Wojtek Wolski very underrated by THN

Status
Not open for further replies.

db23

Wolski was in on 40% of the scoring of a very poor Brampton team. Most CHL teams scored half as much again as Brampton's 180 goals last season. If you added an extra 50% to Wojtek's point totals, you have a 6-3, 200 pound, character kid who scored over 100 points as a 17 year old in the OHL. At that you're talking Joe Thornton, Jason Spezza, Vincent Lecavalier, Eric Staal.

Prucha73

db23 said:
Wolski was in on 40% of the scoring of a very poor Brampton team. Most CHL teams scored half as much again as Brampton's 180 goals last season. If you added an extra 50% to Wojtek's point totals, you have a 6-3, 200 pound, character kid who scored over 100 points as a 17 year old in the OHL. At that you're talking Joe Thornton, Jason Spezza, Vincent Lecavalier, Eric Staal.

I also feel he is underrated, but he seems to lack consistansy, intensity and physical play.

db23

Wolski scored 60 points as a 16 year old in the OHL and would have had 100 this season on a reasonably offensive team. When you have a guy who will end up the size of Mario Lemieux and puts up those numbers, you have to take him top 5 at least.

As a % of team scoring, he is ahead of Lecavalier in his draft year. Roughly tied with Thornton, Nash, Stall. Behind Spezza.

Last edited by a moderator:

kovalchuk17atl

Apr 22, 2004
DaveyCrockett said:
According to your logic, Kyle Wellwood should have gone #1 in his year. Point totals in junior aren't indicitave of an ability to score in the pros.

Well if you can't score in juniors it'll be tough to score in the pros. At least he could put up numbers

leafaholix*

Of the top 10 highly touted players for the draft, I can see Wolski being one of the major disappointments in the future.

Especially with the question mark when it comes to intensity... it can't help.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
kovalchuk17atl said:
Well if you can't score in juniors it'll be tough to score in the pros. At least he could put up numbers

Thats false.

Look back on Victoriaville when they had Mallette, MA Thinel, Seb Thinel, Lombardi and Vermette.

2 of the 5 are regular NHLers. (Lombardi and Vermette). Yet they were always 4th and 5th in scoring among those 5 forwards.

Problem is Both Thinels didnt know where there own zone was and Mallette for some reason didnt pan out.

db23

La-La-Laprise said:
Thats false.

Look back on Victoriaville when they had Mallette, MA Thinel, Seb Thinel, Lombardi and Vermette.

2 of the 5 are regular NHLers. (Lombardi and Vermette). Yet they were always 4th and 5th in scoring among those 5 forwards.

Problem is Both Thinels didnt know where there own zone was and Mallette for some reason didnt pan out.

Lombardi and Vermette were at least a year younger than the others.

db23

DaveyCrockett said:
According to your logic, Kyle Wellwood should have gone #1 in his year. Point totals in junior aren't indicitave of an ability to score in the pros.

Wellwood scored the most "pro" points of any player from his draft outside of Kovalchuk.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
If Wolski could have A) Used his size to his advantage more and B) Played more consistant day-to-day hockey, he'd be much higher.

He didn't. And while I agree he's one guy people seem to underrate more than a big, brushing him aside as a peremitre player, he's certainly not giving any impressions of being a superstar at the NHL level either.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
db23 said:
Lombardi and Vermette were at least a year younger than the others.

They never put up their numbers though:

99/00

MA Thinel - 132 pts
Mallette - 125 pts
S. Thinel - 95 pts
Vermette - 71 pts
Lombardi - 44 pts

00/01

MA Thinel - 150 pts
Vermette - 119 pts
S. Thinel - 118 pts
Malette - 83 pts
Lombardi - 67 pts

Vermette and Lombardi are 82 born, other 3 are 81

Pts and NHL carrers have no corellation.

TheZodiac

Oct 24, 2003
Mississauga
Visit site
Wolski just doesn't do it for me right now, he's very timid, he doesn't really use his 6'3" body to his advantage. If there is a team that can wait 3-5 years for him, he will be a keeper as he gets stronger.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
db23 said:

Two words you should consider - Michael Henrich - nuff said.

Prucha73

Asiaoil said:
Two words you should consider - Michael Henrich - nuff said.

huh? why should anyone consider him? Was he in on 40% of his team's goals?

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
db23 said:

new to hockey?

Takkie

I Goc ya nose!
Jun 29, 2003
Florida
Visit site
no, he's just a Stat-head. he thinks stats are the beginning middle and end of prospect evaluation, and never takes into account other factors.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
Takkie said:
no, he's just a Stat-head. he thinks stats are the beginning middle and end of prospect evaluation, and never takes into account other factors.

Well, he's either very stupid or new to hockey. So I'll stick with my first assumption, he's new to hockey. That's my official position since I won' t tell what I really think of him.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
The main line being: he was in on 40% of A VERY POOR TEAM'S SCORING. Battalion was very poor... so, Wolski was the best on a ****** team... I still say 14th-17th overall.

Prucha73

BobMarleyNYR said:
The main line being: he was in on 40% of A VERY POOR TEAM'S SCORING. Battalion was very poor... so, Wolski was the best on a ****** team... I still say 14th-17th overall.

I hope he drops to us at 23 or 24, McGill can make a tough player out of him I think.

Prucha73

BobMarleyNYR said:
Yeah, apparently all he does is work out these days... Wolski that is.

If he starts playing physical and works hard, he could be the steal of the draft.

db23

Obviously stats are important. If one team scores 5 goals per game on average and gives up 2 goals per game on average, that is a stat. So is the 120 points that the team is going to have at the end of the season. So is winning 7 Stanley Cups in 10 years......yada, yada....

Each win, each loss, each goal scored, each goal given up are all stats. Success or failure can be completely described by stats.

The top picks in any draft are the ones who put up the best stats in relation to the level of competition they played at and the age they were when they did it.

Beyond that, Wolski was the third player taken in the midget draft when he became eligible and was the MVP of his team at the prospects game. He has been a regular on international teams for his age group, and was an OHL First Team All Star.

He has size, skill, and character. He will grow to be about 6-4 and 225 or 230 pounds. What else do you want?

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
I think he'll go around 10-15th overall. Though, in a close (talent-wise) Draft it's usually more about filling holes in the respective organizations.
In that case, I could see up to four goalies and 7 D-men go in the Fist Round. So in that case a fwrd like Wojtek could drop...but also be a steal.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
db23 said:
Obviously stats are important. If one team scores 5 goals per game on average and gives up 2 goals per game on average, that is a stat. So is the 120 points that the team is going to have at the end of the season. So is winning 7 Stanley Cups in 10 years......yada, yada....

Each win, each loss, each goal scored, each goal given up are all stats. Success or failure can be completely described by stats.

The top picks in any draft are the ones who put up the best stats in relation to the level of competition they played at and the age they were when they did it.

Beyond that, Wolski was the third player taken in the midget draft when he became eligible and was the MVP of his team at the prospects game. He has been a regular on international teams for his age group, and was an OHL First Team All Star.

He has size, skill, and character. He will grow to be about 6-4 and 225 or 230 pounds. What else do you want?

But, the only 'stats' that truly matter are those that they post in the pro leagues. Which makes everything before that point irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad