Olympics: Women tournament

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Have more women go out and support female athletes and their sports. There's your financial support. Unfortunately as I said most women aren't interested in sports whether its men or women, so while men have no issues supporting male athletes, women athletes are screwed because other women don't do the same. Sucks for women but what can you do?

See, I think this is the big elephant in the room. A lot of women are interested in sports, just not when women are playing. People want to see the best of the best, not a watered down version. The bigger the divide between men and women in a particular sport the more stark this is.

Reactions: Buck Nasty

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
See, I think this is the big elephant in the room. A lot of women are interested in sports, just not when women are playing. People want to see the best of the best, not a watered down version. The bigger the divide between men and women in a particular sport the more stark this is.

Alot of women are interested in sports, but the majority aren't and the ones that are usually are largely casual fans who probably like being part of the crowd and cheering for their local teams and join in the excitement and fun.

There are a number of men who are probably the same, but there are also plenty who follow teams closely and hangout at sites like HFboards and other places to talk about every player on their team, whether they're contributing enough to be worth what they're paid, how they can improve their team etc. I see far more men be this passionate about the teams they follow than I ever see women do so.

So yes many women like to watch sports, but even among those the majority are probably casual fans that can barely name anyone other than the stars on the team and probably don't care much beyond cheering when their team scores.

Edit: I was just watching that CTV show The Social where you have several women discussing entertainment and current events. They were just talking about how great it was for the Canadian women winning gold in hockey and of course it led to the next topic of why women's sports aren't supported more and how unfair it is and so on.

While watching this, I wondered how many of these 4 women who are so keen to see women's sports succeed, how many of them watched female sports regularly or attended any female sporting events live let alone sports in general? I'm betting probably all of them barely cared about sports at anything but the most casual level which is what I was saying before. Most women are probably like them when it comes to their interest in sports whether male or female. There's no way women's sports can succeed when most women are probably like the women on that show.

Last edited:

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
This has to be one of the worst take ever on these boards.

Poulin is perhaps the greatest female hockey player ever and certainly the most clutch. 7 goals in 4 OG finals is crazy.

her achievements put her top 10 players, period. Did Espo or Hull or Lafleur have better careers? I wouldn't say so.

MPP ROCKS!!!

joelef

Nov 22, 2011
Alot of women are interested in sports, but the majority aren't and the ones that are usually are largely casual fans who probably like being part of the crowd and cheering for their local teams and join in the excitement and fun.

There are a number of men who are probably the same, but there are also plenty who follow teams closely and hangout at sites like HFboards and other places to talk about every player on their team, whether they're contributing enough to be worth what they're paid, how they can improve their team etc. I see far more men be this passionate about the teams they follow than I ever see women do so.

So yes many women like to watch sports, but even among those the majority are probably casual fans that can barely name anyone other than the stars on the team and probably don't care much beyond cheering when their team scores.

Edit: I was just watching that CTV show The Social where you have several women discussing entertainment and current events. They were just talking about how great it was for the Canadian women winning gold in hockey and of course it led to the next topic of why women's sports aren't supported more and how unfair it is and so on.

While watching this, I wondered how many of these 4 women who are so keen to see women's sports succeed, how many of them watched female sports regularly or attended any female sporting events live let alone sports in general? I'm betting probably all of them barely cared about sports at anything but the most casual level which is what I was saying before. Most women are probably like them when it comes to their interest in sports whether male or female. There's no way women's sports can succeed when most women are probably like the women on that show.
Malloy of it just an ego trip and a chance to virtue single for women. For example I had a female co worker who was a big Vikings fanatic and Sarcastically mention To her that being a Minnesota Sport fan Can be downright abusive . She went on how the lynx won and showed up the men so I asked if she ever went to or watch a lynx game and she said no

Last edited:

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Why on the highlights did they keep saying great save when the puck hit the post?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I think it's getting close to becoming a three-way tournament, with Finland closing the gap.

Which is a good thing.

Reactions: JMCx4

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Monthly Curling Update :

Team Jones, who represented (disappointed) Canada at the Olympics, is breaking up...

Lead Dawn McEwen is retiring. Let's hope Jones does the same.

If they can find a quality lead, Lisa Weagle (2nd), Jocelyn Peterman (3rd), Kaitlyn Lawes (skip) would be awesome together - let's call it Team Lawes.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Monthly Curling Update :

Team Jones, who represented (disappointed) Canada at the Olympics, is breaking up...

Lead Dawn McEwen is retiring. Let's hope Jones does the same.

If they can find a quality lead, Lisa Weagle (2nd), Jocelyn Peterman (3rd), Kaitlyn Lawes (skip) would be awesome together - let's call it Team Lawes.

Just want to say that I enjoy your curling updates!!!

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I get it. My wife never reads these forums so I can get away with this one. It's just begging for it "women are better sweepers"
:)

I remember the old days when all female curlers looked like Joy Behar. Now... not so much. Between the yoga pants and the excitement of the matches, I LOVE and support women's curling.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Daily Curling Update :
===============

Canada back in the win column and is now 2-1.

The Swedish Cyborg is playing well - as usual.

U.S. took one from Italy in an extra end.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Daily Curling Update :
===============

Awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome team...

Good luck, Team Lawes - I will be rooting for you!

Last edited:

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Good news is the U-18's are finally happening again as it's been cancelled since 2019. June 6th for the top division and April 3rd for Div I A

Bad news (for me personally) is that I wanted to watch Japan against the top division. Japan is just going to win the lower division by a ridiculous margin again like they did in 2018. I'm going to guess the tournament ends with 25 goals for and 1 goal against if Japan sends their top U-18 players.

With Russia being banned and Japan winning the U-16 in 2020, they should honestly just bump Japan up. The only reason they're still down a division is because of covid cancellations.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Daily Curling Update :
===============

Awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome team...

Good luck, Team Lawes - I will be rooting for you!

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Japan U-18 beat France 3-0. The shots were 41 - 12 in favor of Japan.
Japan U-18 beat Italy 3-0. The shots were 58 - 11 in favor of Japan.
Japan U-18 beat Norway 13-0. The shots were 53 - 10 in favor of Japan.
Japan U-18 beat Hungary 7-0. The shots were 44 - 9 in favor of Japan.

The first two games were lucky to only be 3-0. Japan finally found its scoring touch against Norway. I was close on my 25-1 prediction as it ends up being 26-0.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad