Recalled/Assigned: Wolanin down, Englund up

boozeash

Apr 19, 2007
Ottawa
Improved? I dunno about that. Every Belleville game I've seen this year Englund is noticeably the worst player on the ice. He's just cannonfodder for us. Wolanin will provide a lot to Belleville down the stretch when they really really need it.

Out of curiosity, how many Belleville games have you seen this year? I've been to about 25-30 and i haven't noticed England stand out, which is usually a good thing for his style of play. I have seen him step up and make a decent amount of big hits. I've seen him win a fight. He also is second among defensemen in plus minus, and second among his teammates in games played. Maybe his game won't translate to NHL success but if he continues improving at this rate i'd say he has a very good chance.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Also hard when he hits 200+ people a year, blocks 100 shots but gets knocked for his 24 giveaways.

Nobody is knocking him for 24 giveaways, simply providing some context for why that might be. Kind of also explains why he would be up there in hits and blocks (when you don't have the puck, you end up defending).

Reactions: DrEasy

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
Nobody is knocking him for 24 giveaways, simply providing some context for why that might be. Kind of also explains why he would be up there in hits and blocks (when you don't have the puck, you end up defending).

Context being that he doesn't give the puck away very much or generate chances for the other team, I think that was the original point.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Also "hard" is when he hits 200+ people a year, blocks 100+shots (alot of plays broken up) but gets knocked for his 24 giveaways and puck possession.
"Hard" is also what he considers making a tape to tape pass

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Context being that he doesn't give the puck away very much or generate chances for the other team, I think that was the original point.

People can read the same numbers very differently. It may have been your original point, but I don't think you need to feign shock when people dispute what those numbers mean.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
But we have Boro and Harpur. Aren't they big and tough? Why is our D so bad?

Are they really that bad or are they just very inexperienced? Have they not gotten better under Crawford? Ceci looks to be a different player since he & Jaros seem to have changed roles, whereby Jaros is playing the shutdown role more & Ceci is playing with a PMD in Wolanin & people aren't crapping on him as much as they were before. I'm not a big fan of DeMello but he seems to be playing well with Chabot & it allows Chabot to free wheel around the ice, defensively they are a little weak & could be a little better. It might help to put Chabot with a bigger, tougher more defensive minded right shot D. I like Harpur, he is one of the few who can clear the front of the net, he seems pretty tough too & hard to play against & is willing to drop them which Ottawa needs. But he does need to work on making better decisions which comes with experience & if they can get good consistent goaltending as we saw last night, the D could be better.

Next season is anybodies guess, but Boro could get moved by the deadline, Ceci could get moved at the draft or during the summer & who knows what will happen in net. I'm hoping they can add a RD like Seider at the draft, I think that he is the kind of D-man that the Sens need on the right side & it would certainly help the rebuild. I do prefer our D to the Leafs though who I think are way too easy to play against & very soft. I think the team has been a lot better under Crawford & no more 11/7, IMO GB was a big part of the problem with this team.

Reactions: Brannstorm

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Are they really that bad or are they just very inexperienced? Have they not gotten better under Crawford? Ceci looks to be a different player since he & Jaros seem to have changed roles, whereby Jaros is playing the shutdown role more & Ceci is playing with a PMD in Wolanin & people aren't crapping on him as much as they were before. I'm not a big fan of DeMello but he seems to be playing well with Chabot & it allows Chabot to free wheel around the ice, defensively they are a little weak & could be a little better. It might help to put Chabot with a bigger, tougher more defensive minded right shot D. I like Harpur, he is one of the few who can clear the front of the net, he seems pretty tough too & hard to play against & is willing to drop them which Ottawa needs. But he does need to work on making better decisions which comes with experience & if they can get good consistent goaltending as we saw last night, the D could be better.

Next season is anybodies guess, but Boro could get moved by the deadline, Ceci could get moved at the draft or during the summer & who knows what will happen in net. I'm hoping they can add a RD like Seider at the draft, I think that he is the kind of D-man that the Sens need on the right side & it would certainly help the rebuild. I do prefer our D to the Leafs though who I think are way too easy to play against & very soft. I think the team has been a lot better under Crawford & no more 11/7, IMO GB was a big part of the problem with this team.

We are dead last in shots against and in goals against. Yes, yes we are THAT bad.

Harpur is 24 and Boro is almost 30. They're hardly greenhorns as both have been playing pro hockey for several years. Ceci is also 6'2 and 215 and is 25 years old with more than 400 games of NHL experience. Those are our 3 biggest and toughest defenders (with Jaros being similar to Ceci in that department) and yet they are our worst defenders.

So do we need to get bigger and tougher or do we simply need to get better? If getting tougher and bigger is our goal than we should part ways with Chabot, Wolanin and Demelo, while keeping Boro, Harpur and Ceci. Might as well make the farm team's D bigger too and get rid of Brannstrom and Lajoie down there.

Last edited:

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Out of curiosity, how many Belleville games have you seen this year? I've been to about 25-30 and i haven't noticed England stand out, which is usually a good thing for his style of play. I have seen him step up and make a decent amount of big hits. I've seen him win a fight. He also is second among defensemen in plus minus, and second among his teammates in games played. Maybe his game won't translate to NHL success but if he continues improving at this rate i'd say he has a very good chance.
I don't watch Belleville, so I can't really say, but is this really any kind of measure of anything? He won a fight, has a high ranking in a useless stat, and suited up for almost every game seems like a weak argument.

To contribute to the tone of the thread... my vote is Boro, Ceci & Harpur all out this summer and try something else. Lets just fling other shit at the wall to see if it sticks.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
pfftt I will repeat what I said about Harpur twice already

"Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane"

I have never seen Harpur win a 1on1 battle
Yep ,he has one more season to start showing something or he is gonzo...Kid needs to train really hard this offseason and get tougher...

boozeash

Apr 19, 2007
Ottawa
I don't watch Belleville, so I can't really say, but is this really any kind of measure of anything? He won a fight, has a high ranking in a useless stat, and suited up for almost every game seems like a weak argument.

To contribute to the tone of the thread... my vote is Boro, Ceci & Harpur all out this summer and try something else. Lets just fling other **** at the wall to see if it sticks.

Fair enough. My main point was that if he truly was as bad as the guy was trying to say (noticeably the worst player on the team)...I surely would have noticed as i am very critical of players. One player i would like to throw under the bus is Chlapik. While he is undeniably talented, great shot, good skating ability and puck skills. His effort seems to be severely lacking, and he does a lot of bone headed plays. It seems he has been demoted from the number one power play unit. But to contradict myself i would like to see him back on because their power play has been subpar since he was replaced.

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
When he was drafted he was listed about 6'3 190, is now listed as 6"4 205 but looks bigger than that.

" scouting report and draft profile on Swedish defenceman Andreas Englund, a physical defensive defenceman with not much offence."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad