Wojtek Wolski remembers on his career in Denver

EurolancheDavid

Wojtek Wolski was the 21st overall pick of the 2004 NHL Entry Draft. After being drafted by the Colorado Avalanche, Wolski went on to play another season in the OHL, before getting the call up to the NHL, where he remained with the Avalanche until being traded to the Phoenix Coyotes in on March 3, 2010. After stints with the Coyotes, the New York Rangers, the Florida Panthers and the Washington Capitals, Wolski decided to sign for Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod of the KHL. Wolski has already played 12 games in the KHL, scoring 3 goals and getting 5 assists.

You left the NHL after 8 seasons. What’s the most difficult thing for you in Russia?

It’s a new country, a new culture, a totally different way of life. I’m just getting used to that. The practices, coaches. Everything’s different from the NHL, it’s just a whole new experience. I think it’s just another phase in my life. Might be the best thing that ever happened to me. You never know. Some people are just too worried about what can happen, but at this point in my life, I think I’ve just moved on and I’m excited about a new opportunity.

What made you move over to Russia?

The last couple of years I‘ve had injuries, I haven’t had great seasons. As I get older, I just want to play and enjoy hockey. Obviously, I want to build a financial foundation for myself and my family. I think the KHL allows you to do just that. I have a great opportunity here and it’s been fun so far.

Isn’t it hard for you to speak and understand Russian?

It is. I speak Polish, so there are similarities. I’ve been trying to learn Russian, I’ve been taking lessons. It’s going to take some time, but I think I’m going to be here for a couple years so might as well learn the language. A lot of the guys from our team speak English, the coaches speak some, too. They’ve been helping us a lot.

Have you already adjusted yourself to the different style of hockey here?

Yeah, it’s different. Training camps are way longer, you play so many games before you even start the season, so there’s definitely an adjustment period. I think it’s finished and I’m just trying to get ready for every game.

FULL INTERVIEW: http://eurolanche.com/article.php?id=3617

Kschey

Avs/BorussiaDortmund
Jul 4, 2010
Nice interview. Thanks for posting it!

Did he mention any names of the players he meant who would like to play for Poland?

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Szymon Szemberg ‏@Sz1909_Szemberg 4 min
Russian media writes Canadians Tim Brent, Wojtek Wolski will be traded to newcomer Admiral Vladivostok by Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod #KHL

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The whole interview screamed to me... "I don't like hockey, but I am good at it and it makes me a ton of money so I will keep playing."

Which that outlook is probably Wolski's biggest problem. If he cared just a little bit, he would have been a superstar.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I will always like Wolski and he seems like a good guy too, but there will always be a side of me that will think, "what if the guy showed some passion?" If he did, he would have easily been a PPG player and still on our club.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
I will always like Wolski and he seems like a good guy too, but there will always be a side of me that will think, "what if the guy showed some passion?" If he did, he would have easily been a PPG player and still on our club.

What if ? ....Well he had all the Tools to be a top player in the NHL ,but he didnt have the will to make his place and be able to play on almost every top lines in the NHL . Someone may have all the talent in the world, if he doesnt make the effort, that needs to be done to succeed , he's gonna waste that talent , no matter how great it is .

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

I felt the same way about Pavel Brendl for many years. Watched him junior the guy was a monster

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I'm not sure I've ever seen an Avalanche player who frustrated me more. There have been plenty I really didn't like because they were overplayed or misused...but Wolski would absolutely show up in a shootout every single night...and everytime he gave us that "extra" point I couldn't help but think if he'd shown up a few minutes earlier we could've kept the opposing team from getting a point as well. Can't believe I'm talking Sacco language here but seriously...Wolski never understood at what time the game began. It was the first whistle...not the last one that signified when he could commence with a shootout attempt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad