Injury Report: Wolanin torn labrum, out 4 months (UPD: Skating, Returning in February)

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
You would hope but we all know Dorion gets really giddy over his prospects and gets them to the NHL sooner than they should.

The list is long

Cowen, Zibanejad, Rundblad, Ceci, Lazar
Maybe more the coaches fault than Dorion's, but he seems pretty calm in his reasoning and no doubt the vets brought in are certainly stop gap measures to allow the young guys to develop at their own pace.

Who knows, maybe a guy like Davidsson will simply barge on this team, or Kelly. This is going to be a great camp.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Its dissapointing. Hopefully Dorion doesnt force Brannstrom into the NHL sooner than he should be.

Brannstrom played a handful of games here last year, and didn't look out of place at all. In fact, I thought he looked quietly terrific in the St. Louis game - very calm and smooth with the puck with a clean zone exit every time. I can't wait to see him in pre-season.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Its dissapointing. Hopefully Dorion doesnt force Brannstrom into the NHL sooner than he should be.

Brannstrom has played 50 games at the AHL level.

Karlsson played 12. Chabot played 13. Rielly played 14. Dumba played 23. Ekman-Larsson played 35. Hedman, Doughty, Makar, Hughes, Jones, etc played 0.

Brannstrom should be ready to step in and play this year. If he isn't, it'd be a disappointing turn in his development.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Karlsson played 12. Chabot played 13. Rielly played 14. Dumba played 23. Ekman-Larsson played 35. Hedman, Doughty, Makar, Hughes, Jones, etc played 0.

Brannstrom should be ready to step in and play this year. If he isn't, it'd be a disappointing turn in his development.

Karlsson, Doughty, Hedman, OEL, Rielly, Jones were far superior prospects, so the comparison isn't valid. I'd argue Chabot belongs on that list too.

Makar and Hughes are probably better prospects too, and they aren't proven NHL difference makers yet. Worth noting too that Makar is a year older (a '98).

I'm expecting him to make the team and start making an impact right away, but it wouldn't be hugely disappointing if he were to spend more time in the AHL developing his game. Kid's only 20 for god's sake.

Reactions: DrEasy and DJB

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Pretty much like Pageau last year. Of course, even in rebuilding years, adversity starts strong. Hopefully, they cash in next draft and then things turn around (luck) just after Melnyk sells the franchise. Definitely one of the teams that has been the most hurt by injuries in the last decade.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
If you're a capable NHL player, being "forced" into the NHL isn't going to ruin your career. Lazar's career is where it's at because he simply wasn't good enough, not because he should've played an extra 50 games in the AHL. Confidence is important, but you don't lose the ability to be a legitimate NHL player due to being "rushed" or "forced". The fact that Brannstrom isn't being shooed in on this team (and his ranking at the 43rd best NHL prospect) leads me to feel even worse now about the Stone trade than when it happened.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Karlsson, Doughty, Hedman, OEL, Rielly, Jones were far superior prospects, so the comparison isn't valid. I'd argue Chabot belongs on that list too.

Makar and Hughes are probably better prospects too, and they aren't proven NHL difference makers yet. Worth noting too that Makar is a year older (a '98).

I'm expecting him to make the team and start making an impact right away, but it wouldn't be hugely disappointing if he were to spend more time in the AHL developing his game. Kid's only 20 for god's sake.

Sure, some of those guys may have been more highly touted prospects. But Brannstrom was drafted 15th overall, and is unanimously considered a top 15-20 prospect in the league.

You could maybe compare him to a guy like Juuso Valimaki (drafted one spot after Brannstrom), who's played 20 AHL games and is pencilled into the Flames top 6 this year. Or Charlie McAvoy, who was drafted 14th overall the year before, and played just 4 AHL games before making the jump. Sergachev, that same year, went straight to the NHL, after being drafted 9th.

My point is that the expectation for Brannstrom should be to start the season in Ottawa, and be playing a top 4 role by February. Especially considering the competition.
I'd be disappointed if he isn't.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
If you're a capable NHL player, being "forced" into the NHL isn't going to ruin your career. Lazar's career is where it's at because he simply wasn't good enough, not because he should've played an extra 50 games in the AHL. Confidence is important, but you don't lose the ability to be a legitimate NHL player due to being "rushed" or "forced". The fact that Brannstrom isn't being shooed in on this team (and his ranking at the 43rd best NHL prospect) leads me to feel even worse now about the Stone trade than when it happened.

This. I see people still talking about how the "Red Wings never rushed their prospects". But the Red Wings haven't been good in 8-9 years, and the league has changed. Back in the late 90's and early 00's, older players could simply slow young kids down with their size and strength, but that's not the case anymore. You can't clutch and grab, so that advantage is gone. Now it's about speed and skill, and 20 year old's have that in spades.

Look at some of the top players in the league: Point, Matthews, Marner, Aho, Rantanen, Pastrnak, Eichel, DeBrincat, Pettersson, etc. All dynamic, and under 22/23, and all were solid contributors at 20/21.

With a year of pro under their belt, there's no reason that Brown, Batherson and Brannstrom should be babied this upcoming season. In my opinion, they should be put into top 6/top 4 roles right off the bat.

In 2020/21, I'd expect that same progression from Norris and Formenton.

If they're really going to kick off FYOUS, they should be able to handle it. If they can't, we're not in as good shape in terms of "young talent" as some seem to think.

In today's NHL, if you're not a contributor by 21/22, the odds of becoming a top-end player are against you.

Last edited:

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
This. I see people still talking about how the "Red Wings never rushed their prospects". But the Red Wings haven't been good in 8-9 years, and the league has changed. Back in the late 90's and early 00's, older players could simply slow young kids down with their size and strength, but that's not the case anymore. You can't clutch and grab, so that advantage is gone. Now it's about speed and skill, and 20 year old's have that in spades.

Look at some of the top players in the league: Point, Matthews, Marner, Aho, Rantanen, Pastrnak, Eichel, DeBrincat, Pettersson, etc. All dynamic, and under 22/23, and all were solid contributors at 20/21.

With a year of pro under their belt, there's no reason that Brown, Batherson and Brannstrom should be babied this upcoming season. In my opinion, they should be put into top 6/top 4 roles right off the bat.

In 2020/21, I'd expect that same progression from Norris and Formenton.

If they're really going to kick off FYOUS, they should be able to handle it. If they can't, we're not in as good shape in terms of "young talent" as some seem to think.

In today's NHL, if you're not a contributor by 21/22, the odds of becoming a top-end player are against you.

Couldn't agree more. I think lower tier players benefit from spending more time in the minors. They may need time to adapt to the pro game, may be late bloomers, etc., but with legitimate high end players, it's a different story. If a player is a legitimate high end prospect, it shouldn't take multiple seasons in the minors for the player to be good enough or "ready" to crack a weak team.

Sure, some of those guys may have been more highly touted prospects. But Brannstrom was drafted 15th overall, and is unanimously considered a top 15-20 prospect in the league.

You could maybe compare him to a guy like Juuso Valimaki (drafted one spot after Brannstrom), who's played 20 AHL games and is pencilled into the Flames top 6 this year. Or Charlie McAvoy, who was drafted 14th overall the year before, and played just 4 AHL games before making the jump. Sergachev, that same year, went straight to the NHL, after being drafted 9th.

My point is that the expectation for Brannstrom should be to start the season in Ottawa, and be playing a top 4 role by February. Especially considering the competition.
I'd be disappointed if he isn't.

I'll be extremely disappointed if Brannstrom isn't playing a top 4 role by February. Unfortunately, I wouldn't say that he's unanimously in the top 15-20. NHL Network ranked him 36 and Pronman ranked him 41, and those are just off the top of my head.

Sounding like a broken record, and I'm likely a little early, but man that trade is looking bad. He was originally touted as a sure thing, almost a Karlsson type player. Then the comparisons changed to Kimmo Timmonen. Now he can't be "rushed". Not liking the trend here.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Couldn't agree more. I think lower tier players benefit from spending more time in the minors. They may need time to adapt to the pro game, may be late bloomers, etc., but with legitimate high end players, it's a different story. If a player is a legitimate high end prospect, it shouldn't take multiple seasons in the minors for the player to be good enough or "ready" to crack a weak team.

I'll be extremely disappointed if Brannstrom isn't playing a top 4 role by February. Unfortunately, I wouldn't say that he's unanimously in the top 15-20. NHL Network ranked him 36 and Pronman ranked him 41, and those are just off the top of my head.

Sounding like a broken record, and I'm likely a little early, but man that trade is looking bad. He was originally touted as a sure thing, almost a Karlsson type player. Then the comparisons changed to Kimmo Timmonen. Now he can't be "rushed". Not liking the trend here.
He is 20 years old he doesnt need to be a solid top 4 this year... Patience people. As long as he continues to improve its fine.

Any updates on Wolanin? Still on schedule for a January return?

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Any updates on Wolanin? Still on schedule for a January return?

Recovery from labrum repair surgery is four to six months, so mid-January would be the earliest return for Wolanin. Once you toss in a re-conditioning stint in Belleville, my guess is that after the all-star break would be the best possible projection.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

Brannstrom isn't ready

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Brannstrom isn't ready
Not every player follows the same development path either. Brannstrom also started playing in the AHL at 19 not 20 like a bunch of those other players Dave Matthew listed.

Roman Josi, P.K Subban, John Carlson etc etc all played substantial time in the AHL and they are successful.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Not every player follows the same development path either. Brannstrom also started playing in the AHL at 19 not 20 like a bunch of those other players Dave Matthew listed.

Roman Josi, P.K Subban, John Carlson etc etc all played substantial time in the AHL and they are successful.

Agreed there’s nothing wrong with AHL time he certainly not a bust or anything like that he still young . I think he would benefit from more AHL time

Reactions: h2owned

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Very excited to have Wolanin back, but by the time he's back I suspect Brannstrom will be ready. I wouldn't mind swapping Brannstrom and Lajoie or Jaros for a bit in the meantime.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Agreed there’s nothing wrong with AHL time he certainly not a bust or anything like that he still young . I think he would benefit from more AHL time

I certainly don't think it would hurt him, and he would help Belleville a lot more than he's currently helping us imo.

Reactions: DJB

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It feels like Brannstrom is just sort of there. He's holding his own, but it doesn't feel like the best situation for him imo. I'd prefer he gets put in Belleville as the top guy playing a ton and bring a placeholder or lesser prospect up. Wolanin deserves that spot upon return and possibly a short ahl stint to get his legs back.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
One or more of Demelo, Hainsey or Boro are being moved in February as the trade deadline approaches, so there will be space here for Wolanin, and likely one of either Jaros or Lajoie as well without affecting Brannstrom.

Reactions: aragorn

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
It feels like Brannstrom is just sort of there. He's holding his own, but it doesn't feel like the best situation for him imo. I'd prefer he gets put in Belleville as the top guy playing a ton and bring a placeholder or lesser prospect up. Wolanin deserves that spot upon return and possibly a short ahl stint to get his legs back.

I agree he needs more reps in the AHL where he can make more mistakes and work on his offense at the pro level. I think cycling up Murray, Lajoie and or Jaros might help with motivation down there too.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I agree he needs more reps in the AHL where he can make more mistakes and work on his offense at the pro level. I think cycling up Murray, Lajoie and or Jaros might help with motivation down there too.
Ya it just seems like it would be optimal for him to be down there playing a ton in all situations over being here and sheltered, but he does at least hold his own out there.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Any word on how his shoulder is. Great to see him back skating with the team. How close is he to getting in a game?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->