Traded Christian Wolanin (D)

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
This team doesn't lock anybody up to term. When was the last time this team handed out a contract over 3 years?

This is not a fall back argument of any relevance to this signing, of this player, at this moment in his career.

A complete thread derailment as you like to whine about.

Reactions: IamJust0ne

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Don't forget how good Harpur was in the '17 playoffs.
Harpur vs Wolanin is not a fair comparison at all. Wolanin is also the same age as Harpur. Big Ben got his one-way deal a few years back without proving anything.

Harpur was bad before he signed the one way. He didn't just magically turn into a bad player overnight.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Not sure what there is to complain about here, assuming anyone actually is complaining...

It's a team friendly deal. I might have been tempted to buy some ufa years with a 5 year or more deal myself, but failing that this is pretty much ideal from the teams perspective.

Even then, buying up some UFA years might not have been something Wolanin would have been willing to do since he doesn't have the history to command a fair deal for him.

Reactions: DrEasy and aragorn

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
This is not a fall back argument of any relevance to this signing, of this player, at this moment in his career.

A complete thread derailment as you like to whine about.
On fire today :madfire::madfire: Cloudy out west?

Yes, this is completely relevant. The team could have bought some UFAs years but didn't, that's what they do. Maybe its a good strategy? Maybe its not? In this case, this is 100% a team friendly deal. Nothing wrong with that.

Keep coming with anger though after complaining about everyone else being angry!

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I literally just said that the team made a heck of a deal. Not sure that's hand-wringing.

Actually, you started by accusing the team of ‘kicking the can down the road’ and then went on to describe how a 4 year deal would have been better.

If you think the team make a heck of deal, then hey look at that, we agree! :)

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Id reward him cause he was arguably our 2nd best dmen when he was allowed to play his game.

Also the 2way is horrible that now allows them to bury him in the AHL for the likes of Borowiecki & Hainsey to be used enough that they might be attractive trade come deadline.

He was rewarded with a 1 way in year two though. I just don't think it makes sense to expect a player who has a career high of 30 NHL games to get a 1 way.

This might have been a good opportunity to do what Nashville has done and go 4-6 years right off the bat. This is assuming the player is interested in that approach and that the team has a positive projection of Wolanin. Ultimately, I'm not convinced this team wants to commit to secondary players.

With that said, I can see the logic of going two years if we have Brannstrom and Chabot penciled in as the guys anchoring both top pairings on the left side for the next five or so seasons. While Wolanin would be worth more of he breaks out with term at a low cap hit, there are obvious risks associated with that which might make him more difficult to move of he becomes redundant.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
just don't think it makes sense to expect a player who has a career high of 30 NHL games to get a 1 way.
Has the team just learned from their own mistakes? Its possible but Dorion is not one to admit fault in anything.

Harpur, Boro, McCormick all got one-ways with minimal NHL experience, all very inferior players that play a completely different style to Wolanin.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Good deal. He won't play in Belleville next year. I think he will have a surprising season.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
On fire today :madfire::madfire: Cloudy out west?

Yes, this is completely relevant. The team could have bought some UFAs years but didn't, that's what they do. Maybe its a good strategy? Maybe its not? In this case, this is 100% a team friendly deal. Nothing wrong with that.

Keep coming with anger though after complaining about everyone else being angry!

Not angry, and thankfully it’s a nice hot day today, perfect for the pool.

Assuming that the team won’t sign Wolanin to his next deal isn’t really appropriate when talking about him signing this deal, in my opinion at least.

From the looks of it we would have had to give him at least a 5 year deal to buy up one UFA year. There is exactly zero motivation for either side to hand out a deal of that size on a 40 game sample during one of the worst seasons the team has ever had.

This is hardly a team friendly deal, it’s a pretty standard rookie deal for a guy who has played 40 NHL games and has looked pretty good at times. Nothing more to see here really.

Look Bath, let’s dial it back a bit. You must understand that I can take issue with your posts without being angry at you, or taking any of it personally. I hope you can too. :)

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
If Wolainin has a chance to be as good as most of us think he can be, it would have been terrible advice for him to sign a long term deal.

He is one good season away from making considerably more than he could command today.

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
If Wolainin has a chance to be as good as most of us think he can be, it would have been terrible advice for him to sign a long term deal.

He is one good season away from making considerably more than he could command today.

That’s why I’m curious of what his ask would be for say, a 6 year extension. I see a guy with a top 4 skill set. Amazing vision and passing (outlet and offensive zone). If he continues on his current trajectory, he’s gonna be worth well over 1 million dollars in 2 years. And not like practice, or be bad in the room or something

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Wolaniacs rejoice!

For a guy with limited NHL exposure and pro playing experience, he handles himself with a surprising amount of poise on the ice. Obviously his mistakes can be compounded as he's not the most physical guy but he's a real asset to have and I'm excited to see where he goes from here.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Damn, 900k a year and the first year is a two-way contract? What a weak contract for a guy who pushed his way into our top 4 to end last season. Normally I would be really happy about that, a good promising defenseman on a cheap contract is a great asset, but with Ottawa right now you ask yourself "if Wolanin plays well in the next few season does that mean we are going to trade him?"

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I don’t really see any parallels to the three stars we traded to be honest.

Stone and EK were nearing the tail end of their respective primes, while the team was just entering a full blown rebuild, and Duchene wanted to play for a playoff team finally. Two of them by many accounts didn’t want to sign regardless, and all three wanted premium contracts no matter where they signed. There’s a lot more going on there for a small market rebuilding team than signing a rookie to his first real NHL deal.

Personally I see Wolanin more like Hoffman, where we signed him to a show me deal, he showed us, and we signed him to term. So long as Wolainin’s GF stays cool with Tkachuk’s GF, I don’t see there being much of a problem to see what he can do for two years, and then pay him accordingly. :)

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
I don’t really see any parallels to the three stars we traded to be honest.

Stone and EK were nearing the tail end of their respective primes, while the team was just entering a full blown rebuild, and Duchene wanted to play for a playoff team finally. Two of them by many accounts didn’t want to sign regardless, and all three wanted premium contracts no matter where they signed. There’s a lot more going on there for a small market rebuilding team than signing a rookie to his first real NHL deal.

Personally I see Wolanin more like Hoffman, where we signed him to a show me deal, he showed us, and we signed him to term. So long as Wolainin’s GF stays cool with Tkachuk’s GF, I don’t see there being much of a problem to see what he can do for two years, and then pay him accordingly. :)

Lol come on now. EK sure, but Stone just turned 27, and has arguably just entered his prime. He went to a scuffling Vegas team and helped them do a 180 into one of the hottest teams in the league.

That's just a silly thing to say.

Reactions: FolignoQuantumLeap

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
1. Really glad he's signed
2. He signed the Harpur / McCormick deal 1 2 way 1 1 way as I expected.
3. Chabot , Hainsey and Boro in front of him now. Not as much opportunity for the young guys in this 2nd year of the fresh faces rebuild.
4. I think he's ready and should play ahead of Boro but that won't happen
5. He was the best player on the ice many nights for Belleville and he will be again.
6. Don't be surprised if Dorion calls Brannstrom up ahead of him if an opening develops. Best day as a GM so . Wolanin never gave him that.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
1. Really glad he's signed
2. He signed the Harpur / McCormick deal 1 2 way 1 1 way as I expected.
3. Chabot , Hainsey and Boro in front of him now. Not as much opportunity for the young guys in this 2nd year of the fresh faces rebuild.
4. I think he's ready and should play ahead of Boro but that won't happen
5. He was the best player on the ice many nights for Belleville and he will be again.
6. Don't be surprised if Dorion calls Brannstrom up ahead of him if an opening develops. Best day as a GM so . Wolanin never gave him that.
Yup. Pretty much this. I'll just add that not only should he play over Boro, but Hainsey as well. Won't happen obviously but in Ottawa, the best players don't play.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Competition is good. Maybe not for the individual players but for the team success. Here’s to the best guys making it and staying.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
That's an awesome deal to get Wolanin done with a two way this year . That's a solid contract for us.

It's better that he , Lajoie, Brannstrom all marinate more in the A. It's smart
^Like

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Competition is good. Maybe not for the individual players but for the team success. Here’s to the best guys making it and staying.
That's not the way it works though and you know it.. A 1 way 3 or 4 million dollar player is going to make it over a player that outperforms him in tc if that player doesn't need waivers to go bake in Belleville. They should keep 13 forwards and allow a vet to have a rest ..to help promote development at the NHL level. Give guys like Logan Brown , Balcers, Chlapik, Paul, Davidsson (if he's here) ..extended looks while a vet takes turns sitting out...

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
That's not the way it works though and you know it.. A 1 way 3 or 4 million dollar player is going to make it over a player that outperforms him in tc if that player doesn't need waivers to go bake in Belleville. They should keep 13 forwards and allow a vet to have a rest ..to help promote development at the NHL level. Give guys like Logan Brown , Balcers, Chlapik, Paul, Davidsson (if he's here) ..extended looks while a vet takes turns sitting out...
I propose heavy "load management" for Borowiecki and Smith.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad