women in hockey

Discussion in 'The Rink' started by puckstopper101, Dec 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. puckstopper101

puckstopper101 Registered User

i was just wondering if there r any women out there that play hockey that r from untraditional hockey places

2. what do you mean by untraditional?

3. It Kills Me

It Kills Me Registered User

florida, you know, somewhere outside canada.

4. Keetz

Keetz Registered User

Yeah here in L.A. there are a handfull of Women in our beer leagues. most of them started on roller then crossed over to ice. :handclap: I'm almost as good as some of them. ;)

5. Nontraditional also depends on when you were born... when I was growing up outside of Boston, there weren't many girls' hockey teams. I wasn't allowed on the boys team at the public school so I had to go to a boarding school to get on a girls' team. What's sad is that I graduated HS in 1998, not 1952. There are tons of teams out here now.

6. puckstopper101

a place that doesn't receive much snow...somewhere besides michigan, minnesota, canada, massachusetts lol

7. puckstopper101

sounds like a lot of the girls on my team

8. Now that I've looked at an old HS roster, I know tons of girls that played and came from non-traditional places. Many started as ice dancers or figure skaters but made the switch to hockey when they realized they weren't going to make it to the olympics.

One of my current hockey teams will be going to a tournament that's held in Hawaii every year. Supposedly there's good local competition.

9. Kamenski

Kamenski Registered User

Sounds like me and the teams I play on. I play in a couple beer leagues in Northern Colorado. There are several women on the twelve teams. In addition, I practice with a woman's team once a week. Better than half of the women are as good or better than me.

Last winter I played against a woman who was awesome . . . better than most of the men in the leagues. During one of the games I told her that if she ever decided she was interested in middle-aged, balding, fat men, to let me know. She was laughing so hard she almost missed the face-off.

10. Accord

Accord Registered User

Our goalie on my beer league team is a woman, she's got a 4 game shutout streak going.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.