Celebrity Death: WKRP's Frank Bonner Dead at 79

the squared circle

Aug 3, 2005
Maple Leaf Gardens
WKRP's Frank Bonner Dead at 79

By Matt Webb Mitovich / June 17 2021, 12:43 PM PDT
wkrp-frank-bonner.jpg

Courtesy of Everett Collectio

Frank Bonner, best known for donning nightmarish iterations of plaid as WKRP in Cincinnati salesman Herb Tarlek, died on Wednesday as a result of complications from Lewy body dementia, TMZ reported. He was 79.
TV Stars We Lost in 2021

Launch Gallery

“I’m deeply saddened to let you know that our beloved Frank Bonner passed away today at age 79,” his daughter Desiree Boers-Kort shared with a WKRP Facebook group. “He loved his fans and was still signing autograph requests up until the last few weeks of his illness. Thank you to all who followed his career. He will be forever missed.”
Prior to his time in Cincinnati, Bonner guested on numerous TV series including The Young Lawyers, The F.B.I., Emergency!, Love, American Style and Cannon. Come 1978, he would make his debut as hapless Herb, a role he would play throughout the sitcom’s four-season run.
Bonner reprised the role in the 1991 spinoff The New WKRP in Cincinnati and in a 2004 music video for Canadian indie rock band Rheostatics (for the song “The Tarleks,” watch it here).
Bonner’s subsequent TV credits included episodes of The Love Boat, Newhart, Scarecrow and Mrs. King, Sidekicks, Just the Ten of Us and Saved by the Bell: The New Class.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Herb Tarlek was a great character. He was the typical 70s sitcom "jerk" who would usually end up looking foolish, but he had just enough moments of humanity that fans could never really dislike him.

Fun fact: Howard Hesseman was originally invited to audition for the role of Herb, and not Johnny. The original plan was for Herb Tarlek to be a phony smooth-talker. Bonner changed him into a harmless loser.

Reactions: discostu

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
One of my favorite episodes was the one where Herb and his family were profiled on a family reality TV show. Reality TV was basically unheard of at the time.. seeing that episode in reruns seems prophetic. And watching that episode as a kid I noticed LA palm trees, when it was larping as suburban Cincinnati.. Herb was a great character tho.

Reactions: spintheblackcircle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad