Wolf Pack staying in Hartford!

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Spectacor controls the business operations of the xl center and the Wolfpack if things don't work out in Hartford and the rangers Wanted to be in the New York capitol region they would they would most likely look at Glens Falls over Albany Comcast Spectacor - Wikipedia
nope, try harder, js.... where is the Rangers newest affiliate based, in a Spectra owned facility, it is no longer CS, IT IS Spectra

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
FYI, Js, Adirondack owns the territorial rights to the Capital District as long as the Thunder are an active member, that is why the transfer was made to let Albany migrate to Binghamton, when Ottawa bought the Senators affiliation outright AND FLIPPED it to Belleville....

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
nope, try harder, js.... where is the Rangers newest affiliate based, in a Spectra owned facility, it is no longer CS, IT IS Spectra
Comcast Spectacor is the parent company of Spectra, so technically I think you are both correct.

FYI, Js, Adirondack owns the territorial rights to the Capital District as long as the Thunder are an active member, that is why the transfer was made to let Albany migrate to Binghamton, when Ottawa bought the Senators affiliation outright AND FLIPPED it to Belleville....
You are saying the Devils AHL team was moved to Binghamton because the ECHL Thunder "own the rights" to hockey in the area? That's not true. The Thunder could probably block an ECHL team from going into Albany if someone wanted to do that, and they felt it would hurt their business, but I don't believe an ECHL team and prevent an AHL team from locating there, and they most certainly can't force a pre-existing AHL team to leave.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Avsrule2022

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
You are saying the Devils AHL team was moved to Binghamton because the ECHL Thunder "own the rights" to hockey in the area? That's not true. The Thunder could probably block an ECHL team from going into Albany if someone wanted to do that, and they felt it would hurt their business, but I don't believe an ECHL team and prevent an AHL team from locating there, and they most certainly can't force a pre-existing AHL team to leave.
There are no territory rules in hockey like in baseball

Last edited:

Tater Tot

Jul 8, 2017
There are no territory rules in hockey like in baseball

The AHL has historically had territorial rights for their teams. It is a 50 mile radius from the arena where the team plays. I do believe the ECHL has something similar,or it is one of those unwritten rules that you don't put teams too close together, especially in the same league.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
The AHL has historically had territorial rights for their teams. It is a 50 mile radius from the arena where the team plays. I do believe the ECHL has something similar,or it is one of those unwritten rules that you don't put teams too close together, especially in the same league.
Google Maps

Tater Tot

Jul 8, 2017
Two different leagues now, so the distance between Worcester and Providence doesn't matter. Does it happen that teams get located close together? Yes it does, if the cities are big enough to support both teams, then it works.

RowdyFan42

Apr 22, 2015
Albany(-ish)
New England is so densely populated that it never really mattered much that Springfield, Hartford, Worcester, Lowell, Manchester, Providence and Portland all had AHL teams despite so much overlap in territory. (Well, Lowell might have been hurt by Manchester, but the point remains the same.) Obviously the teams themselves felt this way, as each successive incursion upon a team's territory would require the permission of the incumbent team.

Hockey's territory rules only apply to each individual league, so even if Providence had an issue with Worcester getting an ECHL franchise, there's nothing they could have done about it. On the other hand, baseball's territory rules span all of Minor League Baseball's classifications. That's why Albany will never have a AA or AAA baseball team as long as the single-A ValleyCats continue to play across the river in Troy.

Reactions: Tater Tot

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
There is no other market then Albany that defied territory rights theory. Albany had the IHL Choppers, Troy had the Capital District Isles of the AHL, and nearby Glens Falls had the Adirondack Red Wings. In fact it was the IHL's encroachment that influenced the AHL to urge Adirondack to relent on the territory rights. These " territory" agreements are often causual or vague, at least in hockey.

Like Rowdy said baseball is different. Albany NY was caught up in that to. When the Class A Valleycats were coming to fruition, a group was going to purchase the Binghamton Mets AA club and move them to Albany. Albany was in early stages of building a stadium in its warehouse district. That plan however was thwarted when William Gladstone and Senator Joe Bruno beat Albany's plan to the punch. Baseball's governing body awarded the rights to the Valleycats.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
The AHL determines what a team has for "territorial rights" on an individual bases, and it has nothing to do with any set radius. The ECHL only gets involved when two teams are close and can't work it out for themselves. When Worcester came into the ECHL they agreed with Manchester to use the old AHL boundary. I wouldn't be shocked if the same thing happened between Manchester and Maine.

Liebo

May 7, 2018
Like Rowdy said baseball is different. Albany NY was caught up in that to. When the Class A Valleycats were coming to fruition, a group was going to purchase the Binghamton Mets AA club and move them to Albany. Albany was in early stages of building a stadium in its warehouse district. That plan however was thwarted when William Gladstone and Senator Joe Bruno beat Albany's plan to the punch. Baseball's governing body awarded the rights to the Valleycats.

I don't want to sidetrack the conversation, but just for point of fact: minor league baseball's territorial rules are strict and apply to all levels, BUT a higher level team may usurp the rights to a lower-level market. Offhand, this happened in Portland (Oregon) and Salt Lake City, and in both cases a Triple-A team displaced a short-season Class-A franchise. (I'm sure it's happened elsewhere, but those are the occasions I can think of at the moment.) Any MiLB relocation requires approval from 1) the league, 2) Minor League Baseball, and 3) Major League Baseball, through the Office of the Commissioner. As a result, if a team believes it is being unduly forced from it's market, the franchise can lobby MiLB and/or the commissioner's office to reject the move. The team/league taking over the market will owe the departing team/league a fee, which can be determined by negotiation or, if that doesn't work, arbitration. The displaced team doesn't disappear, it just needs to find a new market.

Sorry for the tangent, but I just figured I'd share. :)

Last edited:

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
I don't want to sidetrack the conversation, but just for point of fact: minor league baseball's territorial rules are strict and apply to all levels, BUT a higher level team may usurp the rights to a lower-level market. Offhand, this happened in Portland (Oregon) and Salt Lake City, and in both cases a Triple-A team displaced a short-season Class-A franchise. (I'm sure it's happened elsewhere, but those are the occasions I can think of at the moment.) Any MiLB relocation requires approval from 1) the league, 2) Minor League Baseball, and 3) Major League Baseball, through the Office of the Commissioner. As a result, if a team believes it is being unduly forced from it's market, the franchise can lobby MiLB and/or the commissioner's office to reject the move. The team/league taking over the market will owe the departing team/league a fee, which can be determined by negotiation or, if that doesn't work, arbitration. The displaced team doesn't disappear, it just needs to find a new market.

Sorry for the tangent, but I just figured I'd share. :)
i think the NHL can block a ahl team from entering a market like the NHL blocked the AHL Riverman to Seattle

Last edited:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
The NHL can block a ahl team from entering a market like they NHL blocked the Riverman to Seattle
what? I think you're widely misinformed there Js, especially if the AHL now requires an affiliation prior to the granting of any franchise, where are you getting Seattle, there has been no professional hockey in the Northwest, the closest pro team is Idaho...

Peoria, if that's the franchise you're thinking of was sold to Vancouver by St. Louis, the current Rivermen are an entirely different franchise in an entirely different league, same as Quad City's flip from the ECHL to the SPHL....

THE NHL cannot block another team's affiliate from setting up in the same market as an existing NHL/AHL/ECHL/SPHL team, even if it owns the affiliate, it's happened twice..... Edmonton tried that with the now Bakersfield franchise in Toronto and Cincinnati did that under Anaheim's affiliation after being in Washington's territory in Baltimore going head to head with the existing Cyclones and frankly, it damaged both brands to such a degree that the Cyclones are just now recovered from that scenario

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
what? I think you're widely misinformed there Js, especially if the AHL now requires an affiliation prior to the granting of any franchise, where are you getting Seattle, there has been no professional hockey in the Northwest, the closest pro team is Idaho...

Peoria, if that's the franchise you're thinking of was sold to Vancouver by St. Louis, the current Rivermen are an entirely different franchise in an entirely different league, same as Quad City's flip from the ECHL to the SPHL....

THE NHL cannot block another team's affiliate from setting up in the same market as an existing NHL/AHL/ECHL/SPHL team, even if it owns the affiliate, it's happened twice..... Edmonton tried that with the now Bakersfield franchise in Toronto and Cincinnati did that under Anaheim's affiliation after being in Washington's territory in Baltimore going head to head with the existing Cyclones and frankly, it damaged both brands to such a degree that the Cyclones are just now recovered from that scenario
the NHL blocked the AHL Riveman from going to key arena because the coyotes where looking at the key arena if things went bad in glendale

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
the NHL blocked the AHL Riveman from going to key arena because the coyotes almost moved there
Arizona has absolutely nothing to do with that discussion nor that transfer, sir, because you're forgetting one former player now operates the franchise in Utica, New York, and Peoria's franchise went there, were you here when the Journal Star was downright incendiary over acquiring the franchise from Worcester?

Peoria has only been an IHL/AHL/ECHL Market prior to the current iteration, and the same owner who "stole" THE FRANCHISE FROM Worcester has not been alive since 2014, if you research Peoria's ECHL history, there is absolutely no mention of Seattle except on a Canucks message board/fan site

remember, Worcester was a charter member, Js, just as Hershey and Rochester have been, prior to 1994, as the Springfield Indians, the owner had to divest the franchise because he was also operating Bridgeport, which was a violation of AHL Statutes which stated you can only represent one team, not multiple teams, that is how the Blues got into the owner/operation business until they sold the franchise to the Canucks and why the Blues are now solely an affiliate....

Last edited:

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Arizona has absolutely nothing to do with that discussion nor that transfer, sir, because you're forgetting one former player now operates the franchise in Utica, New York, and Peoria's franchise went there, were you here when the Journal Star was downright incendiary over acquiring the franchise from Worcester?

Peoria has only been an IHL/AHL/ECHL Market prior to the current iteration, and the same owner who "stole" THE FRANCHISE FROM Worcester has not been alive since 2014, if you research Peoria's ECHL history, there is absolutely no mention of Seattle except on a Canucks message board/fan site

remember, Worcester was a charter member, Js, just as Hershey and Rochester have been, prior to 1994, as the Springfield Indians, the owner had to divest the franchise because he was also operating Bridgeport, which was a violation of AHL Statutes which stated you can only represent one team, not multiple teams, that is how the Blues got into the owner/operation business until they sold the franchise to the Canucks and why the Blues are now solely an affiliate....
Boe was a great owner in Worcester from what i heard about the early ice cats. the blues alienated a lot of businesses in the city when they took over

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Boe was a great owner in Worcester from what i heard about the early ice cats. the blues alienated a lot of businesses in the city when they took over
St. Louis had to be talked into that affiliation, because it was the tailend of the era of an independent franchises, which is why the League now requires an affiliation

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
i think the NHL can block a ahl team from entering a market like they NHL blocked the AHL Riverman to Seattle

Officially (and legally) they can't...but there are ways around that.

St. Louis had to be talked into that affiliation, because it was the tailend of the era of an independent franchises, which is why the League now requires an affiliation

False.

Last edited by a moderator:

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Officially (and legally) they can't...but there are ways around that.
I think The nhl has the votes in the ahl to veto a move by an independent owner if a ahl team for example wanted to move to Houston and the market was being eyed by a nhl team the nhl owned ahl teams could vote it down

Last edited:

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
I think The nhl has the votes in the ahl to veto a move by an independent owner if a ahl team for example wanted to move to Houston and the market was being eyed by a nhl team the nhl owned ahl teams could vote it down
And failing that, if an AHL team moved to a city that the NHL didn't want them to, the affiliated NHL team could simply cancel the affiliation. The AHL team would be forced to fold, and then the NHL team could buy an expansion franchise and locate them somewhere else. I don't think it would ever come to that, since the independent AHL teams know the NHL holds all the power in the relationship.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com

You are entitled to think whatever you wish, but there is a reason why nearly every franchise sale and relocation is by unanimous vote.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad