WJC's

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Well both Pelletier & Zary are at the Canadian camp...whats your senerio: Do both make it, or only one?

Any other of our guys at camps? Hoping we can see a Cheech/Wolf battle. Also hoping Poirier can prove enough to get an invite next year.

Will Kuznetsov/Nikolaev play for Russia?

Can't wait for some real hockey....this is going to be big for so many of us.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
I'd say Pelletier probably makes it. Zary competes, but is less likely.

Wolf is almost a lock. Nodler likely doesn't get in on the US roster.

Kuznetsov, Nikolayev. and Chechelev most likely don't make the Russian roster (none of them were on the national team for the Karjala cup, which is usually a sign you'll be on the WJC team). Of them, Nikolayev has the best chance at sneaking on to the roster, but it's still not likely. Chech has been lights-out, but with Askarov almost being guaranteed as the starter, and a few other high-end goalies, Chech most likely doesn't even get close.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I think their chances are directly related to the NHL start date. If Laf and Dach are there Zary and Pelletier are competing for 4th line and extra slots if they even make the team. If the NHL starts around the tournament time Dach and Laf are gone and Cousins could be out too, in that scenario I think they both have a pretty good chance of making it.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Don't think either have a particularly good chance of making Team Canada. Not a bad one either but more like 35-40% than 50/50. Also depends on when the NHL season is going to start and whether or not some players clear their players to play. It's a even more stacked forward roster for Canada this year than usual so it'll be tough to crack.

Wolf is likely in pen as the US #2 behind Spencer Knight.

Think I read somewhere that Larionov mentioned he would like Kuznetsov at camp but Russia usually goes with the oldest possible D. Nikolaev has a bit better of a shot since Russia's center group is pretty weak. He's not off to a particularly good start in the KHL though.

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
I'd say Pelletier probably makes it. Zary competes, but is less likely.

Wolf is almost a lock. Nodler likely doesn't get in on the US roster.

Kuznetsov, Nikolayev. and Chechelev most likely don't make the Russian roster (none of them were on the national team for the Karjala cup, which is usually a sign you'll be on the WJC team). Of them, Nikolayev has the best chance at sneaking on to the roster, but it's still not likely. Chech has been lights-out, but with Askarov almost being guaranteed as the starter, and a few other high-end goalies, Chech most likely doesn't even get close.
Kuznetsov is basically a lock for Russia.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
When the hyperbolic posting style start from you? Genuinely curious because I don't remember this when I joined a few years ago lol.

I think he forgot to insert "Flame" after Canadian. But even that would be debateable...

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
When the hyperbolic posting style start from you? Genuinely curious because I don't remember this when I joined a few years ago lol.

Honestly I’ve been this way my whole life. But maybe due to CoVid it’s been amped up more of late because my mental sanity teaders depending on the day lol.

Good to hear about Zary though. Hopefully he makes the team as well as Pelletier.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
So the first Team Canada intersquad scrimmage was tonight, I watched the majority of the game.

Pelletier had 1 goal and an assist. He should have had another assist as he gave LaPierre a wide open net but Brochu made a huge save on him. All in all he had a good game and was one of the best forwards between both teams. Won a faceoff cleanly too that allowed his team to kill some time on the 5 on 3 PK.

Zary wasn't as good, he wasn't bad but you could tell he hasn't played a game in 6 months. Had some turnovers (nothing too costly but he could have been quicker to move the puck) but at the same time the wingers he had for the first half of the game gave him almost no passing options. He showed some good forechecking skills but should have been harder on the puck at some points. All that out of the way he still had an assist and a few decent scoring chances.

https://twitter.com/JDylanBurke/status/1330345775188983808?s=19

https://twitter.com/JDylanBurke/status/1330323640819224576?s=20

https://twitter.com/HeresYourReplay/status/1330330329526267906?s=19

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Hopefully Pelletier makes the team (he has a good chance), but I can't see Zary make it. In front of him down the middle you got Byfield, Cozens and Dach. He's battling 4 other guys for that final C position.

Hopefully both make the team though along with some other Flames prospects.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Dack: Who were Pelletier/Zary lined up with, and was there any good chemistry?
Pelletier mainly played with Lapierre and Perfetti but started to get moved around towards the end because his team was down and he had been one of their better players. Lapierre didn't have a very strong game IMO and Perfetti was invisible until the 3rd, I thought Pelletier was good but there wasn't much chemistry there yet (it's a shame he and Zary are on different teams because they played on the same line at the U18s I think.

I thought Zary had noticeably poor chemistry with most of his linemates. He mainly played with Beckman and Tomasino, Zary didn't look game ready and played a little slowly but I didn't think those two did a very good job of supporting him on the rush. I noticed a few times where neither of them were moving while Zary tried to skate it through 3-4 guys. Later on he began playing with McMichael and Clarke and I thought he was better with them, McMichael is faster and a good puck carrier I thought that line had more chemistry than the first line Zary played on.

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
Dach, Zary and Tomasino were the dominant line in tonight's game. If they play as well on Tuesday they may well be on a line at the WJC. Good chemistry and Tomasino and Zary were always in a position for Dach' set ups.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
More Canada camp tonight, not streamed because the bubble is limited to coaches players and the few media guys already in there.

They didn't post a boxscore from this game but they mentioned some stats.

6-4 win for Zary's team over Pelletier's team. Zary had 1G, Pelletier we don't know because there was no boxscore but Newhook (his center) scored so maybe he had a point or two. Pelletier's line with Holloway and Newhook was the best line on team red according to head coach Tourigny.

He also said this about Pelletier:

I'm just going off of coach talk and what I've seen in the scrimmages but I think Pelletier is probably making the team (coach likes him, great first scrimmage, good start of second scrimmage, and his line was very good tonight). Bob McKenzie also had him as a frontrunner in the TSN world junior countdown. Zary is probably a slight bit lower but the coach has said he was one of their best players in the drills, he has 5 points in 3 camp games, he can play any position and he's responsible defensively.

The chances of at least one being there are high IMO and both isn't crazy. The issue is about 8 spots were locked before camp and there are a lot of really good forwards fighting over the final 6 spots.

Last edited:

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I haven't seen it anywhere, but are you saying the team will be keeping 14 F's?
They would need replacements ready to go, so they do need more than a regular year. How many D will they keep - 8?

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I haven't seen it anywhere, but are you saying the team will be keeping 14 F's?
They would need replacements ready to go, so they do need more than a regular year. How many D will they keep - 8?

Yes the team is allowed 25 roster players due to covid. Most likely 14F 8D and 3G, I think they can dress 22 per game as well. With the way ther lines are organized tonight, I think both make the team unless Zary plays very poorly both make the team and potentially as everyday players.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Hoping both Zary and Pelletier make the team, would be cool to see two Flames forward prospects on Team Canada.

Coach seems to love both players work ethic and how each can be played with any player in any position, so it makes them more valuable in that way.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->