Goalies: Wood or Composite Goalie Sticks?

ganave

Mar 11, 2012
So I'm a bit of an idiot and left my two wooden sherwoods 5030s (http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=53GS) at the rink. When I went back for them they were gone and no one saw anything.

Since I need a new stick or two, what are thoughts on wood vs composites for goalies? I've read some of the pro/cons on GSBB. Neither of my sticks broke. The composite seems to be about %20 lighter, but are they as sturdy as a wooden stick?

Also aside from Sherwood, what are some other inexpensive noob goalie sticks out there that I might want to look at?

HockeyStickHomicide

Registered Abuser
Mar 2, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Got a sherwood t75 and its been bomb proof. (composite)
Getting a bauer one80 from goalie monkey in a few days. Heard those are super sturdy.

Composites for me. Started using one and have not looked back...and the ones I listed are bottom of the composite lineup, can only imagine how nice the top shelf ones are.

Hank4Hart

Apr 10, 2007
WOOD!!!!!!

I used a composite and I hated it...

Wood is sturdier and has gives you that proper feel with the puck. I can't quite describe it but with a composite stick it just feels weird.

I have Reebok 6K pro returns, Sherwood 9950s, and Bauer 4500s at home, all wood sticks :)

17of26

Sep 9, 2008
I started with a wooden stick and then bought a composite and I don't really have a preference between the two. For blocking shots, they feel slightly different but not enough for me to care. I don't play the puck much though - I'm a right handed shot when I play out, so shooting lefty as a goalie is very difficult for me.

I think the biggest issue for me would be weight. Sherwood makes an aspen core stick that feels more like wood but is lighter than a lot of lower end composites: http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=S99G

Last edited:

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
I had a Bauer x:40 composite and I loved it, but every other stick I've used was wooden and I didn't really feel the difference. I know a lot of guys who use the Reebok Euro, which I have as my spare, it's a nice wood stick that is cheap and light.

flyersguy33*

WOOD!!!!!!

I used a composite and I hated it...

Wood is sturdier and has gives you that proper feel with the puck. I can't quite describe it but with a composite stick it just feels weird.

I have Reebok 6K pro returns, Sherwood 9950s, and Bauer 4500s at home, all wood sticks :)

where do you get your Reebok 6K pro returns? I had a Luongo one and it broke a while back. I was getting free stick from a friend, one of which was an X60, but after 2 years that is about to break. I want to find more Luongo pro returns

Hank4Hart

Apr 10, 2007
where do you get your Reebok 6K pro returns? I had a Luongo one and it broke a while back. I was getting free stick from a friend, one of which was an X60, but after 2 years that is about to break. I want to find more Luongo pro returns

ask these guys to ship it to you
http://winnipeg.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and...go-Reebok-Pro-Goalie-Stick-W0QQAdIdZ425276559

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-...ise-hockey-3-Goalie-Sticks-W0QQAdIdZ393773895
the vokoun 9950s are nice there..... sick deal at 80 for 3 new pro return sticks

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Composites definitely have a different feel than wood sticks, but once you get used to it, it becomes second nature. I'll never go back to wood sticks

connor35

May 10, 2006
I like my foam cores, even though it's annoying how easily they chip.

Makes it looks like I make a lot of saves though, because it doesn't take them long to look beat up!

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
only problems I've ever had with composites is the paddles breaking down along the outer edges. Ive also had a few flukey breaks but those were more just bad luck with the stick.

My current go-to favourite is the Warrior Wave I've got two of them now and both are still in good shape and the best stick I've used to make nice passes. Some goal sticks I find incredibly difficult to get any velocity behind a breakout pass but these are great. (In my opinion mostly any stick is going to do the same as far as making saves so being able to fire a good pass is what I usually look for)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad