Women in the HHOF

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
There's a site with a petition looking to get a woman put in the Hockey Hall of Fame. They're looking at having Angela James, Geraldine Heaney, and Cammi Granato voted in. Is hockey ready for this yet?

www.girlsinthehall.com

Last edited:

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
With the loose standards of the HHOF lately I wouldnt be surprised if they pulled something like that

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
How is it the HHOF recognizes architechts of the game and those who have made outstanding contributions to hockey, and yet none of them are women, even though 100,000 women in Canada play hockey?

If it was the NHL hockey hall of fame I could understand, but it's not. It's not about the fact that the best women's team in history couldn't beat the worst NHL team in the league either. The purpose of the hall should to be recognize achievment and contribution to the game of hockey, and people like Geraldine Heaney et. all have done more in that respect than a lot of guys in that hall.

razman22

Mar 24, 2006
They should have their own. WHHOF...

I agree. While it isn't called the NHL Hall of Fame, it basically is. There's nothing wrong with that either. It recognizes acheivements that almost every player attained in the NHL. Most of the events the women garner attention for are international tournaments. Let the IIHF Hall of Fame and the Olympic Hall of Fame cover that.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
If the hof is basically the NHL hof, I don't care a whole lot either way, but itseems they like to waffle about their definition at times. You recognize some Europeans but not others, it seems politically motivated but I don't know enough or care enough to lose any sleep on it.

If women are to be included, and I think we suspect they will soon enough, who's the first to go in ? The 1st wave of women stars would have to be regonized 1st, I'd think, so Angela James, France St. Louis ?

I remember my friend's grand father showing me newspaper clippings from the Montreal gazette, highlighting his sisters' accomplishments in hockey. These stories were probably pre WW2, so I guess women's hockey has been around for generations though I doubt anyone cares enough to look at pioneers from that era.Kind of a Canadian League of Their Own.

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
Yes, women will eventually be inducted into the HOF. i suspect it'll be in a seperate section though, probably not as Honoured Members.

I'd like to see teams being inducted, without individual players being made members.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Yes, women will eventually be inducted into the HOF. i suspect it'll be in a seperate section though, probably not as Honoured Members.

I'd like to see teams being inducted, without individual players being made members.

If the sport grows like it did for girls soccer in America did after the 1999 Women's World Cup (Soccer) then I think you could see women in the HHOF, perhaps as builders.

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
If the sport grows like it did for girls soccer in America did after the 1999 Women's World Cup (Soccer) then I think you could see women in the HHOF, perhaps as builders.
I think inducting great players as builders is a cop out though. Either they're there for their ability to play hockey, or for their work in increasing the games popularity. It'd be like inducting Gretzky as a builder rather than a player.

I wouldn't be suprised if it happened though.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
They'll probably get in as builders, when they do. There's no way there won't be women in the HHOF within 10-20 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad