Traded Christian Wolanin (D)

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Kicking the can down the road again I see.

A 4 year deal would probably have saved them money in the long run, but costs them less this upcoming season. Sens gonna Sens.

Right? they gave borowiecki a 3 year contract after he only played 21 games in the nhl over 3 years as an 8th-9th defenseman/injury call up.

If boro deserves 3 years after that, wolanin sure deserves 4 years after a half season of actually being a top 6 D on the team when no injuries.

Reactions: NB613

Tkachuk27

Nov 30, 2011
Not to mention jaros. Why did we sign hainsey? he can't skate.

If it was up to me the top 6 would consist of Chabot, Brannstrom, Zaitsev, Demelo, Wolanin, and Jaros with borowiecki and hainsey as "good locker room guys"/ cheerleaders who take their turn coming in when we have injuries or what not. Also have max lajoie who boucher was really excited about...no idea how smith will view him.

Smith probably just wanted his guy but its a confusing and unnecessary signing IMO

Reactions: Cosmix

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Man some of you guys will literally complain about everything and anything. :laugh:

They can't give this guy 4 years after half a season, this is the perfect contract to see what exactly they have here. Even if he lights it up, his next contract will still be reasonable. If he doesn't then no harm, they can just let him go or re-sign him to a similar deal.

Last edited:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Wolanin can be a really special player for us. 30 points in 41 AHL games in his first year is amazing really in the AHL. And for many who recall, he was continuously driving the play himself and came up clutch many times over.

In the wake of Karlsson and now Chabot, I think many are undermining the possible big role Wolanin can fill on our team long-term. Really love his play. I recall at the end of the season when he was making a great solo rush up ice almost once a game.

Chabot
Brannstrom
Thomson
JBD
Wolanin

That's a great group of defenders. Jaros and Lajoie really complete it nicely.

Tkachuk27

Nov 30, 2011
I don't see how a two way this year is a problem.

The team shouldn't be rewarding someone with 40 career games a 1 way contract.

There could be an argument made that we should have gone longer term on a 1 way to try and lock Wolanin in at a lower rate than he will be worth 2 years from now, but that's a different discussion entirely.

Id reward him cause he was arguably our 2nd best dmen when he was allowed to play his game.

Also the 2way is horrible that now allows them to bury him in the AHL for the likes of Borowiecki & Hainsey to be used enough that they might be attractive trade come deadline.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Nothing wrong with him in Belleville, we aren't trying to compete and he will get more time there, as I'm sure DJ will play the vets we have to plug it up.

No doubt in my mind he's at worst our 4th best D at the moment, but we aren't going anywhere this year.

Unlike the absolutely idiotic move of a "playoff team" leaving their 2nd best D in the AHL because they didn't want to feed him steak, this won't make any difference in league standings, it actually makes us worse having Boro/Hainsey/etc. In the lineup.

Tkachuk27

Nov 30, 2011
Man some of you guys will literally complain about everything and anything. :laugh:

They can't give this guy 4 years after half a season, this is the perfect contract to see what exaclty they have here. Even if he lights it up, his next contract will still be resonable. If he doesn't then no harm, they can just let him go or re-sign him to a similar deal.

You line him up now for 4 years so in 2 years your not overpaying when he breaks out

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
I think he’ll play at least 50 games in the bigs regardless of anything, due to in season trades/injuries. other wise he could out drastically out perform someone at camp which results in a trade/demotion right out of the gate and he spends roughly the whole year up. Or we’re just never fully healthy, and he ends up staying by default like Jaros last year, until it makes no sense to send him down, because he’s truly earned his spot.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
You line him up now for 4 years so in 2 years your not overpaying when he breaks out

If he follows the curve he's projected on, it will be an increase sure, but nothing out of the oridinary.

Way more risk giving him 4 years versus 2 at this point of his career.

Tkachuk27

Nov 30, 2011
If he follows the curve he's projected on, it will be an increase sure, but nothing out of the oridinary.

Gotta think it be cost efficient for Melnyk by likely saving a couple million locking him now on 2.5/3 over 4 then in 2 years when he wants 4.5 or 5 a year

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I think the 2-way is a you better work your ass off type of contract. I would say that he will likely spend the majority of his time in the NHL through these next two years.

I agree....but I like the idea of the 2 way...nothing is guaranteed.... no one gets a role because of the "numbers" game

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Gotta think it be cost efficient for Melnyk by likely saving a couple million locking him now on 2.5/3 over 4 then in 2 years when he wants 4.5 or 5 a year

That's a fairly lofty contract for someone that only has 40 odd games. I don't think most NHL teams would give him that type of deal, let alone the Sens.

Why do we assume Wolanin would of signed that anyway?

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

I guess it depends how high you are on him. If you see it as very likely that he continues to a solid top 4 defenseman, thats probably 4-6 million a year in 2 years. If you could have signed him to a 4 year deal worth like 2.5 per year(something like 1-2-3-4) you could have 2 years of a ~40 point defenseman making 2.5 when you're trying to make the playoffs and compete in a couple years. It all depends, do you think wolanin is more likely to become that top 4 offensive D, or do you think he'll have trouble earning his spot in the NHL.

To me, he looks pretty special. Obviously not like karlsson or chabot or redden or chara, but i see him as a step below that. He looks like he'll be better than all those other defenseman who we gave 1-3 million to be offensive defenseman for us. Guys like Lee, Campoli, etc. So i see it more likely that that wolanin becomes a top 4 than doesn't so i see the likeliness of that proposed 4 year deal helping us more than hurting us. Kinda like we gave turris a 5 year 3.5 per after a career high of 29 points because we knew he was about to be a good #2 center, so we got him at a bargain instead of signing him for 2 years, then again for 3 years at like 5 million per after he put up 58 points.

If we're planning to compete in a couple years, we need to think of things like that before, so we can fit all this talent at a cheaper cost. Someone in another thread asked "whats our advantage over the other teams?" It should be doing things like this. Know your players and whos likely to break out and who isn't and try to get ahead of it so you can have a couple year run at the cup with everyone on cheaper deals.

Reactions: DrEasy

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Kicking the can down the road again I see.

A 4 year deal would probably have saved them money in the long run, but costs them less this upcoming season. Sens gonna Sens.

So what's the max term deal you can sign that has a 2 way piece? I've seen lots of 2 year deals that have 2 way and then 1 way in year 2. I'm not sure I've ever seen a 4 year deal that contains 2 way money. I like Wolanin but he needs to earn his spot.

Sens being Sens would be demoting a better player because of one ways.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

They can't give this guy 4 years after half a season, this is the perfect contract to see what exactly they have here. Even if he lights it up, his next contract will still be resonable. If he doesn't then no harm, they can just let him go or re-sign him to a similar deal.

Same people who complained Josh Norris wasn't sign on April 30th.

Probably don't even realize that a 4 year contract brings him to UFA, meanwhile on a 2 year contract he is still a RFA at the end of it.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Shiny new toy syndrome here

The 2 way is a good deal for the team and it reflects the fact he kid has 40 games under his belt

If he was truly worth or had earned a 4 year deal at decent nhl money....what agent in their right mind would advise their client to sign what he just signed? Further the kid comes from an nhl family....if his dad thought this was an insulting offer you can be sure he said so

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Same people who complained Josh Norris wasn't sign on April 30th.

Probably don't even realize that a 4 year contract brings him to UFA, meanwhile on a 2 year contract he is still a RFA at the end of it.

lmao oops. You could go 3 or 5, but now i think we're getting carried away with 5. 2 might be whats best when considering UFA status. It sucks we're ottawa, because if we were a destination people wanted to come to, being a ufa at the end of a contract wouldn't be as much of a concern.

Reactions: Smash88

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
lmao oops. You could go 3 or 5, but now i think we're getting carried away with 5. 2 might be whats best when considering UFA status. It sucks we're ottawa, because if we were a destination people wanted to come to, being a ufa at the end of a contract wouldn't be as much of a concern.

I think FA status would be a consideration for every team regardless how how attractive of a destination they are.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
First year is a two-way, second year is a one way.

I hope we didn't sour the relationship trying to get him to take 2-way on the first year.

To me, he's likely a top 4 D this year on this team, so 2-way is a bit strange.

I cannot see him getting much playing time behind Chabot and Hainsey (yes it hurt to type that, but you just now this was a DJ inspired deal and we will play him) and Boro (alternate captain). Maybe some time on his off side on the third pairing, and that is assuming Brannstrom does not make the team.

At moment he is just looking crowded out this year, with spots potentially opening up the year after. So I guess the deal makes sense.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Wait, we're complaining because he accepted a 2w deal?

How often have we been burned by signing young defensemen to 1w deals? Don't forget how good Harpur was in the '17 playoffs.

I expect our opening roster looks like this:
Chabot-DeMelo
Wolanin/Brannstrom*-Zaitsev
Hainsey/Boro-Jaros

One of Wolanin or Brannstrom makes the team, the other is in the AHL, with the possibility of switching during the season (Wolanin is still waiver exempt, right?)

Then Hainsey/Boro rotate out being the 7th dman (Boro is always injured anyways). If Lajoie bounces back, maybe move out one of Hainsey/Boro.

Reactions: Vprime

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Shiny new toy syndrome here

The 2 way is a good deal for the team and it reflects the fact he kid has 40 games under his belt

If he was truly worth or had earned a 4 year deal at decent nhl money....what agent in their right mind would advise their client to sign what he just signed? Further the kid comes from an nhl family....if his dad thought this was an insulting offer you can be sure he said so

The fact that the second year of the deal is a 1w shows to Wolanin that the team has confidence in him. That's a good thing. It's a matter of when, not if he becomes an NHL regular.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
The fact that the second year of the deal is a 1w shows to Wolanin that the team has confidence in him. That's a good thing. It's a matter of when, not if he becomes an NHL regular.
I don't think it shows that they have confidence in him, I take it to mean the exact opposite. The team made a heck of a good deal here, Wolanin is a top 4 d-man on this team right now. I would only slot Chabot and maybe DeMelo ahead of him. He may actually be the second best defenceman on this team.

Last edited:

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Perfect deal for Wolanin.

He’ll camp hard and that NHL money is his to earn in year one. Year two is a reflection of the team’s faith in him doing it.

Then we can lock him up to term without UFA looming right on the horizon, or a ‘show me year’ if there are still some doubts.

It’s the perfect contract for a young rookie player that shows promise.

Reactions: NB613 and Xspyrit

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I think it shows the exact opposite. The team made a heck of a good deal here, Wolanin is a top 4 d-man on this team right now. I would only slot Chabot and maybe DeMelo ahead of him. He may actually be the second best defenceman on this team.

Top 4 defenseman on by far the worst defensive team in the league, and the last placed team to boot, is no great feat, and not an opinion that moves the dial on a contract negotiation.

Wolanin’s deal was a typical rookie deal that provides incentive for the player to keep pushing in year one, the stick, while also providing the faith in his abilities in year two, the carrot.

The hand wringing over this one is just to keep momentum going at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad