Value of: Wolverine er....Shea Weber at 50% to NSH

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
His career is over... er.....5-6 weeks... er...a week. Greg Wyshynski joked it was like Wolverine but when I was working as an athletic trainer, I had the same thing happen to an athlete. She heard a loud snap, felt like she broke a bone, was scar tissue breaking up near a nerve. Painful.

ANYWAY.

I'll be honest with you. I think Shea Weber would be the best fit for some of the minor needs that the Preds have. What would the cost be of Weber at 50%?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
The answer can only be that Montreal has to hold onto him... there's no way we are paying what it would take to re-acquire him. Forget about it. He's too good AND too much of an injury risk at the same time. We don't have enough spare assets to pay the required price and then survive the fallout if it turns out he's not able to stay healthy. Our cap has tightened up too much, and our cupboards are still too bare. As much as we might be tempted by sentimentality, we need to steer clear of this risk.

Reactions: Yoshidas Island

Yoshidas Island

TY for the memories Yosh :'(
Jan 2, 2015
The answer can only be that Montreal has to hold onto him... there's no way we are paying what it would take to re-acquire him. Forget about it. He's too good AND too much of an injury risk at the same time. We don't have enough spare assets to pay the required price and then survive the fallout if it turns out he's not able to stay healthy. Our cap has tightened up too much, and our cupboards are still too bare. As much as we might be tempted by sentimentality, we need to steer clear of this risk.
Pretty much sums up any trade involving Weber

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Cost would cripple Nashville...at least it should, considering they'd avoid the cap-recapture penalty and be adding a top-pairing D-man (with term). Fabbro, Tomasino, Tolvanen & 1st
See BFC? I wouldn't give up any one of those 4 assets, let alone that kind of package. But it's not that I'd blame the Habs for asking. We just have to let Shea go.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
I doubt Nashville is worried about cap recapture in regards to Weber. I can’t imagine the league would try to pin it on them when everyone else has skirted recapture and Nashville were not even the ones to sign him to the contract. It was the league’s own stupid rules that allowed Philly to sign Weber to that poison pill contract

LeonDraisaitl

Jan 5, 2015
Saskatchewan
I doubt Nashville is worried about cap recapture in regards to Weber. I can’t imagine the league would try to pin it on them when everyone else has skirted recapture and Nashville were not even the ones to sign him to the contract. It was the league’s own stupid rules that allowed Philly to sign Weber to that poison pill contract
Isn’t the league holding Vancouver accountable inregards to Lou?

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Really? Everyone else has skirted recapture? Do Florida, Vancouver, L.A. And NJ know that?

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
why would the recapture go away if he's traded to Nashville? You can't force a player onto LTIR, and Weber isn't the type to retire if he can still play, besides, he's not giving up money just to spite Nashville.

If Weber can play, he will, or he'll go on LTIR because he can no longer play.

But all of this is on Weber and his doctors, not Montreal or Nashville.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Why would Montreal want to pay him? Why would Montreal help Nashville out?

That is petty, unbusiness like, and at that point 'tit for tat' occurs. You may not believe it but GMs follow rules, unwritten ones. If I'm a GM for Nashville and Montreal does that I'm complaining to the commish. Saying 'We didn't form the contract! We had our hands tied by Philly! It was an offer sheet!' It would be similar to a 'constitutional crisis' with the CBA. If complaining to the NHL central office does not work and the Preds have to chuck salary, I'm sending as much as I can... ALL to Atlantic rivals.

"Say! Boston! You need a Defenseman? Tampa Bay! I have a forward that would be perfect for hurting Montreal, I mean, filling out your lineup.' and so on. and so on.

[MOD]

You see, the above actions would cost the NHL in valuation, money one team falls, the league falls. ALL teams would lose valuation. The teams are in league with each other. Nashville sucks for a couple of years till FA money is spent and draft picks move up the system. The Atlantic become hell for the Habs and they never will get a sniff of the playoffs with Quebec's tax structure and every other team in the Atlantic strong. Nashville is hurt for 3 years maybe 5, Montreal, a half decade or more? It would be Mutually Assured Destruction in hockey. Who else is hurt? The metro. So many Atlantic clubs hogging the WC spots.

That's petty and Bettman has been weeding that out for his entire tenure. The NHL boys club used to be child-like. Fist fights in board rooms, gambling, other child like crap. For the Habs, to do that would be a loss of it's carefully crafted image of class. EVERY GM learns they can't do business with Montreal. EVERY player learns that the Habs will not fulfill their contracts, their promises.

The only winners would be lawyers. But that is me rambling using my college classes in business law, sports law, sports medicine, ETC.

Now, back to the question at hand. What is the value of Shea Weber at 50%?

Last edited by a moderator:

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Cost would cripple Nashville...at least it should, considering they'd avoid the cap-recapture penalty and be adding a top-pairing D-man (with term). Fabbro, Tomasino, Tolvanen & 1st

Lol, no that's dog ****. I would trade a conditional 7th round pick or future considerations six years from now, if Montreal wants anything more they can take a hike.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019

Canucks just got hit with it for Luongo lol

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
That is petty, unbusiness like, and at that point 'tit for tat' occurs. You may not believe it but GMs follow rules, unwritten ones. If I'm a GM for Nashville and Montreal does that I'm complaining to the commish. Saying 'We didn't form the contract! We had our hands tied by Philly! It was an offer sheet!' It would be similar to a 'constitutional crisis' with the CBA. If complaining to the NHL central office does not work and the Preds have to chuck salary, I'm sending as much as I can... ALL to Atlantic rivals.

"Say! Boston! You need a Defenseman? Tampa Bay! I have a forward that would be perfect for hurting Montreal, I mean, filling out your lineup.' and so on. and so on.

Fill the Nashville roster with goons for the first Habs game with money on the board for ending Habs careers.

You see, the above actions would cost the NHL in valuation, money one team falls, the league falls. ALL teams would lose valuation. The teams are in league with each other. Nashville sucks for a couple of years till FA money is spent and draft picks move up the system. The Atlantic become hell for the Habs and they never will get a sniff of the playoffs with Quebec's tax structure and every other team in the Atlantic strong. Nashville is hurt for 3 years maybe 5, Montreal, a half decade or more? It would be Mutually Assured Destruction in hockey. Who else is hurt? The metro. So many Atlantic clubs hogging the WC spots.

That's petty and Bettman has been weeding that out for his entire tenure. The NHL boys club used to be child-like. Fist fights in board rooms, gambling, other child like crap. For the Habs, to do that would be a loss of it's carefully crafted image of class. EVERY GM learns they can't do business with Montreal. EVERY player learns that the Habs will not fulfill their contracts, their promises.

The only winners would be lawyers. But that is me rambling using my college classes in business law, sports law, sports medicine, ETC.

Now, back to the question at hand. What is the value of Shea Weber at 50%?

Lol yes Montreal should be scared shitless of David Poile losing his mind and blowing up his team to strengthen the Habs division rivals while whining to the commissioner that he's being forced to accept the consequences for his actions just like New Jersey with Kovalchuk, Vancouver with Luongo and LA with Richards and Kovalchuk.

By all means squander all the good will Nashville got after the league had to babysit it for 10 years, it will be super funny to the rest of us

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad