 24 and 25-year-old seniors than it is to watch an 18 year-old freshman.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Duff88 said:
I agree, he talks like Redline would be the only serious scouting agency in the world... :banghead:

Huh? He took a shot at a magazine that doesn't do any scouting. All their info is 2nd hand. It's not like he took a shot at ISS or a real independant scouting agency.

THN is not a scouting agency. That should be pretty clear to everyone based on the product which is far, far inferior to the real draft guides like McKeens, ISS, Redline.

Dr_Chimera*

Flames Draft Watcher said:
Respected for their draft profiles? Surely not.

It's a great publication but you really can't compare THN's draft preview to any independant scouting guide. I'm assuming you haven't bought one or that would have been obvious to you.

Respected for anything hockey-related.

Redline gets downright ignored at draft-time. Should be obvious to you.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Flames Draft Watcher said:
It is a total joke compared to any of the real indepedant scouting publications. I buy it because it's less than $5 but I don't put much stock into at all. And the profiles don't really give you an accurate idea of how the players play.

I think he's telling it like it is. Obviously their information is 2nd hand and obviously not even remotely comparable to the ISS draft guide or the Redline draft guide.
Professional: I suppose that the people that don't have Korpikoski ranked that high haven't spent enough time watching him play. Our scouts have had him pegged as a first rounder for some time.

Unprofessional:I suspect people who don't know about him only read the posers and wannabes like the folks at the hockey news, who don't employ any scouts and never set foot in junior rinks anywhere around the world, yet pretend to know something about the players they write about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad