Women’s street skateboarding

Pink Mist

RIP MM*
Jan 11, 2009
Toronto
Am I the only one who came out unimpressed by the product. It feels like a couple of guys from my former highschool could have competed

Yeah I agree, the men and women's street was a little underwhelming. It's basically what I see locals do during my lunch break downtown - though obviously they land a lot more tricks. The park event though should be a lot more interesting, I think.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Yeah I agree, the men and women's street was a little underwhelming. It's basically what I see locals do during my lunch break downtown - though obviously they land a lot more tricks. The park event though should be a lot more interesting, I think.

The men were a lot more pragmatic. They'd only try and get creative for fun when they were out of it, like Shane O'Neill trying to Lazer Flip a stairset. Or that one Belgian dude pulling a FS flip over a rail. Guys in the running were just getting repetitive on the massive handrail.

Reactions: Pink Mist

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Also, I don't know how many skateboarders are here, but the men were often using different stances (Nollie, Switch) to pull off tricks, which is much harder than just skating in your regular stance. The women, for example, have all strictly skated in their regular stance as far as I know.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Am I the only one who came out unimpressed by the product. It feels like a couple of guys from my former highschool could have competed

I missed the first hour and a half because I was out skateboarding (lol) but the Japanese girls are definitely at a level that the average street skater is not at. Hitting bigspins front boards down handrails is massive.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Also goes to show the level of competition
Some sports favor the flexibility of the young... skateboarding has always been a sport where the very young can make an impact. Hell, didn't a 12yro just make skateboarding competition history in the X games recently in the halfpipe vert event, first ever to land a 1040 in competition to win gold?

Tony Hawk took the skateboarding world by storm when he was only 14. It wasn't because of a lack of competition either.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Some sports favor the flexibility of the young... skateboarding has always been a sport where the very young can make an impact. Hell, didn't a 12yro just make skateboarding competition history in the X games recently in the halfpipe vert event, first ever to land a 1040 in competition to win gold?

Tony Hawk took the skateboarding world by storm when he was only 14. It wasn't because of a lack of competition either.

Exactly. Seeing a kid killing it in skateboarding is as old as skateboarding itself.

Reactions: TaLoN

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
I get what you say. Although seeing Alana Smith perform last night made me cringe. Pierre de Courbertin must be crying in his grave seeing the lack of drive and desire to win this competition provided

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I get what you say. Although seeing Alana Smith perform last night made me cringe. Pierre de Courbertin must be crying in his grave seeing the lack of drive and desire to win this competition provided

I get that she qualified but there was a gulf between her and the rest of the competitors. She pretty much just cruised on one of her runs. And ollieing an 8 stair-set seems like a weak move for an Olympic event. But I would have dug it if she'd been able to kickflip over from the ramp, over the rail and unto the kicker. That was a sweet move she was attempting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad