Confirmed with Link: Wood Signs 4 Year Extension, 2.75M AAV

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Gonna need to raise some cash fast

For Sale...Gently used scoreboard...local pickup only
Only (1) year on panels, warranty transferable
Mounting hardware included
Tested works 100% (lineup occasionally glitches out, will email instructions how to reset)

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
So... gif party?
:thumbu:

giphy.gif

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I think deals like this are bad for hockey. Makes you wonder WTH the 2012-2013 NHL lockout was for if young guys with a resume at thin as Wood gets this juicy a contract. At this rate, there'll be a strike again in 2024-2025. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
I look at it the opposite way. You know how baseball is likely going for some kind of work stoppage because of the issue of young players being forced to stay with their team until they’re past their prime? It’s the exact same thing at play here. It’s why Wood held out for so long and why Theodore is still holding out. But nobody’s talking about that in the next CBA talks, they’re talking about dumb legalese crap and the Olympics.

Reactions: Oneiro

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I think deals like this are bad for hockey. Makes you wonder WTH the 2012-2013 NHL lockout was for if young guys with a resume at thin as Wood gets this juicy a contract. At this rate, there'll be a strike again in 2024-2025. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

I would hardly call this a juicy contract, by NHL standards.

Reactions: Camille the Eel

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I look at it the opposite way. You know how baseball is likely going for some kind of work stoppage because of the issue of young players being forced to stay with their team until they’re past their prime? It’s the exact same thing at play here. It’s why Wood held out for so long and why Theodore is still holding out. But nobody’s talking about that in the next CBA talks, they’re talking about dumb legalese crap and the Olympics.

I expect the players to try to force either earlier UFA or earlier arbitration in the upcoming CBA “negotiation”. Their argument will be that there is a hard cap so what is the difference of when a player hits UFA. The amount paid to the players remains certain so who cares how it is individually distributed. The question to me is whether the small markets will stand firm on that issue since the big markets are happy to play the LTIR retirement game to create cap space as their stars age.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
When was the last time to date that we actually had someone hold out into the season? Niedermayer and Arnott in 2000? It seems like it doesn't happen all that much anymore. Jacob Trouba did it a couple years ago.

Reactions: glenwo2

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
It's exactly like baseball. Players, more likely agents, have been paying attention on July 1st.

Teams aren't paying for past performance at age 27-30 anymore. We're in for a lot of fun with the next CBA because this is a favorable situation for management (a player with insignificant body of work but trending up) where I can't really see a reasonable solution short of getting a player to UFA earlier. And that sucks for the hometown fans because Tavares/Parise situations will happen more and more.

Maybe the original club gets 2 extra years on any contract extension, as opposed to 1?

Camille the Eel

It's exactly like baseball. Players, more likely agents, have been paying attention on July 1st.

Teams aren't paying for past performance at age 27-30 anymore. We're in for a lot of fun with the next CBA because this is a favorable situation for management (a player with insignificant body of work but trending up) where I can't really see a reasonable solution short of getting a player to UFA earlier. And that sucks for the hometown fans because Tavares/Parise situations will happen more and more.

Maybe the original club gets 2 extra years on any contract extension, as opposed to 1?
Or even 3. You need something to give a leg up to small market clubs in places like Columbus, Ohio, for example, competing to try to keep someone like Panarin. The situation where all the top guys want to play in a few attractive to them places, like Tampa, L.A., N.Y., Toronto, Chicago etc. is having a really negative impact on parity.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

They're absolutely not bad for hockey, and there will not be any strike. There will always be lockouts because the owners make more money by locking the players out and demanding concessions than they do operating for the first 3 months of the year.

The salary cap is $80M, which means if you put together a roster of 23 guys with $2M in cap space, their average salary would be $3.39M. Miles Wood has a below-average cap hit for the next 4 years. If he gets any better, this deal is a win for NJ - if he gets much better, it's a huge win, and Wood has no real way of earning that 'lost' money back.

Reactions: Verdoux

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->