WJCs in Canada in 2009 and 2012?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flamesfan01800

Jun 30, 2003
Saskatoon, Sask
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
I won't sit here and say the U.S. is the favorite, but we will ice a pretty nice team. Some projections (at least who I would pick):

Goaltenders:

Cory Schneider
Jeff Frazee

Defense:

Matt Lashoff
Jack Johnson
Mike Brennan
Mike Sauer
Nate Hagemo
A.J. Thelen
Bob Sanguinetti

Forwards:

Chris Bourque
Rob Schremp
Tom Fritsche
Bobby Ryan
Phil Kessel
Peter Mueller
Jordan LaVallee
Adam Pineault
Brandon Dubinsky
Jack Skille
Kevin Porter
Chad Kolarik

Goaltender
Devan Dubnyk
Carey Price

D Man
Cam Barker
Mark Fistric
Wes O'Niell
Andy Rodgers
Jeff Schultz
Luc Bourdon
Marc Staal

Forwards
Sidney Crosby
Dave Bolland
Kyle Chipchura
Wojtek Wolski
Guillaume Latendresse
Ryan O'Marra
Gilbert Brule
Andrew Cogliano
Devin Setoguchi
Alex Bourret
Kenndal McArdle
Benoit Pouliot
Chris Lawrence

This is not going to be the canadian team most likely but that does not look like that bad of a team and should be somewhat competitive

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
God Bless Canada said:
Smart move by the IIHF. The WJCs get more support in Canada than any other international hockey tournament in any other country. All games in Vancouver (two 16,000-plus seat arenas) are sold out. Kamloops and Kelowna aren't far behind. It's not uncommon to see the host team's games sold out, but games between Belarus and Switzerland usually draw flies.

Hopefully other countries around the world will start to realize that this is the most exciting international tournament in hockey, and start to support it more. That way, Canada can go back to hosting it every four or five years. But at this time, in terms of drawing the public, it's the best move.

I think Ottawa's a lock to host one of them in 2009 or 2012. That would likely eliminate any other Ontario city. Quebec City likely won't get it, because they have the Worlds in 2008. St. John's might be a candidate, along with Calgary (never hosted it on its own before) or Saskatoon, which did a great job in 1991. (Although the WJC may have outgrown that city's arena).

As for this year: Canada's crop of 1987s is almost as good as its 1985s, which tore this year's WJCs apart. Not as many good 1986s, but there are a few goodies, like Pouliot, Barker, Bolland and Chipchura. If the NHL lockout isn't settled, Canada will get to use all of their 1987s, and they'll dominate. If the NHL is back, Crosby will be gone, but Canada will still have guys like Price, Brule (a future franchise forward), Staal, Bourret and Latendresse, among others.

A joint Calgary/Edmonton bid would be awesome! Perhaps just Calgary by itself considering they have a major junior club right now in that city, but some games in Edmonton would probably be a HOT ticket as well.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
flamesfan01800 said:
Goaltender
Devan Dubnyk
Carey Price

D Man
Cam Barker
Mark Fistric
Wes O'Niell
Andy Rodgers
Jeff Schultz
Luc Bourdon
Marc Staal

Forwards
Sidney Crosby
Dave Bolland
Kyle Chipchura
Wojtek Wolski
Guillaume Latendresse
Ryan O'Marra
Gilbert Brule
Andrew Cogliano
Devin Setoguchi
Alex Bourret
Kenndal McArdle
Benoit Pouliot
Chris Lawrence

This is not going to be the canadian team most likely but that does not look like that bad of a team and should be somewhat competitive

Throw in some guys lke McGrath, Garlock, Clune, Little, Reddox, Ryder, Wharton, Bertram, Mikkelson, Russell and things start to get pretty crowded in there!

Divine Wind

Hedberg16 said:
I think Quebec City will get to host one of them and Ottawa will host the other.

I heard a rumour last year about Edmonton in 2008, so i would not count us out of the bid.

Garp

Jul 5, 2004
Here
I think they'll give 2008 to Québec city because it's the 400 anniversary of the city.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad