Women's Hockey Skates - Sizing

dbbourn

Aug 22, 2005
New Jersey
I am looking to get my girlfriend some skates for the holidays, but have no idea what size she would be. Her foot is a size 7 in Women's, which I believe is equivalent to a size 5 Mens. I wear my skates tight and go about 2 sizes smaller than my foot, but for her I would probably only go 1.5 sizes small, which would be equivalent to a Men's 3.5 Skate size. Do they even make a Men's 3.5 Skate? Would I have to go to Jr. sizes? and if so, what Jr. Size would be the equivalent of a Women's shoe size 7?

dbbourn

Aug 22, 2005
New Jersey
This may sound like a dumb question but:

Do Jr sizes just continue down from Adult sizes, meaning that anything below 6 would be Jr sizes? or are the sizes not related to the same scale?

If this is correct you go down 3 sizes from your sneaker size?

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
This may sound like a dumb question but:

Do Jr sizes just continue down from Adult sizes, meaning that anything below 6 would be Jr sizes? or are the sizes not related to the same scale?

If this is correct you go down 3 sizes from your sneaker size?

They just continue down. 6 Sr and then 5.5 Jr skate.

Yes, I go down about 3 sizes give or take the style of boot. But I'm kind of the exception. Most of my teammates go down 1-2 sizes at the most.

RedK

Dec 2, 2002
Visit site
DB - that's a really nice thought, but you may want to give her an "IOU" to take her out to buy her the skates, where she can try them on. That way she gets a nice present that fits AND a date, which makes you a double-hero. It would be awful to buy skates that might not fit, only to find out you couldn't return them.

dbbourn

Aug 22, 2005
New Jersey
DB - that's a really nice thought, but you may want to give her an "IOU" to take her out to buy her the skates, where she can try them on. That way she gets a nice present that fits AND a date, which makes you a double-hero. It would be awful to buy skates that might not fit, only to find out you couldn't return them.

I know, I've been thinking the same thing, but I always hated not giving an "actual" gift. She really just wants used skates for a few bucks, and nothing special. I am willing to risk getting the wrong size just to surprise her with her own skates. (not spending much more than $30)

The rink near us allows has a prepaid skating card, which I will include as part of the gift.... so there are numerous dates on the horizon.

Thank you for your help Ti-Girl & RedK!

frito

Jan 27, 2007
Cincinnati
This is likely more than you want to spend but Mission makes a female specifc skate. My daughter got to the point that boys skates just didn't fit her right so we got her the Mission Fuel AG and she loves it. The nice thing about Mission also is that the sizing is comparable to shoe sizing, none of this go down 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 size stuff. You can check it out at Hockey Giant and EPuck are the only places I'm seeing it now. I hope the stores aren't going to stop carrying them. They used to be all over.

Oilerfan120582

Jul 9, 2005
Also, skates come in different widths and certain brands may fit better or worse depending on the shape of her foot. I just bought new skates and found that each brand fit a bit differently even if they were the right size. For example, in my case CCM skates fit very comfortably, while the shape of Easton skates just did not suit my feet at all.

LilWinger11

Aug 27, 2006
Connecticut
If it helps, I wear a 6 or 6 1/2 womens shoe and a 4 1/2 Jr. skate, at least in Bauer.

When you get the skates, ask about the return policy. I know that a lot of the places where I live will let you return skates, especially around the holidays, as long as they haven't been sharpened yet. Nothing is worse than having a skate that's too big/wide and having your foot move around so that you can't quite get your balance and you end up with major blisters- unless it's having a skate that's too small/narrow and hurts to stand up in. Obviously they'll have to be sharpened before your gf tries to skate in them, but at least if you wait you may be able to return them.

Phoenix

Mar 26, 2006
unless its an easy fit shoe like a sneaker, I'd get her to try them on. The differences between different brands alone could be a pain. I varied by a size between Bauers, Easton and Grafs. Also the width varied too much.

dbbourn

Aug 22, 2005
New Jersey
update

I picked up some CCM Vector 4.0's on ebay for $20... Brand New Size 4D. If they don't fit, big deal, it was only 20 bucks and I'm sure I can find some kid to fit in them.

I am familiar with how CCM skates fit, which is why I chose them. Her shoe size is actually a 7-7.5 womens, equivalent to 5.5 mens - 1.5 = 4. I hope lilwinger likes her skates loose. I actually go down 2 sizes for mine. 10.5 shoe-->8.5 skate.

Thanks again for everybody's help. If I remember I will give an update when she tries them on.

Hockeymom67

Aug 24, 2004
Montreal
You would have to go juniors.

And it all depends on her foot. I wear a size 8 men's shoe....and a size 5 Junior skate.

My skates are junior size 5.5 and I usually wear a women's size 7-71/2 depending on the shoe

Excellent ! Lucky You !

Last edited:

Lukko4

May 15, 2002
Montreal, QC
I am looking to get my girlfriend some skates for the holidays, but have no idea what size she would be. Her foot is a size 7 in Women's, which I believe is equivalent to a size 5 Mens. I wear my skates tight and go about 2 sizes smaller than my foot, but for her I would probably only go 1.5 sizes small, which would be equivalent to a Men's 3.5 Skate size. Do they even make a Men's 3.5 Skate? Would I have to go to Jr. sizes? and if so, what Jr. Size would be the equivalent of a Women's shoe size 7?

My girl wears a 7 shoe and I just got her size 4 in Mission and its a perfect fit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->