WJHC Goaltending?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
Who will be in net for each of the teams and who goes in with the best goaltending??

Obviously, with Montoya back, the US will likely have the best goaltending.

Canada will likely go with one of Nastiuk, Shantz, Munce or Dubnyk.

How about the European teams?

Weber Fan

Feb 13, 2003
Quebec city
Visit site
Douggy said:
Who will be in net for each of the teams and who goes in with the best goaltending??

Heino-Lindberg drafted by Montreal should be the starter for Sweden...

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Douggy said:

I guess Schwarz for Czech.
Barulin for the Russians.
Ehelechner for the Germans maybe?

Thats about all I would guess right now.

Lord

Barulin is too old to play in the WJC, he is 1984.
I guess Anton Khudobin would be a starter for team Russia, especially after his good performances in the games against Quebec team. Nobody can beat him right now. Borisov is far from being a consistent goalkeeper, others are not proven at high level at all.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
I heard the US is going with Montoya and Holt. Not saying Holt is better than Schenieder, but in the camp over the summer he outplayed every goalie, including Montoya. Thats what I've heard (forgot where). Not sure if its true.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
NYRangers said:
I heard the US is going with Montoya and Holt. Not saying Holt is better than Schenieder, but in the camp over the summer he outplayed every goalie, including Montoya. Thats what I've heard (forgot where). Not sure if its true.
He played very well, but there's more to the selection process than just how he performed at the camp, or else Schremp would definitely not be on the team. I'd say with Schneider's good start to the year, he should definitely get it. Especially since he performed extremely well at the U-18's last year.

leafaholix*

Komi#1 said:
Heino-Lindberg drafted by Montreal should be the starter for Sweden...
He should?

David Rautio was team Sweden's MVP a couple weeks ago in the 4 nations tournament.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Leafaholix said:
He should?

David Rautio was team Sweden's MVP a couple weeks ago in the 4 nations tournament.

From what I understand Heino-Lindberg will be on the team no doubt and should be the starter. He got a SO in that 4 Nations tournament in the only game he played (unless he played another game and I missed it) But he's been one of the top goalies in the Allsvenskan, numbers wise all season long. He's is putting up impressive numbers for Hammarby. Guess we'll see who gets the starts.

Also the Habs Jaroslav Halak could be the starter for Team Slovakia, unless another goalie steps up. He did well for the most part in last year's wjc's, as he faced a ton of shots.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Koltsov said:
The best is definitely the US with Montoya and Schneider. They'll probably be the best in 06 as well with Schneider coming back.

and what would your answer be if you did not include your Canuck bias and your Rose coloured glasses didn't cloud your judgement ??

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
The Messenger said:
and what would your answer be if you did not include your Canuck bias and your Rose coloured glasses didn't cloud your judgement ??

I think most non-canuck fans would agree with me that USA has the strongest goaltending, and your the last one who should be talking about having a bias.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
BuppY said:
I want to see Shantz make Team Canada!!! :D
me too :D

and Roussin and Meyer and Stewart and Horton and every other half decent canadian prospect FLA has, but only Stewart is gonna make it and Horton if he plays.

At least Shantz IMO has a legit shot at making the team. He could be a steal in the second round where we got him.

The way Horton is playing in the AHL, Team Canada may not want him, they might pick Brule or Perry over him. Horton sucks in the AHL right now with only 1 goal in 12 games. Of course I'm sure they'd just put him on the team if he went to the camp though.

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
PanthersRule said:
me too :D

and Roussin and Meyer and Stewart and Horton and every other half decent canadian prospect FLA has, but only Stewart is gonna make it and Horton if he plays.

At least Shantz IMO has a legit shot at making the team. He could be a steal in the second round where we got him.

The way Horton is playing in the AHL, Team Canada may not want him, they might pick Brule or Perry over him. Horton sucks in the AHL right now with only 1 goal in 12 games. Of course I'm sure they'd just put him on the team if he went to the camp though.

I wanted the Leafs to take David Shantz but he was taken in the 2nd round and Leafs didn't have a 2nd rounder.
I think horton will be alright, he is just adjusting to the AHL game, He will start producing. :D

Ego

Mar 15, 2002
Slovakia
Visit site
Habs' prospect Jaroslav Halak (Lewiston) and Sabres' prospect Michal Valent should fight for starting job in Slovak Team. Halak will probably win it as he has more international experience.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
I am a bit worried about Montoya. Perhaps he is suffering from post NHL Draft syndrome but he has not looked good at all the few times that I've seen him. He better get his head on straight or he will quickly become the archilles heel for the U.S. team.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
VOB said:
I am a bit worried about Montoya. Perhaps he is suffering from post NHL Draft syndrome but he has not looked good at all the few times that I've seen him. He better get his head on straight or he will quickly become the archilles heel for the U.S. team.

Yeah, I've noticed his numbers haven't been all that impressive this year. He has a good record, but his save percentage and GAA aren't that great. It makes me wonder who the U.S. will take as a back-up? I'm thinking it will be Schneider, but maybe they go with a more "experienced" guy, or at least someone who is on top of his game this year?? There are a few candidates out there:

Mike Brown
Gerald Coleman
Joe Fallon
Chris Holt
Wylie Rogers

I'm just throwing names out there, but if Montoya falters (not saying he will), the U.S. will need a guy to step in that can get the job done.

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site
Leafaholix said:
He should?

Heino-Lindbergh stood only game and shut down the chechz. They wanted to see more of David Rautio, since Heino-Lindbergh is already a lock for the team.

Heino-Lindbergh will be the starter. He has been doing really great in Hammarby and allsvenskan(SEL 2 ). But you never know. Rautio has some scary skills. I can´t see why this kid is not drafted.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
VOB said:
Didn't he do that last year too? Played horribly the first little while of the season, managed the starting job on team USA, played amazing then went back the NCAA and continued on?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Fedz said:
Didn't he do that last year too? Played horribly the first little while of the season, managed the starting job on team USA, played amazing then went back the NCAA and continued on?

Since NCAA players play relatively few games, stats can be misleading, especially early in a season. I'd look at his numbers at the end of the year to get the full story.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
Rabid Ranger said:
Since NCAA players play relatively few games, stats can be misleading, especially early in a season. I'd look at his numbers at the end of the year to get the full story.
Even then, stats can be somewhat misleading at times. We really don't know how Montoya is doing, only the guys that see him game in, game out do.

I'm sure he'll be fine, come time for the WJCs.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Postman said:
Even then, stats can be somewhat misleading at times. We really don't know how Montoya is doing, only the guys that see him game in, game out do.

I'm sure he'll be fine, come time for the WJCs.

Goalie stats are really a reflection of the team in front of them coupled with their own abilities. Given that, however, Montoya did not look good the three times that I saw him and little of his poor performance could be blamed on the rest of Michigan's players.

I agree that it is still to early to be concerned but I hope the U.S. coaching staff keeps a good eye on him leading up to and through the tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->