OT: Women's hockey might be coming to Chicago via the PHF (Premier Hockey Federation)

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Are there still two competing leagues? If so it seems unlikely either league will actually be success until they finally realize there is no market for two fledgling woman's hockey leagues. Only chance of success is for 1 league

As for this good luck but WNBA is barely a blip after decades so dont expect much for a woman's hockey league

And what would be possible home?

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I'm all for extra sports options, and frankly view any supposedly major pro league that doesn't have a Chicago team as an obvious second-rate organization (looking at you, spring football leagues and major league cricket). Hope it happens and that they find success here.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Hell yeah. Will go to games for sure

Meh.

Just to give you an idea of how big the gap is between men and women, the "Chicago North Stars" women's team, that was trying to go "pro" in women's hockey, was playing in the C2 league at Johnny's IceHouse. And getting their ass kicked regularly. There are FIVE beer league levels higher than this at Johnny's.

Hard pass.

The only entertaining women's hockey is Canada vs. USA at the Olympic level. Just not enough talent, otherwise. It's really bad beer league hockey. God Bless them for trying to get a league going, but I know female players who won't even watch it.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Meh.

Just to give you an idea of how big the gap is between men and women, the "Chicago North Stars" women's team, that was trying to go "pro" in women's hockey, was playing in the C2 league at Johnny's IceHouse. And getting their ass kicked regularly. There are FIVE beer league levels higher than this at Johnny's.

Hard pass.

The only entertaining women's hockey is Canada vs. USA at the Olympic level. Just not enough talent, otherwise. It's really bad beer league hockey. God Bless them for trying to get a league going, but I know female players who won't even watch it.
This is the truth of it but man is it really easy to just not say anything.

Reactions: Malaka

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
This is the truth of it but man is it really easy to just not say anything.

They just need to start smaller and pump the brakes. Make four teams in North America and start with that. It would be fairly entertaining hockey, and you could realistically field 4 competitive teams. Then, hope to build from there as the female player base grows. The talent pool just isn't large enough for more than that. Six teams is going to dilute the overall quality of the games so much.

I'm actually a huge women's hockey fan, and watch most of the Canada/USA games. I would like them to be successful, but they need to be realistic with their initial goals. People just aren't going to pay to see C level, no-check hockey, when they can go to Johnny's and watch 4 faster, more competitive hockey games on any given night for free. Or pay a few bucks to watch some nasty junior hockey.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
They just need to start smaller and pump the brakes. Make four teams in North America and start with that. It would be fairly entertaining hockey, and you could realistically field 4 competitive teams. Then, hope to build from there as the female player base grows. The talent pool just isn't large enough for more than that. Six teams is going to dilute the overall quality of the games so much.

I'm actually a huge women's hockey fan, and watch most of the Canada/USA games. I would like them to be successful, but they need to be realistic with their initial goals. People just aren't going to pay to see C level, no-check hockey, when they can go to Johnny's and watch 4 faster, more competitive hockey games on any given night for free. Or pay a few bucks to watch some nasty junior hockey.
It did start with four eight years ago and a team salary cap of 150k. They're at seven teams with a salary cap of 1.5 million.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
It did start with four eight years ago and a team salary cap of 150k. They're at seven teams with a salary cap of 1.5 million.

Yeah, I forgot that this is just the NWHL under a different name now. To my point, expanding this to nine teams just seems bonkers to me... There's straight up just not enough talent for it to be entertaining hockey. And at some point the money is going to dry up, because they don't draw any fans. Which goes back to it not being entertaining, because of the diluted talent.

But hey, as long as women can get paid to play hockey, and someone is willing to foot the bill, I'm all for it.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Yeah, I forgot that this is just the NWHL under a different name now. To my point, expanding this to nine teams just seems bonkers to me... There's straight up just not enough talent for it to be entertaining hockey. And at some point the money is going to dry up, because they don't draw any fans. Which goes back to it not being entertaining, because of the diluted talent.

But hey, as long as women can get paid to play hockey, and someone is willing to foot the bill, I'm all for it.
I don't disagree. Again, really easy to not say anything.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Women's hockey will never be as competitive as mens. From an entertainment perspective, I think there is some real potential. There are a ton of fans that go to the Chicago Sky games (women's WNBA team). I think if they can make it more exciting by adding some sick goal horns and getting the fans involved, they could thrive.

Unfortunately, I don't think these ladies will get paid very much due to the demand for Women's sports.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
It’s boring, no one would watch on TV, and to go there maybe if the tickets are $2 or something just go for the sake of going and talk to friends or something, def not for the game itself.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
It’s boring, no one would watch on TV, and to go there maybe if the tickets are $2 or something just go for the sake of going and talk to friends or something, def not for the game itself.

Compared to women's basketball, women's hockey is far from boring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad