Woodlief's March Report:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hab Fan

Nov 2, 2004
Kirk- NEHJ said:
Exactly.

And every year, Woodlief talks about the players who will be drafted higher and lower than where he has them ranked because the Red Line list is about preference and is in no way shape or form a projection of who will actually go where on draft day.

There are things in play that Woodlief and his scouts don't like. Johnson clearly is the top talent among D, and they don't dispute that. But, they are ranking their list of players based on where they have them. Having seen a couple of the Boston Bruins' final lists after the fact, I think a lot of you would be surprised at how some teams look at character issues when ranking potential players. It isn't always about the talent alone.

In any case- Red Line acknowledges Johnson's skill level. They just don't like some of the attitude issues. No biggie. 6th...2nd/3rd...not much of a jump and they know he'll be gone before the 6th selection. Yet, we seem to have this discussion every year, don't we? :dunno:
What attitude issues? For a fact, he had NO issues with Quinn, just ask Quinn. I did. He speaks highly of Johnson, as does Johnson of Quinn. Johnson is probably the best character guy ANT team could find, you'll see. Red Line has no real knowledge of Johnson and they prove it with their ranking. Credibility just went right out the door.

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
Hab Fan said:
What attitude issues? For a fact, he had NO issues with Quinn, just ask Quinn. I did. He speaks highly of Johnson, as does Johnson of Quinn. Johnson is probably the best character guy ANT team could find, you'll see. Red Line has no real knowledge of Johnson and they prove it with their ranking. Credibility just went right out the door.

With all due respect, I said nothing about Johnson having issues with Quinn. Somebody else did.

As for attitude issues, I've heard it from a few people that he is a selfish player. No big deal. I posted what I read in an email from a source I trust. You don't like it? Fine. You are entitled to your opinion.

But before you take me to task on something I didn't say (issues with Quinn), at least take the time to address the right person.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Kirk- NEHJ said:
With all due respect, I said nothing about Johnson having issues with Quinn. Somebody else did.

As for attitude issues, I've heard it from a few people that he is a selfish player. No big deal. I posted what I read in an email from a source I trust. You don't like it? Fine. You are entitled to your opinion.

But before you take me to task on something I didn't say (issues with Quinn), at least take the time to address the right person.

Thanks.

Not that it has anything to do with Hab Fan but I thought you were rather vague originally. You've clarified a bit but even then, I don't really know what you mean by selfish. On, off ice? And no matter how little details, just saying a little about your source too. Something as little as "someone from the organization", "an opponent", "a scout" would be a starter.

Originally, your post was interesting but way too vague. Info on Johnson in my part of the wood is non-existent, so the details are always appreciated.

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
I was vague because I have never myself seen Johnson play and rely on the word of scouts who feed me info.

Word I got from a recent game is that he showed some selfish play- sacrificing defensive responsibility to pad stats and then yammering at the teammates who didn't feed him the puck. That was from someone at the rink who saw it firsthand- just not a very good display of sportsmanship and character.

But- everyone has their own opinion. The skill is undeniable, and someone will likely take him 2nd or 3rd because chances are that he'll mature. This particular scout simply didn't care for the overt display of selfishness and attitude. If he does that on the ice, what is he going to do behind closed doors?

Anyway- not a huge deal to me. I have my sources and they are legitimate. And anyone who knows me understands that I'm not some internet jock who throws crap out there and then hides behind an anonymous handle or can't back it up. If I weren't in Iraq right now, I'd likely have much more info. on Johnson. As it stands, I have bigger fish to fry.

Hope you understand that I can go into much more specifics. Out of fairness to Johnson, I have NOT seen him play (as he did not make the WJC team as we all know). But, I would be remiss if I didn't at least offer an opinion as to why Red Line might have him 6th.

Have a nice Easter...

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Kirk- NEHJ said:
I was vague because I have never myself seen Johnson play and rely on the word of scouts who feed me info.

Word I got from a recent game is that he showed some selfish play- sacrificing defensive responsibility to pad stats and then yammering at the teammates who didn't feed him the puck. That was from someone at the rink who saw it firsthand- just not a very good display of sportsmanship and character.

But- everyone has their own opinion. The skill is undeniable, and someone will likely take him 2nd or 3rd because chances are that he'll mature. This particular scout simply didn't care for the overt display of selfishness and attitude. If he does that on the ice, what is he going to do behind closed doors?

Anyway- not a huge deal to me. I have my sources and they are legitimate. And anyone who knows me understands that I'm not some internet jock who throws crap out there and then hides behind an anonymous handle or can't back it up. If I weren't in Iraq right now, I'd likely have much more info. on Johnson. As it stands, I have bigger fish to fry.

Hope you understand that I can go into much more specifics. Out of fairness to Johnson, I have NOT seen him play (as he did not make the WJC team as we all know). But, I would be remiss if I didn't at least offer an opinion as to why Red Line might have him 6th.

Have a nice Easter...

Yes, I understand. Didn't doubt the veracity of the source, just wanted to know what it was. I'm glad you went in more details on the reported attitude issue. Zero credible info on Johnson where I am so anything helps. Thanks!

I didn't realize you were in Iraq (or maybe I forgot). I wondered why you weren't posting more often. Hope you will be very safe over there and come back soon.

Hab Fan

Nov 2, 2004
Kirk- NEHJ said:

Have a nice Easter...
Interesting comments about Johnson being selfish. I have seen this kid play a ton all the way back to Shattuck and he has NEVER EVER been called selfish. I have spoken to parents and teamates, they all love and look up to him. He has missed maybe 15 assists this year alone by NOT telling the ref who passed it, like some others. I beg you to talk to his school councellors, coaches, teamates etc and get your facts right. The ONLY way you heard such a story would be from a jealous parent, plain and simple! I dare you to go back to Shattuck, ask Stafford, Smaby, Murray, then ask Skille, Mueller, Kemp, Stoa, Lawrence to name a few. To question this kids character is an absolute joke rooted in jealousy! I can say this because I have taken the time to talk to EVERYONE I mentioned. Try talking to Mayhew, Michigan's goalie, he played with Johnson at Shattuck, you'll get the same answers. I don't care where he's drafter or rated, but I can assure you this, he is one fine quality kid. By the way, he is carrying a 3.7 gpa according to his councellor. Johnson scored against Michigan, but the USA list has someone else listed, do you think he cares? He's all about team and character. This is the same kid that I read said "if hockey doesn't work out I'd like to be a Navy Seal" I am a big fan of his and hope and pray he ends up in Montreal.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
slats432 said:
He said that the information was given to him by a scout.

True, but (no offense to Kirk) it didn't seem like the scout was going on anything more than one viewing. Every player can look selfish on occasion.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Hab Fan said:
The ONLY way you heard such a story would be from a jealous parent, plain and simple! I dare you to go back to Shattuck, ask Stafford, Smaby, Murray, then ask Skille, Mueller, Kemp, Stoa, Lawrence to name a few.

ummm...i don't really know who you are, but i know who kirk is, and his sources are as legit as they get. fact is, his information obviously comes from a professional within the NHL, and not a "jealous parent". just a suggestion- i think you need to relax a bit.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Rabid Ranger said:
True, but (no offense to Kirk) it didn't seem like the scout was going on anything more than one viewing. Every player can look selfish on occasion.
I wasn't taking a side....I was just clarifying.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Kirk- NEHJ said:

Have a nice Easter...

Hey Kirk...That was an interesting comment. I was wondering what might have caused the drop in Johnson to 6th. I am a Caps fan and our draft talk has centered around Crosby, Johnson, Brule, and Price. Johnson has been projected as our choice in many mocks. Brule has been said to be too small for NHL rigors and Crosby gets the Q and smallish questions. Price gets the inconsistent tag. There is no way for someone who does not see these guys regularly to get a feel for these guys. The Caps other major need is a first class center. I think we fill one of the 2. My guess is we go Crosby if he is there, Johnson next, then Brule. The odd part is we are likely to draft #1 or #3 but not #2. I could see us having the decision (Brule/Johnson) made for us. If we draft later than #3 we may go Price. I would like to see us go Eric Staal or Bobby Ryan before Price. We could possibly get a Levasseur or someone of that ilk with our first second rounder. The question about Johnson is the impact his size will have on his game longterm and also if he does hav e a 'tude.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
GagneOwnsYou said:
I honestly cannot understand Pouliot ahead of Ryan..
Yeh, at 170 he will get twisted like a toothpick. I think he will fade from Top 10 but not far off. I am amazed Latendresse has gotten so little love. He has played very well after coming back from an injury earlier. Can someone tell me why he is not Top 5?

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
borro said:
Hey Kirk...That was an interesting comment. I was wondering what might have caused the drop in Johnson to 6th. I am a Caps fan and our draft talk has centered around Crosby, Johnson, Brule, and Price. Johnson has been projected as our choice in many mocks. Brule has been said to be too small for NHL rigors and Crosby gets the Q and smallish questions. Price gets the inconsistent tag. There is no way for someone who does not see these guys regularly to get a feel for these guys. The Caps other major need is a first class center. I think we fill one of the 2. My guess is we go Crosby if he is there, Johnson next, then Brule. The odd part is we are likely to draft #1 or #3 but not #2. I could see us having the decision (Brule/Johnson) made for us. If we draft later than #3 we may go Price. I would like to see us go Eric Staal or Bobby Ryan before Price. We could possibly get a Levasseur or someone of that ilk with our first second rounder. The question about Johnson is the impact his size will have on his game longterm and also if he does hav e a 'tude.

Brule at 5'11 180 is not a midget like say...Marty St.Louis.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
monster_bertuzzi said:
Brule at 5'11 180 is not a midget like say...Marty St.Louis.

I'm with you on that one. He plays a "tall" 5'11. I don't think it will be an issue. You have to consider the impact a guy is going to have playing against bigger guys. The NHL is a step up. I have never seen Brule play but have heard him loosely compared to Dale Hunter. That's good enough for me. I also think Crosby's points are legit and Johnson is not an attitude problem and Price is a stud. Ryan being slow is not that much of an issue. It is a difficult decision but a critical one. I got a feeling when it is all said and done we(Caps) wind up with Brule. This does not upset me at all.

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
Rabid Ranger- The NHL scout who gave me the report has seen Johnson live at least 5 times this year, and several times more last year, thanks. He's a legitimate source who gets paid to scout players and form opinions on them.

If you don't like the opinion, that is fine. This business isn't a 100% solution by any means, otherwise Patrice Bergeron would have been picked in the first round in 2003.

Johnson could very well be the next big thing to hit the NHL on defense and never have issues. As I said- I have never seen him play, never met him or know what is inside his heart or head.

But, I resent the fact that I post a comment based on legitimate info. and it is dismissed as a jealous or petty remark by a parent, or that the scout hasn't seen Johnson play enough to know for certain.

Listen guys- I don't post garbage or hearsay. I take pride in my work and do my best to get the straight story on prospects. Unlike a lot of people on these boards, who hide behind anonymous handles and throw multitudes of rumor and hearsay out, I try to make sure I have my ducks in a row before I put something out. It doesn't mean that I am 100% right, but I'm getting the information from the people in the scouting business, not making it up as I go along. What is in it for me to dis some 18-year-old prospect, anyway?

What I am asking is for you to at least have the courtesy and respect to be a mature adult and accept what I have posted as an opinion and nothing more. Trying to minimize it or dismiss it altogether does this board a disservice, because whether you agree or not, it comes from someone who has seen Johnson play multiple times. He respects the skill, but doesn't like the attitude.

The scout I got it from's credentials are unimpeachable. If you've ever read my work, you know that I don't hide behind vage or nebulous 'sources' and that I am pretty well-connected in the scouting community. I don't say that to brag- I am merely stating the facts. I've gone to the draft each year since 2001, and I establish more and more contacts every year.

One final thing:

Debunking the attitude issue works both ways: just because some Shattuck teacher or guidance counselor said that Jack Johnson isn't selfish does not mean he isn't. This is like the player agent who told me last year that Chris Bourque is a humble kid. Now, I know Chris Bourque, and 'humble' isn't exactly the way I would characterize him. It doesn't mean he's a bad person at all, and he's looking like a very good pick for the Capitals. I have to say that he is one of the more impressive young players in the NCAA. I can see why the Bruins said they were trying to trade up to get him. However- that agent had a vested interest in telling me that Bourque is a humble kid, just as anyone associated with Johnson is going to have a vested interest in making sure that there isn't anything negative surrounding him headed into his draft year.

For whatever reason, Johnson was left OFF the U.S. WJC Team. Why is that? We may never know for sure, but it may not be a stretch to say that attitude *may* have had something to do with it.

OK- good discussion. Sure to generate controversy because over the years I've been here, people have their favorites and seem to take personal offense when anything negative is said about Player A or Player B. I don't have a thing against Johnson. By all accounts, he'll be a top-3 selection if there is a draft. But, I've not heard great things about his ego and character. Take it with a grain of salt and move on.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Good post Kirk and I'm glad you shed some light to Johnson's alleged attitude problems, you have to remember that this board is full of biased homers who will never admit anything negative about their favorite player/player of certain nationality so feel free to ignore them.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Kirk: thanks for clarifying things. I wasn't trying to imply your sources were flimsy or anything like that. I enjoy your work and trust your take on matters. I was just going by what I observed the facts to be in this thread. Johnson could very well have some attitude/maturity issues, so we'll see how that plays out.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
borro said:
I'm with you on that one. He plays a "tall" 5'11. I don't think it will be an issue. You have to consider the impact a guy is going to have playing against bigger guys. The NHL is a step up. I have never seen Brule play but have heard him loosely compared to Dale Hunter. That's good enough for me. I also think Crosby's points are legit and Johnson is not an attitude problem and Price is a stud. Ryan being slow is not that much of an issue. It is a difficult decision but a critical one. I got a feeling when it is all said and done we(Caps) wind up with Brule. This does not upset me at all.

how do you wind up with brule, anyway? the capitals aren't guaranteed anything at this point, nor should they be.

A Good Flying Bird*

Vlad The Impaler said:
What are the attitude issues you speak of? I'd be curious to know.

And are they reported exclusively by RedLine or elsewhere too? Cause if it's just them, I'm certainly not going to worry about what that bunch of clowns have to say.

I've spoken to Johnson several times.
He's as cocky as they come. He acts like a 17 year old would if he was one of the best young hockey talents in the world.
But that's what he is.
But I didn't find him arrogant or pompous. Just pretty darn sure of himself. And still humble in a weird kind of way.
I don't see any attitude or character issues.
What I have notices is that his physical game has been non=existent since being rejected from the WJCs.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Newsguyone said:
I've spoken to Johnson several times.
He's as cocky as they come. He acts like a 17 year old would if he was one of the best young hockey talents in the world.
But that's what he is.
But I didn't find him arrogant or pompous. Just pretty darn sure of himself. And still humble in a weird kind of way.
I don't see any attitude or character issues.
What I have notices is that his physical game has been non=existent since being rejected from the WJCs.

I wonder if he's trying to tone it down a bit? I think "enthusiastic" approach was a concern of U.S. braintrust when he was under consideration for the WJC team.

VINMONTY

Mar 13, 2002
Visit site
Quick - Avon goalie

Rising:
Jonathan Quick: This athletic, agile goalie backstopped Avon to its second straight New England prep championship in impressive fashion — we haven't been giving him enough credit.

It is really nice to see Quick get recognition. He played great for Avon and had 9 shutouts. He only lost 3 games in two seasons at Avon. He did have a great team in front of him, but he is a really good goalie. He will be attending UMass Amherst next year. I only wish he played against better competition...then he could have a Cory Schneider like recognition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad