WNBA may expand for 2024 season

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Paywall.

Commissioner Cathy Engelbert told The Athletic she hopes to identify one or two cities for an expansion franchise by the start of the WNBA playoffs in September or by year’s end at the latest. Those new teams could begin to play as early as the 2024 season, she said. This would be the first time the league has added an expansion team since the Atlanta Dream were founded in 2008.

League started with list of 100 potential cities, now down to 10-12. Have considered 25 or so things about potential cities. Harder to determine value of potential franchises.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Based on Masai Ujiri's end of the season presser I feel like MLSE is ready to go with a bid. I would go to a game or two with my daughter.

Reactions: Roadrage

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
They started with a list of 100 cities? I mean.... I appreciate thoroughness, but that seems a tad excessive in initial consideration, unless they're counting multiple suburbs of larger cities individually as well.

Reactions: OG6ix

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
They started with a list of 100 cities? I mean.... I appreciate thoroughness, but that seems a tad excessive in initial consideration, unless they're counting multiple suburbs of larger cities individually as well.

Eh, not really, because there's two ways of looking at it... (and this is where MLS royally screwed up)

We know from being hockey fans that the really big markets, with tons of sports entertainment options, aren't always the best for ticket sales, attendance and ratings; because the marketplace is so crowded and a niche sport can be a total after thought (Arizona Coyotes, Florida Panthers for example)

And lots of times, a franchise can be a huge success by being that cities only major pro sports team (San Jose Sharks, Nashville Predators, Portland Trailblazers, Seattle Storm).

But another dynamic is place with a big women's college basketball following (like the Connecticut Sun)

The league wants a mix of all things.

I don't think they'd be counting every different zip code as one place, but like, in New York, you have four NBA/NHL arenas, one filled, so that probably counts as three cities to consider.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Interesting to see Columbia, SC on that list. Not saying it won't happen because I get the argument but Columbia even as a minor-league town has had some, iffyness.

There is some potential for corporate dollars but the locals would really need to show they're willing to make something like the WNBA be a thing in town.

That said I actually hope they get it. Could end up being a really good atmosphere, much better than if they tried Charlotte again or went to Raleigh or Greensboro.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad