Traded Christian Wolanin (D)

Raze The Stray

Duuuuuude
Aug 5, 2009
Auto-wah
Considering how long he's been sidelined, it was a really good debut. You could definitely notice more pressure and movement coming from our back end which has basically been non-existent all year if Chabot isn't on. Real shame he missed most of the season, his skillset was sorely needed. Ah well, to a strong finish.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
DJ since the beginning is rolling 3 line and 4D this is not good in the long run.
DJ know that and it s gonna change. He said after the sj game that the fact he roll the 4 line and all defenseman in the 14 min - 25 min , have help the team to be fresh for the third. He said Wolanin help a lot with his first pass.

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
DJ know that and it s gonna change. He said after the sj game that the fact he roll the 4 line and all defenseman in the 14 min - 25 min , have help the team to be fresh for the third. He said Wolanin help a lot with his first pass.

It took him 70 games to figure that one out? Uhm.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
DJ on Wolanin's debut

On Christian Wolanin's return on Saturday night after missing so much time with a shoulder injury suffered before training camp:
He was very good. He moved pucks and we had the puck a lot more. We had a real good puck mover on the left side with every unit so I was really happy with his performance.​
On Wolanin's play after missing so much time this season:
That was what I expected. We kind of had him penciled in to start the year but he got hurt and that's unfortunate but that's what I saw in the video. It's the defensive side of the game that we'll continue to work on but "puck movement"-wise, he was great.​

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Teams are going to see Wolanin and Hogberg playing for us next year consuming under $2 mil in cap space between the two of them, and shake their heads in awe. Smart move would be to get both of them signed to extensions this summer - guarantee that their price tag isn't going down as next season unfolds...

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Teams are going to see Wolanin and Hogberg playing for us next year consuming under $2 mil in cap space between the two of them, and shake their heads in awe. Smart move would be to get both of them signed to extensions this summer - guarantee that their price tag isn't going down as next season unfolds...

I sense another $26 million contract coming after 1/3 of a season of reps on one of the worst defences in the league ... caution... nothing wrong with a bridge ...

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Hogberg & Wolanin are going to be two very good young players for the Sens in future, IMO Wolanin has that second pairing LD spot to lose. I assume that means Brannstrom is in the AHL for another yr at least unless someone gets hurt & someone always gets hurt every yr. I won't be surprised if Boro is re-signed for a yr or two either to play that 3rd pairing LD spot. They still need to get Chabot a RD partner, unless Hainsey is re-signed or they think Zaitsev can play that role, personally I see JBD challenge for one of the top two RD spots in a yr or two.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Roll with Chabot / Wolanin / Brann on each pair and cut Chabot’s ice time. Chabot’s developed...he doesn't need the wear and tear when the Sens are only competing for a place the lottery. I find it totally unnecessary, and think it will do him better in the long run unlike Karlsson who was broken when the team was a contender.

This will never happen, but whats wrong with a split of 22-24 minutes / and then 18-19 for the 2nd and 3rd pair? Makes sense to me at least. A 2nd PP pair of Wolanin/Brann or vise a versa could be one of the better pairs in the league.

Reactions: NB613

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I really don’t like the way this DMAN group is taking shape.

I think they are far too undersized, regardless of a modern NHL.

1. Use the 2ND picks to acquire some size
2. Cross my fingers that LT and JBD can develop some element of physicality/shut down play.
3. Look to trade a puck mover, ideally CW for some size.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

2. Cross my fingers that LT and JBD can develop some element of physicality/shut down play.
Seems you have a thing against the initials CW. Probably could get more for Brannstrom based on prospect rankings.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Only guy that's really undersized is Brannstrom, but I agree that we could use more size The rest, JBD, Thomson, Chabot, Wolanin, and Zaitsev are all 6' + and 190 + which isn't big, but far too undersized seems hyperbolic. It would be great if Jaros pans out to add the big body we lack though, until then Boro will be on his own in that regard.

In an ideal world, you have 1 or 2 in your top 4 that provide the size, but things seem to be shaping up that we will have to fit size into our 3rd pair. Guys like Jaro and Boro can add size, but I wouldn't want to count on them shutting down an Ovechkin and Wilson line.

In terms of who to move, I don't think you get enough value from Wolanin to rationalize moving him right now. Might also be hard to find a trading partner that has the Dman we're looking for but is also looking to acquire a guy like Wolanin.

If Barron slips to our 2nd or in reach to trading up for him, he might be a good target. Not sure where he sits in the rankings these days.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Only guy that's really undersized is Brannstrom, but I agree that we could use more size The rest, JBD, Thomson, Chabot, Wolanin, and Zaitsev are all 6' + and 190 + which isn't big, but far too undersized seems hyperbolic. It would be great if Jaros pans out to add the big body we lack though, until then Boro will be on his own in that regard.

In an ideal world, you have 1 or 2 in your top 4 that provide the size, but things seem to be shaping up that we will have to fit size into our 3rd pair. Guys like Jaro and Boro can add size, but I wouldn't want to count on them shutting down an Ovechkin and Wilson line.

In terms of who to move, I don't think you get enough value from Wolanin to rationalize moving him right now. Might also be hard to find a trading partner that has the Dman we're looking for but is also looking to acquire a guy like Wolanin.

If Barron slips to our 2nd or in reach to trading up for him, he might be a good target. Not sure where he sits in the rankings these days.

I agree. I’m not against moving Brann but CW’s contract is coming up and anything mid range, long term (Like White) scares the crap out of me for Wolanin. As far as we are from the cap there are many teams up against the cap with average talent .

I’d rather pump and move CW before we pay him $4-5 x 5 and recycle the assets with young players or at least bridge him with someThing that starts with a $1 AAV.

As a top 6 I don’t see anyone who strikes fear into the opposing forwards let alone reliably able to physically separate players from pucks. Borio should be a 6-7 dman.

Last edited:

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Seems you have a thing against the initials CW. Probably could get more for Brannstrom based on prospect rankings.

Mostly just the ones that don’t deserve $26 million/7% of our salary budget. No problem at 2-4% until they learn to succeed in the league .

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I agree. I’m not against moving Brann but CW’s contract is coming up and anything mid range, long term (Like White) scares the crap out of me for Wolanin. As far as we are from the cap there are many teams up against the cap with average talent .

I’d rather pump and move CW before we pay him $4-5 x 5 and recycle the assets with young players.

Wolanin has 43 games and 15 pts to his name, he's a mid round pick, 25 years old RFA. There is zero leverage for him to get a 4-5 mil 5 year deal.

Colin Miller had 185 games to his name, and was coming off a 41 pts season and didn't get a deal that rich. Is there any comparable you can point to that suggests your $4-5 x 5 is anything more than a fever dream?

Reactions: derriko

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Wolanin has 43 games and 15 pts to his name, he's a mid round pick, 25 years old RFA. There is zero leverage for him to get a 4-5 mil 5 year deal.

Colin Miller had 185 games to his name, and was coming off a 41 pts season and didn't get a deal that rich. Is there any comparable you can point to that suggests your $4-5 x 5 is anything more than a fever dream?

Im not sure you understood my point. I think he has value on a “prove it” type deal less that what Duclair makes. To me there feels to be a group that thinks he is a top 4-5 dman potentially worth that type of money. I think that is a mistake.

If the Sens end up with Drysdale or Sanderson they potentially would have 5-6 undersized/non physical dman for 2022. At some point that D group needs some balance.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->