Recalled/Assigned: Wolanin down, Englund up

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Yeah Belleville needs to really make a push in these finals games.

Also helpful to give Englund another look before seasons end. Lord knows we aren't playing for anything meaningful.

Reactions: Bileur

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I’m actually very curious to see how Englund looks up here now.

He looked good last time he was up and has improved since then.
Not super hopeful but would be nice to replace the boro option with him.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Might be one final look at Englund before the team decides to move on. He's an RFA this summer and I don't think anyone would be shocked if he isn't qualified. That being said, the team only have 7D signed for next season so maybe he earns himself a spot in Belleville by default.

Reactions: Cosmix and gab6511

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Nice, no harm in getting one last look at Englund. And Wolanin will help Belleville more anyways

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I’m actually very curious to see how Englund looks up here now.

He looked good last time he was up and has improved since then.
Not super hopeful but would be nice to replace the boro option with him.
Improved? I dunno about that. Every Belleville game I've seen this year Englund is noticeably the worst player on the ice. He's just cannonfodder for us. Wolanin will provide a lot to Belleville down the stretch when they really really need it.

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
Improved? I dunno about that. Every Belleville game I've seen this year Englund is noticeably the worst player on the ice. He's just cannonfodder for us. Wolanin will provide a lot to Belleville down the stretch when they really really need it.
I think his game shows better in a more structured environment like the nhl. We’ll see soon enough. All he has to do is be better than boro and maybe Harpur (who I’ve liked lately) and I’m sold.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I think his game shows better in a more structured environment like the nhl. We’ll see soon enough. All he has to do is be better than boro and maybe Harpur (who I’ve liked lately) and I’m sold.
I've seen Boro play pretty well at the AHL level. Much better than Englund ever has. I also think with the job Mann is doing, Belleville is a much more structured team than whatever the Ottawa Senators have become.

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
I've seen Boro play pretty well at the AHL level. Much better than Englund ever has. I also think with the job Mann is doing, Belleville is a much more structured team than whatever the Ottawa Senators have become.
At the same age?
(I haven’t been a fan of Englund going back to when a lot of people were but I see some potential there. He just turned 23. He may be able to play bottom pair stay at home minutes)

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
At this point I think it’s fair to say Wolanin is 2nd best defenseman. He has figured out to adjust to the NHL pace and has a good offensive touch and a very good breakout pass. If he can get better defensively he can become a very good top 4 defenseman. Hopefully he helps in Belleville.

Reactions: Cosmix and aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Funny, Mann the very respected Belleville coach says he is the most improved player on his roster this yr but we won't believe that because Englund is a stay at home defensive defenceman & people hate those kinds of players on here. We only believe him when he says something good about the "skilled" players that are so admired on here. Somebody has to clear the front of the net, somebody has to separate opposing forwards from the puck, someone has to play defensively against the other team's big tough skilled forwards in the NHL, you can't have all your D be small soft skilled defencemen. Look at Toronto's defence & how soft they are, you need some bigger guys to handle the physical play or they are just so easy to play against.

Reactions: Cosmix

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Funny, Mann the very respected Belleville coach says he is the most improved player on his roster this yr but we won't believe that because Englund is a stay at home defensive defenceman & people hate those kinds of players on here. We only believe him when he says something good about the "skilled" players that are so admired on here. Somebody has to clear the front of the net, somebody has to separate opposing forwards from the puck, someone has to play defensively against the other team's big tough skilled forwards in the NHL, you can't have all your D be small soft skilled defencemen. Look at Toronto's defence & how soft they are, you need some bigger guys to handle the physical play or they are just so easy to play against.
I think it has more to do with Englund being very bad. We all know how great a guy like Hogberg has been playing becoming one of the best goalies in the A. Brown and Paul are now dominant players as well.

Let's be honest, Mann is auditioning for a NHL coaching job. That job is going to involve towing the company line and saying the right things for his GM and owner. That's how these guys operate. Just a few weeks ago, I was at a Belleville game and englund got benched in the third for his poor play.

Englund was called up because he's the weaklink on the AHL roster who's playing a do or die game on Wednesday and they need Wolanin as a ringer. He was losing ice time to Murray and Carlisle over the past week. He didn't over night become a NHL calibre player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad