WJCh performance - does it a realy big influence on draft ranking?

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Has the WJCh performance realy a big influence on draft rankinking?

because i read already an article on Hockey News "2011 NHL draft mid-season top 10 rankings" and there are still prospects, they weren't or showed nothing on this WJCh.

For example Nugent-Hopkins, Armia is also mentioned...

And when i remember correctly, also Marian Gaborik has a very poor WJCh in his draft year.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Yes and no.

Scouts dont penalize a prospect for having a poor WJC in their draft year. It's typically a 19 year-old tournament and these kids are coming in at 17 so they aren't expected to have huge roles and really stick out.

For those that do (see: Niederreiter 2010), it can really help.

That said, six games in late December/early January isn't the end all be all for the scouting community.

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
My guess would be that the U-18s would have a greater impact on a team's final draft board, seeing as how the U-18s feature the players who are eligible and not already drafted, and that they're fresher in the minds of scouts since the U-18 tournament takes place much closer to draft day.

Sure, an outstanding U-20 tourney for a draft-eligible player will leave an impression, but by the time the draft comes up, a draft-eligible player who had a good U-20 will have also had another three months or so of play in his own league to draft impressions from.

sousuffer

May 3, 2007
Manny Malhotra was drafted higher by the Rangers and busted big time because of a good tournament...I imagine some teams have learned their lesson.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
I'd imagine that international tournaments are a place where you could see a player playing under a different coach, with different linemates, in a different role, and on a higher level of competition. This might offer a slightly different perspective and could chance the outlook on some prospects.

Some scouting agencies seem to put a lot of value on international tournaments when ranking European prospects. This could be a sign that they don't have enough resources to scout them on their club teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad