WJC06 Team Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Crossroads said:
Yeah, after 9 games played. :shakehead Because Ramo has played well in 9 games, that makes him better than a goaltender that a professional scouting staff thought was good enough to draft in the first round.

I don't like your logic.

Rask >> Ramo.

Uhhuh...Rämö has been clearly better this year, he has the potential to become better but AT THIS POINT Rämö is ahead.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Haha, I love it. People who have no bias towards either are easily picking Ramo...people who see both play often...

...but the one stalwart is here, insisting up and down that Rask is better, coincidentally a fan of the team that drafted Rask. Wheeew.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
nomorekids said:
Haha, I love it. People who have no bias towards either are easily picking Ramo...people who see both play often...

...but the one stalwart is here, insisting up and down that Rask is better, coincidentally a fan of the team that drafted Rask. Wheeew.

What are you suggesting....?

:sarcasm:

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
nomorekids said:

I think people are assuming b/c he was the starter last year

Crossroads*

nomorekids said:

YOU are criticizing ME for homerism? Now I've heard/seen it all.

hameenlinna

Aug 10, 2005
Ramo is the starter

Raimo Sillanpää said:
both Rämö and Rask have been good this year. I'd pick Rämö as 1a and Rask as 1b and let the hot glove carry the job..

I'd definitely let Ramo play. If he doesn't deliver against Canada, it's Rask's turn. But I feel Ramo will be tournament all-star goalie - he's like Lehtonen in 2001-02, but flashier and way better stick-handler. I actually think he's a better stick-handler than any Finnish defenceman on the team. Now that's funny.

Beware, other countries. Rask isn't much behind him...

hifk88

Nov 2, 2005
Helsinki
TORRUS said:
Is that the final roster? Isn't it too early to name the final roster? When do they start their pre tournament tour against Finnish senior teams and how many games will they play?

Finland U-20 has been playing this hole season against Finnish second level senior teams...They have had lots of time to preporation to WJC´s 2006 and test players......
So i think they are ready to take medal at this tournament....
Its to bad that Nokelainen is injured but Perttu Lindgren has been very very good (I meant) very very very very good in SM-Liiga...
So he can placed Nokelainen in 1 line...with Tukonen and Korpikoski!
Tuukka Rask Vs. Karri Rämö...I would give Rask to play against Canada and Switzerland...And Rämö against USA and Norway..and then deside whos gonna play rest of the tournament....
I hope that Teemu Laakso can show everyone that he is an All-Star defender in WJC`s this year... :yo:

Last edited:

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
That's a good looking team, with a very experienced top end (this is Tukonen's 3rd WJC is it not?). I think alot could depend on Joensu and how he progresses from alst year's tourney.

This team is a very serious medal contender IMO.

Erik

Jul 28, 2004
Tampa, FL
Crossroads said:
Yeah, after 9 games played. :shakehead Because Ramo has played well in 9 games, that makes him better than a goaltender that a professional scouting staff thought was good enough to draft in the first round.

I don't like your logic.

Rask >> Ramo.

Well, Ramo has been injured this year. Not even judging by the games played this year, just take a look at the Junior stats last year (Where Rask played for first place Ilves, and Ramo played for the awful Pelicans). You know, a professional scouting staff once decided to pick Artem Kriukov when Alexander Frolov was available. Professional scouting staffs aren't always right. I admit my bias here, pretty much all I'm saying is that your logic stinks.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Roughneck said:
That's a good looking team, with a very experienced top end (this is Tukonen's 3rd WJC is it not?). I think alot could depend on Joensu and how he progresses from alst year's tourney.

This team is a very serious medal contender IMO.

IMO, Finland is the 2nd best team in the tournament behind the USA.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Crossroads said:

I don't like your logic.

Rask >> Ramo.

Rämö is way ahead of Rask right now, and has much more serious game experience this year. He has been very good, and should be the starter for sure. I am not saying that he will be better than Rask in the future, but right now, no contest.

I know other finns already told you this, just wanted to add another unbiased opinion in favour of Rämö. I believe he is the #1 goalie in the tournament, not just team Finland.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
Rämö played his 10th game of the season on monday against League #2 team Kärpät (Would have been #1 if they won) and stopped 25/26 shots in a 2-1 home win and was clearly the best player of the game. He now has the best GAA and save% of the league.

Tonight Rämö and Rask will play against each other.

Dominus

Nov 5, 2004
jepjepjoo said:
Tonight Rämö and Rask will play against each other.

...And Rask (24 saves) owned Rämö (21 saves), as Ilves won 4-1. Does that mean Rask's gonna be the starter for sure?

Come on people! It's freaking ridicilous to say that Rämö is way ahead of Rask, or that he's been clearly better than Rask, or that he should definitively be the number one goalie in the tournament. Someone even said that Rämö "has much more serious game experience this year". What the hell does that mean? Rask has played more men's league games than Rämö. Period.

We have two excellent goalies who both should get a chance in the tournament.

Dominus

Nov 5, 2004
Douggy said:
4 Goalies? Why?

Coach Aravirta said that Helenius and Hovinen will both be in Canada with U18 national team at the time of the WJC tournament, so it was convinient to pick them as reserve goalies.

Douggy said:
Will Rask still be elligable in 2007?

Yes.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Ipa said:
We have two excellent goalies who both should get a chance in the tournament.

They probably will too. We all know Aravirta. He usually lets everyone play.

I just saw the clips from the game and Rämö did not let any softies in. The only one Rask let in was a bit of a soft goal, but he more than made up for it with 24 saves.

Excellent prospects both of them. Rask is a year younger so that would make him my favourite over Rämö in the future, but as of right now, Rämö is more experienced.

Rämö played 26 games in SM-liiga last season and played very well. Rask did not play last year, well at least not against men. This year Rask has 3 more starts, so that still puts Rämö 23 games ahead. That is what I meant by experience...Rämö had to face a ton of shots in the worst team of the league last year, he really had to "learn the hard way" but he did well.

I am not biased on this matter, I dont like either of their teams better than the other, just calling it how I see it

Dominus

Nov 5, 2004
psycho_dad said:
Rämö played 26 games in SM-liiga last season and played very well. Rask did not play last year, well at least not against men.

Actually Rask played a few men's SM-liiga games last season, but admittedly he sucked in those games.

psycho_dad said:
I am not biased on this matter, I dont like either of their teams better than the other, just calling it how I see it

I didn't say you are biased. I just find it weird that almost everybody seems to think that Rämö is clearly so much better goalie even at this point of time. Though obviously I am very biased. :)

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Ipa said:
Though obviously I am very biased. :)

I know, thats why I wanted to mention I am not...so you could maybe take my opinion like it is. I really dont mean to downplay Rask's performance and I believe he will be better of those two in a long run, but in the WJC I would start with Rämö.

I love the fact that there are just more and more amazing goalies coming out from Finland. Last night I watched the Flyers-Flames game and Finnish goalies OWNED. Kipper made a "save of the year" and about 5 amazing saves in just the third period, and Niittymäki was very solid and especially in the shootout he shined.

Made me think about the finnish goalie situation...

Kiprusoff
Niittymäki
Markkanen
Toskala
Noronen
Lehtonen
Toivonen
Rinne
Rämö
Rask

And I am probably forgetting some names. That list looks like we will have solid goaltending for a long time, and could see a long list of starting finnish goaltenders in the NHL for years to come.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Yes psycho_dad , Finland is becoming one of the 'powerhouse' in goalie production . Last year AHL semi-finals made it clear with Toivonen , Lethonen and Niittymaki as starters of their teams .

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site
psycho_dad said:
Kiprusoff
Niittymäki
Markkanen
Toskala
Noronen
Lehtonen
Toivonen
Rinne
Rämö
Rask

And I am probably forgetting some names. That list looks like we will have solid goaltending for a long time, and could see a long list of starting finnish goaltenders in the NHL for years to come.
Jeez. Did you guys have to take Wiikman? He was raised in Sweden, and played several games for the juniornational team. :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->